Girodisc Rotors installed - Brembo replacements through AED

twistedneck

Established Member
Got a very good deal from AED on the Brembo brake replacement rotors, pads, 2 bottles of Motul 600, and titanium shims.

I also picked up the Vorshlag backing plates. It was a tough call between those and the Blowfish - honestly i like both designs but i decided to go with Vorshlag because they cut out and modify the original Ford parts, and it has a little tab that keeps heat off of the tie rod end.

Everything fit perfectly and went together easy. During break in now and the drivers side is squeaking a bit, i think that will go away over time though - i hope! pads are Raybestos ST31's (also known as Girodisc SS pads). they are sreet and limited track day - a step up from normal pads they handle 800F - but nothing like a race pad that is designed for 1150-1350F.

A lot of people swap pads at the track, and i was told by Girodisc that the titanium shims will only help if you are using a race pad - they reduce heat transfer help stop the fluid from boiling. with the ST31 pads this is not an issue.

have not installed the 3" silicone ducts yet, that looks like a pain in the ass - pull the bumper to trim off the fog light mounts, cut a piece out of the plastic wheel well on the drivers side, and reloate the horn.. passenger side the issue is moving the washer fluid reservoir over.

i highly recommend this setup, it bites hard and stops much smoother from highway speeds than my factory 1pcs Brembo's.

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Fronts are 5bs lighter each if I remember correctly, rears 4lbs each.

I had the magic pads on my GT and they were dead quiet and very low dust yet still noticeably better than factory.

twistedneck

Established Member
I love these brakes and they stop hard now that they are broken in... problem is w those pads my left wheel squeaks like a banshee at low stopping efforts.. I recommend anyone buying these get the Girodisc magic pads - not the SS pads. Just swap to a real race pad at the track. with our brembo's they are quick change pads - tap out two pins and slide the pads out, push the pistons back, slide in the new pads, tap the pins back in with your drift punch and its done.

the other thing that might be making it squeak / squeal is the plates on the back of each pad. I kept the ford pad backing plates - I thought those were anti noise plates.. I did not add any new lube to it, and there was some dirt build up that I mostly wiped off.. could that be causing the noise?

no pulsation, jutter, pulling to one side, fade, etc.. performance is top notch.

D2M

Established Member
Yes, for about 1 lap then the pedal turns to mush without ducting.. Actual stopping performance is unaffected much, just pedal feel.. I also run Raybestos pads at the track, they are the $#!+, I use ST43 with plain centric rotors $70 each.. They last super long time too.

Why do we need a backing plate at all. Why not just take it off. Wouldn't that promote airflow?

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
oh those are nice!.............but ouch!!!

http://www.girodisc.com/view_cart.asp

Yep, that's why I was curious what AED was charging. It's hard to beat the Centric premium's for just a good, basic, cheap track rotor. But they sure are purdy.

Twisted, regarding the brake cooling kit I wouldn't follow Fords instructions exactly on the install. You don't need to shim the washer fluid bottle out as it will just fit with a little finagling. You also don't need to flip the horn over as they suggest. Remove the horn, cut the tab off of its mount (or just bend it back), and bolted the horn back into the hole where its tab went originally (about 3/4 to and inch above the original mount point). You may need to trim a little plastic, including one of the tabs inside the lower air dam panel. But it's really very minor trimming. By far the biggest pain is actually getting the hose onto the new brake backing plate. It's actually too small IMO and you either need to slot the backing plate where the hose attaches or the hose itself. Just zip tie the hose to the anti sway bar so it doesn't rub. I have 10" rims up front and it still clears.

twistedneck

Established Member
Yep, that's why I was curious what AED was charging. It's hard to beat the Centric premium's for just a good, basic, cheap track rotor. But they sure are purdy.

Twisted, regarding the brake cooling kit I wouldn't follow Fords instructions exactly on the install. You don't need to shim the washer fluid bottle out as it will just fit with a little finagling. You also don't need to flip the horn over as they suggest. Remove the horn, cut the tab off of its mount (or just bend it back), and bolted the horn back into the hole where its tab went originally (about 3/4 to and inch above the original mount point). You may need to trim a little plastic, including one of the tabs inside the lower air dam panel. But it's really very minor trimming. By far the biggest pain is actually getting the hose onto the new brake backing plate. It's actually too small IMO and you either need to slot the backing plate where the hose attaches or the hose itself. Just zip tie the hose to the anti sway bar so it doesn't rub. I have 10" rims up front and it still clears.

Thanks for that great info.. i'm going to try and get that done over the 4th of July weekend. the horn did seem like the ugly part but now i'm not quite as worried. I noticed the world challenge mustangs had 4" hose on some of the cars, some still had 3" but I thik they also had custom larger inlets. also, some had two 3" hoses in front, one from the front grill and another one feeding from the top of the fender someplace. the back brakes had nothing, no hoses at all.

FYI - the brake noise with these ST31 street track pads is almost gone now that the pad has coated the rotor. all it took was the proper beading in process - i.e. I had to make about 6 stops from 120+MPH to 10mph at the end of the 1/4 mile :)

you could see the pad material depositing on the rotor. what also seemed to help was a rainy day rusted the rotors a little and that rusty coating helped quiet the noise too.

the slotted rotors have a very very slight vibration between 30-40mph on hard stops, that's about it - they work very well now.

worth the $? yes, for sure. The Ford SVT guys noticed it right away and were quick to tell me that OEM's will have two piece soon enough on certain fast mustangs.

twistedneck

Established Member
I tried these rotors for the first time on track last month and all I can say is WOW!

Nice yellow Mustang
. Looks very fast obviously corners flat.

Are you running a dedicated track pad like D2M? He ia running the st43 and that is a track day only pad.

Also, share your brake setup if you can...

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried these rotors for the first time on track last month and all I can say is WOW!

Darren, last time I saw your car you were already running some fancy drilled & slotted two piece setup up front:) What difference did you notice with these rotors?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice yellow Mustang
. Looks very fast obviously corners flat.

Are you running a dedicated track pad like D2M? He ia running the st43 and that is a track day only pad.

Also, share your brake setup if you can...

I'm pretty sure he's running a dedicated track car at this point:D

Users who are viewing this thread