Going turbo, too many problems... need help

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I replied to your fuel pump thread.

I dont believe my slot-style has a gasket. If you find that it's leaking you could easily make one.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
Man these "problems" are gifts lol....Having a turbo car will help you become very familiar with the underside of that hood. It's not a bad thing, just the norm with having a ton of custom things done to the car.

04yfzkid

Established Member
Man these "problems" are gifts lol....Having a turbo car will help you become very familiar with the underside of that hood. It's not a bad thing, just the norm with having a ton of custom things done to the car.

I started this thread about 3 months after working on it almost daily. To put it in perspective, I built this truck in 2 weeks having never installed suspension before or touching a 9" lol

DSC_2090copy.jpg

Mounted the IAT like juiced post a picture of, thanks!

20140414_231953_zpsuhqlmlqh.jpg

Haven't been active in this thread lately because things are finally going a lot smoother. Got the fuel system plummed for the most part. Just waiting for my fuel pump brackets to be cut out, make my last fuel line, and wire the pumps. Also still have to figure out how to secure my return lines going to the regulator

20140428_211550_zpsm7jklysk.jpg

20140428_211505_zpsizerramw.jpg

20140428_211515_zpsmego5ydn.jpg

Which brings me to my next questions. I haven't seen anyone hook the vacuum lines up before the turbo so I'm assuming it's ok to hook them directly to the intake manifold. I know on some cars the vacuum lines run the HVAC controls and I don't want to hit boost and have my vents do funny things lol. If I know where they were mounted on the supercharger I probably wouldn't be asking this question haha.

Second what is this? I'm assuming charcoal canister stuff, and it doesn't need to be hooked up.

20140428_211437_zpsmszd92mf.jpg

Also what is this relay / fuse box for? If it's for the stock I/C pump can I just unplug it?

20140428_211848_zpsalfcziby.jpg

And lastly are you guys doing anything about the fan wiring? Mine is really close to the turbo and I think it's going to melt.

20140414_231728_zpsjkzxklrx.jpg

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
My fan wiring is really close to my turbo as well but haven't had any issues with it, I recently got a turbo blanket too so that's always an option for you.

04yfzkid

Established Member
My fan wiring is really close to my turbo as well but haven't had any issues with it, I recently got a turbo blanket too so that's always an option for you.

I might get a turbo blanket actually. When I had the trubo rebuilt, we ceramic coated the center section and exhaust housing.

04yfzkid

Established Member
Appreciate all the help guys! Finally took it for a test drive today to get some gas. Idle is a little high. The base map was set in open loop so I emailed the tuner to see if he can fix it or if I need to adjust some stuff like the TPS. Overall I'm stoked on the turbo so far. It's way faster at 0psi than the whipple (apparently took 125hp to spin lol) and the BOV sounds cool. I have read that the tial should just unload the air but sounds similar to a ssq.

Anyways quick little vid and some pictures

[video=youtube_share;dLqpBnzo8JA]http://youtu.be/dLqpBnzo8JA[/video]

20140504_002137_zpszbzmt1xs.jpg

20140504_130835_zpsersjgpod.jpg

20140504_165753_zpstdwdzcpy.jpg

Need to tighten up my oil feed line. Have a 90 NPT to -4an that I'm scared to tighten because I have to make adjustments in 360 degrees. Not sure if an npt to -4an will fit with 90 on the feed line.

20140504_121157_zpshwbntewj.jpg

Also need to lower the front and get an alignment. Since the UPR k member, coil over kit, and MM CC plates, my camber, caster, toe, and steering wheel are off lol

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Glad you finished it up man!

Did you use teflon tape on your NPT fitting? If not, thats why its leaking!

04yfzkid

Established Member
Took the 90 off and put a ton of thread sealer on it! No more leaks there. Had a fuel rail plug leaking. Tried to take it out and stripped it unfortunately. Instead of buying the same replacement plugs I went and got some 1/8" brass plugs from home depot. Put a little extra thread sealer on and no leaks.

Still having an idle problem. Noticed there is a hole in the top in the intake manifold, put a long bolt in it. Also noticed my IAC was a little loose. Took it off, sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in it and a could drops of wd40 on the shaft. Put it back on, and neither of those helped. It's holding steady at 1500rpm even when I unplugged the IAC. Safe to say it took a shit? The tunner suggested a sticky IAC or vacuum leak. Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere on the intake and it didn't do anything with the idle.

Hopefully going to get it tuned on friday if all goes well!

04yfzkid

Established Member
Will let you guys know what it makes! Replaced the IAC and the idle is high. Decided to disconnect all vacuum lines and cap off all ports for a test and still no bueno. Plugged it all back in and went for a cruise to find a waste gate spring. Finding old tial 44mm springs was quite difficult. Had a buddy behind me said it smokes a little on decel after a quick pull (watching my AFR's like a hawk). Not sure if the rings are not seated 100% yet, the -4 feed is too much and I need to step to a -3, or it's just a normal mustang like my buddies 900whp 2v.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
How many inches of vacuum do you have at idle?

Don't go smaller than a -4 feed. What is your drain looking like? It should be at a slight angle down and then dump into your pan. You can take your cold side off to see if your turbo is leaking oil into that or take your downpipe off and look for oil there, too.

Are you venting your crank case to atmosphere (valve cover breathers) or is it somehow hooked to the intake?

04yfzkid

Established Member
How many inches of vacuum do you have at idle?

Don't go smaller than a -4 feed. What is your drain looking like? It should be at a slight angle down and then dump into your pan. You can take your cold side off to see if your turbo is leaking oil into that or take your downpipe off and look for oil there, too.

Are you venting your crank case to atmosphere (valve cover breathers) or is it somehow hooked to the intake?

18-19 inches of vacuum it's solid at one or the other. Didn't know it was measured in inches, learned something new today already lol.

That's just what percision said to do if it's pushing through the seals. Not going to make any major changes yet like the line. The drain line is -10 and comes straight down to an AN 90 into the pan. Don't think I can fit a 45 with out hitting the down pipe. I'll check all those when I get a chance. I have the filter off so I'll check inside the compressor housing.

Venting to the atmosphere. Come from each valve cover to a T then down to a drain house behind the heads. Want to mount my catch can but I have a moroso and it's huge!

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
The 90 might be a problem. Supposed to be not much more than 45* because 90* will hamper oil flow and cause it to push past the seals. If you want to run tight radius fittings you may need a scavenge pump.

Last edited:

04yfzkid

Established Member
Have had problem after problem on the dyno. We got some decent WOT tunning at about 600whp. It does nothing when the IAC is unplugged so I think it's safe to say it's still a vacuum leak. At first we were thinking intake boots after the maf, but then wouldn't it blow those off first.

Things to fix

1. PCV, it's too restrictive and smokes a ton with the janky set up I have connected. Thinking it causing the drain line to have too much pressure against it not allowing it to drain causing oil to be pushed through the seals of the turbo.

2. My boost reference port on the regulator needs gets kinked by the intake tube and doesn't allow it to up the fuel pressure. That causes it to lean out on the wideband. So I need to see if I can put a 90 on the vacuum line or I am going to need to move the regulator.

3. Get a better boot and clamp set up for the charge pipe to throttle body. The boot barely fits on there as it is. What did you guys use? I'm also thinking about putting a rod from the charge pipe to the intake manifold like some of the high HP supra guys do.

4. Fix the wiring on my eboost2 solenoid. It wasn't working so we had to temporarly use a manual boost controller.

5. Put the 45 degree back on my drain line.

6. Do a compression test to make sure the oil isn't getting by the rings but rather by the turbo.

A video of it blowing off the tube

[video=youtube_share;9lHEiUSVUXc]http://youtu.be/9lHEiUSVUXc[/video]

04yfzkid

Established Member
A video of it making about 600 on 15.X pounds of boost.

[video=youtube_share;GhoUrr_Y4iQ]http://youtu.be/GhoUrr_Y4iQ[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread