Votes: 217 27.2%
  • other - please list

Votes: 31 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmax

Established Member
Things have changed to a 4;10 in a live axle 8.8" saving 100 lbs. of weight with a 4500 stall.This will allow the NOS to be optional but a 75 HP shot will still be availaable at 4500 rpm.
So we shall see if the NOS is needed on the Centrifical Prochrger with the hi-Stall convertor,maybe a smaller 35 or, no shot at all,Dave Smilovic

Cobra835

Established Member
I am considering a gear change as well, and I am thinking about the 3.90 or 4.10s. My intention is to keep the rest of the car stock to avoid warranty issues. This may sound crazy, but if I were to have FRPP 4.10s installed by the dealer, would this keep my warranty in tact? Would the dealer even do such an install? Quarter-mile use is not my concern, as my car is driven on the street only and I just want a bit more acceleration off the line. Thanks for your input.

BAD03SVT

Established Member
i have driven an 03 with 4.10s and 3.73s just too much shifting with the 4.10s and not all i wanted with 3.73s so with the live axle i put in 3.90s. and no noise or vibration. that is all in the set up

maoun

Established Member
hwystr, from a physical engineering standpoint, the integer of the ratio can make no difference, sorry!

stang99

4.10's make a nice punchy 6th gear at freeway speeds. I may be actually shifting less with 4.10's than I did with the 3.55's. On the street they are fun. I haven't tried the track yet but I expect even worse traction problems than with the 3.55's.

Young_Stallion

SNSTRSNK
Established Member
I have been thinking about gears as well.....but I plan on 470-500RWHP and think 4.10's are just going to make the launch with DR's garbage....from a roll it will be nice and it is mainly a street vehicle but I need to be able to show my stuff from a dig at some time.

Any info on going 4.10;s if I will have 470-500RWHP?

davidmax

Established Member
327 gears willbe a nice project,dont forget it will be very anemic down low,I would consider leaving the stock gears in.The car was designed for them and I would like to think they know.....
I run 4:10'S and even with the car bone stock and a shifter and 4:10's it made a world of a differance.
I let Ford do it and they POOChED on my FREE spedo Calibration
But they did a hellified job on the 4:10 swap,Dave Smilovic
PS: on my twin turbo Z06 the ultimate Vette,well over 100 k but after we modded it all put a boost controller in and I run the street an shes capable at8.5:1 CR and anywhere from3 lbs. to 21 no one has come close in street competition I usually walk turbo Vipers allso with 1000 ponnies/I'm only anxious to race the same people in a few weeks in the beast.
The Chev not a drag car even though with 345/30/18 on the rear
BFG KD's for daily driving and 10.5" sliccks ran on once,
I wish Chad had time to switch out to my slicks that video would have been 1/2 second faster.
That video wa3/8's of a mile ,review it and do the math,she would have gone if the theory holds true,its a very low 9 second and I'm praying for hi 8's I would be ecstatic,David Smilovic

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
im planning on 3.90s in my solid next month. i did a lot of research involving rpms and speed. with the 3.90s u can trap up to 120mph or so with 26" tires (stock) i dont thiink ill see that till next year. 3.73s was about 126. i figure after i trap 120 i can either go to 3.73s or to a 28" slick. a gear swap is cheap money...plus the 3.90s will be fuuuuuuuuun:rockon:

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
screw all that. stock 3.55's are stayin in mine. i have enough traction problems as it is. if i has a procharged car it would be different. but my heaton makes pleanty of tq down low.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ditto..... I think in an IRS car, multiplying the torque, plus increasing flywheel torque,............. is asking a lot of the spline strength in the axles, plus the cover is a tad weak....

In a Live axle car ........ go nuts! .......Just dial it in to your tire diameter....

I don't think I would want more than 3.73s in an IRS car.... even with better axles.

Jimmy:thumbsup:

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Have any of you who have dissed 4.10's...ACTUALLY...spent any time in a 4.10 equipped car...or better yet.... had them in your own '03-04 Cobra?

Why is this topic so hotly debated by people who have little or no experience with them? Common sense/intuition/experience does have limits.

Yes..I do have 4.10 gears in my car.

Traction...NOT an issue w/drag radials...stock tires sucked when the car came out of the showroom...got worse when you modified the car...so of course, they got even worse w/4.10's...but you should have changed tires to begin with....

The only ..POTENTIAL..issue is 4th gear trap speed. But..since 4.10 equipped cars have run low 11's I don't see the problem..

They ARE an improvement..PERIOD

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
I used to have FRPP 4.10's in my '03 GT, and that was a daily driver. It's definitely fun on city streets. You will be shifting gears a lot more though.

I don't plan on changing gears in my cobra...I think the 3.55's are adequate.

03DSG

Does freeway acceleration get worse in the 03-04 cobras with a gear swap to 3.90's or 4.10's. I had a 4.10 gear swap in my bullitt and a 4.30 gear swap in my mach 1 and both got better on lower mph roll on acceleration runs but on the freeway I thought the roll on acceleration was better with the stock gears. Is this the situation with a supercharged cobra?

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Originally posted by jtack
Does freeway acceleration get worse in the 03-04 cobras with a gear swap to 3.90's or 4.10's. I had a 4.10 gear swap in my bullitt and a 4.30 gear swap in my mach 1 and both got better on lower mph roll on acceleration runs but on the freeway I thought the roll on acceleration was better with the stock gears. Is this the situation with a supercharged cobra?

75MPH..5th gear 3.55/2800 4.10/3200

What do you think...bog or JUMP!!!

Torque peak on 03/04 is 3400..what will get you to it faster?..its obvious

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I had 4.10's in my GT and it made the car an animal.... But I mean i have traction problems now with the 3.55's I couldnt imagine a gear that would make the tires spin even faster... 3.55 seems to be the all around perfect gear for the car... Although I would take a solid rear with 3.90's any day of the week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread