GEN 2 TVS build (Wicked46)

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Recently, I parted ways with my GEN 1 TVS with an Accufab TB and elbow and my JLT “high boost” intake. It proved to be a great blower and my best pass with it was a 9.29 letting out shortly after the 1/8 mile. I had plans to completely change the set-up in the car but I ended up going with a GEN 2 TVS with GT500 TB/Elbow, VMP3500 slot meter and a JLT RAI.

The GEN 2 TVS has some great new features. For guys needing to keep an EGR on the car, there’s now a provision on the back to retain the stock EGR vale. It wasn’t needed on my car so I left it off. Also, the GT500 elbow allows you to mount the IAC in the stock location, rather than on the side like the previous version. In addition to other enhancements, there is now an “S” hook that mounts between the intercooler and base of the blower (pic will be added shortly). This allows the bypass actuator to bleed off through the intercooler which helps with cooling.

In the middle of my swap, my cell phone broke so I wasn’t able to take as many pictures as I would’ve liked but here are some shots from the past weekend.

Here is a picture of the old set-up. The blower looks identical except i'm no longer sucking through a coffee straw with my little Accufab :)
old_zpsx0tawuet.jpg

New GEN 2 and GT500 TB:
IMG_9095_zpschnze0sa.jpg

IMG_9091_zps6rxvahjt.jpg

IMG_9093_zps50gfywpx.jpg

HUGE Thanks to Ron Longo for giving me this coolant crossover tube with a welded 1/2" bung for the head cooling mod. No more spliced upper radiator hose.
IMG_9092_zpsq1mcpjl9.jpg

IMG_9099_zpsxpiimzuv.jpg

EGR provision / block off plate:
IMG_9094_zpsffjyfi16.jpg

New VMP MAF and JLT
IMG_9096_zpskajwpflm.jpg

IMG_9100_zps2r7q0o4d.jpg

IMG_9101_zps8bckhqjv.jpg

Just a little extra HP :) :)
IMG_9097_zps5abnyuyv.jpg

More pictures to come later :)

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice job john. The Gen2 for cobra was designed to streamline some things and incorporate things we've learned over the past 4 years.

The GT500 elbow now has the IAC built in, just like stock, and the TB uses a gasket for easy serviceability.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Very nice Jon! :)

Why did you go with a RAI setup over a CAI or HB CAI JLT?

Tim - Long time no chat... I just wanted to try something different. It also makes it easier to change out nitrous jets. Down the road, I might make a 5'' Ram Air style intake to match the opening of the GT500 TB.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Tim - Long time no chat... I just wanted to try something different. It also makes it easier to change out nitrous jets. Down the road, I might make a 5'' Ram Air style intake to match the opening of the GT500 TB.

No question the RAI makes it easy to change plugs and jets :beer: .... Good luck :)

cj428mach

Established Member
Can I ask why you went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 since there isn't any major performance differences. I wonder if going from a 2.3 whipple to a tvs is worth it let alone a gen 1 tvs to gen 2 tvs.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks good, I actually prefer the iac valve on the side of the plenum for a cleaner look though.

03Steve

Established Member
Looking good John.

One of the things I would like to try on the TVS is a 5" inlet. We found up here on Cliff's car that the angle of the throttle body on the TVS inlet, in comparison to the angle of a Crusher inlet, faces a little bit more towards the passenger strut tower. If we can build a wedge to put between the inlet and throttle body, it will face the throttle body more towards the blower snout, and make more room for a larger inlet similar to those found on the big Whipples. I can't help but wonder if those spinning the 2.3L aggressively are seeing a couple of inches of vacuum or better at the intake tube. We are also considering the idea of running without an intake tube and MAF at all, speed density on an EECV.

Good luck with your build, hope to see you guys at the race track sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Can I ask why you went from Gen 1 to Gen 2 since there isn't any major performance differences. I wonder if going from a 2.3 whipple to a tvs is worth it let alone a gen 1 tvs to gen 2 tvs.

Because he wanted to cool like me!!

Looking good John.

One of the things I would like to try on the TVS is a 5" inlet. We found up here on Cliff's car that the angle of the throttle body on the TVS inlet, in comparison to the angle of a Crusher inlet, faces a little bit more towards the passenger strut tower. If we can build a wedge to put between the inlet and throttle body, it will face the throttle body more towards the blower snout, and make more room for a larger inlet similar to those found on the big Whipples. I can't help but wonder if those spinning the 2.3L aggressively are seeing a couple of inches of vacuum or better at the inlet. We are also considering the idea of running without an inlet and MAF at all, speed density on an EECV.

Justin and I tested a 5" inlet a while back on the dyno. We didn't gain any thing.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Looking good John.

One of the things I would like to try on the TVS is a 5" inlet. We found up here on Cliff's car that the angle of the throttle body on the TVS inlet, in comparison to the angle of a Crusher inlet, faces a little bit more towards the passenger strut tower. If we can build a wedge to put between the inlet and throttle body, it will face the throttle body more towards the blower snout, and make more room for a larger inlet similar to those found on the big Whipples. I can't help but wonder if those spinning the 2.3L aggressively are seeing a couple of inches of vacuum or better at the intake tube. We are also considering the idea of running without an intake tube and MAF at all, speed density on an EECV.

Thanks Steve! Interesting observation on the inlet position. I think the goal with the TVS (all TB versions) was to keep the stock geometry to allow all types of intakes to bolt right up. Let us know results with Cliff's car and hope to see you guys soon.

Because he wanted to cool like me!!

Justin and I tested a 5" inlet a while back on the dyno. We didn't gain any thing.

Really? I guess that extra half inch doesn't matter ;) :p

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
So that forces the air through the intercooler where before it could circulate before it? Be interesting how this effects ait 2's.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So that forces the air through the intercooler where before it could circulate before it? Be interesting how this effects ait 2's.

+1. But I bet it won't make much of a difference. And I hope it doesn't because then I'll want the gen 2, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread