Going turbo, too many problems... need help

04yfzkid

Established Member
Literally every piece of this car I have touched since doing the turbo kit has had some problem to it. Figured I might as well make a thread now since more problems keep arising!

First: What I have a mach1 alternator and had no plug. I bought a new plug and pigtail from ford. Awesome, it came with three black wires :fm:. Now I'm not sure which wires goes to where on my cobra harness. I know the two outside pins need to connect to the stock cobra harness so which color wire does the driver side pin go to, and which wire does the passenger side pin go to?

Second: I have a mach1 intake. What do I do for map sensors and IAT 2? I tried emailing greg from RET but I know he is really busy and emails have been lost twice.

Third: For my eboost 2 is there any reason not to tap off the vacuum line going to the gauge cluster?

Thanks in advance,
-Mikey

MTBSully

Established Member
Try not to get frustrated. These cars didnt come with turbos from the factory so you are bound to run into a few hiccups along the way. Now, heres some advice:

1. Download and print out the hellion turbo kit instructions. Even if you don't have the hellion kit. That will tell you how to wire up the alternator among many other things needed for this swap.

2. If i remember correctly, two of the wires on the 03-04 harness aren't even used (from the factory). Again, reference the hellion diagram or research on here. It has been covered a few times.

3. IAT2 can be drilled and tapped into the upper intake plenum. Again, research on here and see where/how it has been done. Or check my turbo build thread, I know I have at least a few pictures of it in there.

4. I just T'd off a vacuum source to my AEM tru-boost. I have a functional stock boost gauge, prosport boost gauge, as well as my boost controller.

Hope this helps:beer:

04yfzkid

Established Member
Appreciate the help so far.

What car should I grab an iat2 sensor from? I don't have any at the moment because my map and iat2 were sent out with the whipple

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I do not see these as problems. These are normal things that come up when doing the conversion. Not really serious issues. Just need to do some more research....

You need to get the IAT2 off a 03-04 Cobra.

There are wiring diagrams floating around for the alternator just search. Like stated its in the Hellion manual.

Here are some pics on how to mount the IAT2

Intake2.JPG

Intake3.JPG

04yfzkid

Established Member
Here ya go. 2 sec google search "Hellion Alternator Wiring" First thing that showed up.

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/instructions/HPS-0304COBRA.pdf

Thank you. If I knew it was hellion wiring for the alternator I would have gladly google'd it. I have easily spent 2-3 hours a day on here and google trying to research stuff since december. When I say I have problems every piece I have picked up there has been something wrong with it.

For example, exhaust housing is a little rusty lets take it off. Won't come off so I dropped it off at the turbo shop. This is what I get a picture of that was inside.

IMG_0492_zpskwgpedkt.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsvg0u1ysp.jpg

Oh well it's rebuilt now.

20140128_152338_zpskx5dtvzv.jpg

It doesn't help that a family member was helping me with everything while I was deployed, took the car apart, misplaced a ton of shit and now doesn't help trying to get things together.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I ran in to a lot of issues too. It takes a lot of research. I had thought about saying screw it and just putting on a twin screw. Well worth the wait and pain.

04yfzkid

Established Member
I ran in to a lot of issues too. It takes a lot of research. I had thought about saying screw it and just putting on a twin screw. Well worth the wait and pain.

I've been real close a couple times actually, especially since I have several buddies selling whipple's / KBs.

FOr your IAT sensor, run a lightning sensor. Thats what i did. Just drill and tap one 3/8 thread hole and your set.

Does the lightning sensor plug into the cobra harness?

04yfzkid

Established Member
Decided to go with a cobra IAT2. After reading the hellion install looks like my hot side is very similar.

Running the feed line out of the oil filter housing. Not sure if it's too much of a generic question because I'm running a 78 mm but anyone know what size oil restrictor I need? I don't trust anything the previous guy did and don't want to take a chance lol

Putting in a k member today so hopefully I can start getting more things mocked up.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Decided to go with a cobra IAT2. After reading the hellion install looks like my hot side is very similar.

Running the feed line out of the oil filter housing. Not sure if it's too much of a generic question because I'm running a 78 mm but anyone know what size oil restrictor I need? I don't trust anything the previous guy did and don't want to take a chance lol

Putting in a k member today so hopefully I can start getting more things mocked up.

What kind of turbo? You're best bet it contacting the manufacturer and be sure to explain the high oil pressure we get on cold starts and WOT. My turbonetics doesnt require any restrictor.

04yfzkid

Established Member
What kind of turbo? You're best bet it contacting the manufacturer and be sure to explain the high oil pressure we get on cold starts and WOT. My turbonetics doesnt require any restrictor.

It's a Percision 78mm (unsure of model number at the moment). Thanks that's probably the easiest thing to do. Already have to call UPR to figure out what these random washers and spacers are for. Thankfully I had random ford bolts from tearing apart several rangers. The factory rack bolts were way too long.

itSSlow98

Established Member
It's a Percision 78mm (unsure of model number at the moment). Thanks that's probably the easiest thing to do. Already have to call UPR to figure out what these random washers and spacers are for. Thankfully I had random ford bolts from tearing apart several rangers. The factory rack bolts were way too long.

Yea you are going to need a restrictor with the precision I believe. Call them for sure though.

badblacklx

Established Member
Just curious guys but why not wire the iat1 in pre intercooler and then run the iat2 wired up with a slot style maf. That way in your logs you can figure intercooler efficiency going down the track.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
That crap they pulled out of the exhaust side of the turbo looks like the inside of the flex joint from the hot side pre turbo. You might want to take some stuff apart and see if this is where is came from and replace that section with a higher grade part. I wouldn't want to see more taking out your fresh turbo.

Last edited:

04yfzkid

Established Member
That crap they pulled out of the exhaust side of the turbo looks like the inside of the flex joint from the hot side pre turbo. You might want to take some stuff apart and see if this is where is came from and replace that section with a higher grade part. I wouldn't want to see more taking out your fresh turbo.

That's a great idea, thanks man. Good to check it out now before I drop it off at the exhaust shop. Every piece of this "custom" turbo kit has to be modified to fit my car. I think the guy that it came from had a track car and didn't car about cutting his car to make things fit.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Precision says not to install a restrictor on their turbos unless there is an extreme circumstance that exists. This was as of a few months ago when I had mine rebuilt after buying it from someone who did restrict it and fried the bearing and seals. (7675 CEA)

04yfzkid

Established Member
Precision says not to install a restrictor on their turbos unless there is an extreme circumstance that exists. This was as of a few months ago when I had mine rebuilt after buying it from someone who did restrict it and fried the bearing and seals. (7675 CEA)

Thanks I called them and at first they sternly said, "please do not run a restrictor". Once I told him about the high oil pressure on these motors he suggested a -4 line and if that doesn't work then -3 feed line.

Car is still at the exhaust shop and will be there for a long time. They were nice enough to set it off to the back and work on it when time is slow to keep the cost down for me.

04yfzkid

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread