Going from TR6 to TR7IX: Worth it?

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Main concern: Driveability

Wondering if stepping up to TR7IX's would be worth the money. Right now I have a stalling issue, sometimes choppy idle, and sometimes choppy cruising speed. I have the TR6's installed and only have about 2 or 3k on them. I had a set of TR7IX's but my tuner said not to put them in. He basically said he has seen dyno runs where the porcelain cracked or blew out of every plug.

Has anyone had experience with NGK TR7IX's cracking or basically destroying themselves inside the head?? I have heard many people say that idle GREATLY improves with the TR7IX's, just sucks that my tuner said to stay away. And at the time I trusted the tuner, Dan at Pro Dyno.

Avenger

Established Member
I've had both and can say that both are great plugs. The iridium smoothed my idle but I don't think changing from TR6 to TR7IX will solve your stalling issue.

Juruense

Banned
I would consider it once the copper plugs wore out how old are the TR6? I would not swap out perfectly good plugs. Your gap is too wide and you are getting spark blowout.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I have the TR6ix's and no problems with mine so far. 10K miles with the 2.76 upper.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Its probably the TR6's causing the idle problem while cruising. Is it in the lower rpm's? Thats where mine and alot of others on here did it. I noticed a difference when I switched. Alot smoother idle. I would switch them out if it was my car. And I have never heard a problem with people having them break. I like them cause they are one step colder and as much boost as you are running its piece of mind.

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
I would consider it once the copper plugs wore out how old are the TR6? I would not swap out perfectly good plugs. Your gap is too wide and you are getting spark blowout.

Spark blowout when the plugs are gapped at .032??? TR6's are about 4 months old.

Its probably the TR6's causing the idle problem while cruising. Is it in the lower rpm's? Thats where mine and alot of others on here did it. I noticed a difference when I switched. Alot smoother idle. I would switch them out if it was my car. And I have never heard a problem with people having them break. I like them cause they are one step colder and as much boost as you are running its piece of mind.

Thats what I thought reading lots of posts here. It's always in the low RPMS. WOT and high rpm's it isn't even a problem. Car runs great when you get into boost, but below that level sometimes it can run choppy. :shrug:

I am just getting frustrated on how the car runs now. Went to "one of the best" tuners in east..........twice.....over 300 miles both ways. So I have traveled 600 miles so far and my car still stalls out. I'm frustrated cause on one can seem to diagnose or fix the problem. :cuss:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone had experience with NGK TR7IX's cracking or basically destroying themselves inside the head??
Actually no I've never heard of a failure like that with an NGK iridium, I think your tuner was confusing them with the Densos. Many, many Terminator owners run NGK iridiums.

I would most definitely swap them and it DID solve my stalling issue but it's not guaranteed to work for you. There a lot of different factors that can contribute to the engine stalling.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
I would most definitely swap them and it DID solve my stalling issue but it's not guaranteed to work for you. There a lot of different factors that can contribute to the engine stalling.

You know, I havent really thought about it because my car didnt stall too often, but it hasnt stalled since I installed those plugs. About 2 years now.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
The TR7IX's offer greatly improved driveability over a copper plug, they are also colder, which is a good thing, detonation suppressent. They wick more heat out of the combustion chamber. They are not so cold that they will foul though.

I've ran them for the past 40k miles, with my upper/lower ported Eaton and they have been outstanding.

They've held up to several instances of severe (piston melting) detonation as well - where my Denso Iridiums did not. The porcelain on the NGK's is stronger than on the Denso's.

All copper plugs I've tried have given me relatively sluggish tip-in throttle response and bad driveability at slow speeds and part throttle (slight buck/miss).

Switching to the TR7IX (.035) was a night and day difference, the tip-in power/snap is substantially improved, the part throttle driveability is equally improved, it is a much smoother running car. Everyone seems stuck on the TR6, and I can't figure out why, other than it's cheap.

My car is a daily driver with 96k miles on it, and it is not babied, I wanted a plug that offered better detonation resistance and superior driveability, the TR7IX was the answer!

1Quick4.6

Established Member
With 2-3k miles on them its time to put some new ones in. these cars when running more than stock boost love to have new plugs often to stay at there peak performance. Its good practice to change them at every oil change (2k-3k mi)there only anan extra $15 (TR6s)gap between .030-.035 depending on how much boost

Jroc

Established Member
LOL. You have the exact same problem as me. My car still stalls sometimes and I use Pro-Dyno with TR6 plugs.

You are right Pro-Dyno doesn't recommend anything but TR6's, but I'm think of switching to a different plug. I would like to use a good Autolite plug as Ford owns Autolite, and thats what the dealerships recommend using in Ford products.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
There is absolutely no good reason not to use TR7IX's - if the shop says it's because the porcelain breaks, then they need to understand that it isn't the plug that is faulty, it's the tune. I had the moly knocked off of my rings as a result of detonation but my TR7IX's remained intact. It takes a hell of a lot of abuse/detonation to break them.

Iridium is superior to copper, the spark is more intense which makes them more resistant to spark blowout, allowing you to run a slightly wider gap than with copper. There is a reason they are more expensive, they are a better plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread