• other - please list

Votes: 31 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Which gears do you think would benefit the Cobra the most that will see very light track duty and will be more of street brawler? ;-)

Last edited:

hwystr

Established Member
I've seen a few studies on this, that recommend staying away from integer ratios, 4.10 and 3.90 are close to 4.0, and in some cases you will get excessive driveline vibration/sound as the 4th order tire vibration will be additive to 1st order driveshaft vibrations. Similar for 3.08's. If you do a search, you'll see alot of 4.10 and 3.08 axle noise complaints. 3.73's and 4.30's have better integer separation. But I doubt 3.73's will be much different than 3.55's - that's only ~5% change - not worth $.

:read:

Rwick7

Established Member
Hwystr - that is the craziest thing I've ever heard...where is more info on this...it makes no sense to me at all. I would say 4.10's would be the best street/track gear for these cars.

hwystr

Established Member
Crazy - No. A pain to deal with - yes.

Go to stangnet and search the product revies for axle ratio comments. You'll see the 3.08 and 4.10's tend to have "driveline" droans/periods that are magically fixed when they go to 3.73's. Won't happen in every car to the same degree, but you take your chances. Put on some 4.10's, dump the axle damper, great for performance, but not for driveline droan/periods.

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Gears are not supposed to moan/whine at all. If they do, then they have been improperly set up. The driveline vibe is usually due to driveshaft indexing problems. You can either have it indexed or just get a carbon fiber driveshaft and not worry about anything.

Sailing2Smth

Smooth Ass Sailor
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTVenom
Gears are not supposed to moan/whine at all. If they do, then they have been improperly set up. The driveline vibe is usually due to driveshaft indexing problems. You can either have it indexed or just get a carbon fiber driveshaft and not worry about anything.

agreed

matstang03

Established Member
I have 4.10 gears in my 03. I have no noise at all. I love what they didfor my car. So far that is prob the best thing i could have done for my car. It is amazing the difference 4.10 makes in ths car. For the street these gears are awesome. i were to line up w/ an 03 that has the same mods as me, on stock gears, and we were going from a roll, i would instantly pull at least 2 cars on him. i am so happy w/ these 4.10's. If you are going to do a gear swap, 4.10 is the way to go
Matt

david smilovic

Established Member
I installed 4:10's no complaints here.It may not be the best car for a 8+ hour trip but it smokes out of the hole with zero boost.
Cant wait till late Nov. early Dec,then Sean (SHM) and I will do all the final grunt stuff to get ready for an experimetal ATI good for 30 lbs. boost and maybe some giggle juice at 2600-4200 rpm then that big boy kicks in and it will be SWEET!! Dave S.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
On my turbo car, I have 3.55's, and on the street any gear below third is useless. As soon as I get around to it I am going to swap in some 3.27's or something. I have such a broad torque curve it pays to not take the time to shift and ride it out longer in first and second (which I would spin through anyway). I imagine the cobras are the same after you add some more torque.

Hammer

Established Member
Like Matt said, 4.10's are AWESOME on the street. From a roll, your car will pull with sheer neck-snapping acceleration.

But at the track, they will only be effective with tires - tires that are taller than stock. There is NO WAY to keep the stock tires glued with 4.10's.

And only gears that are improperly installed make noise. It's a common thing because proper installation of ring and pinion requires lots of expensive specialty tools and lots of experience with gear swaps.

For the NJ/PA boys, I recommend Crazy Horse Racing for the task. Their gear installs are second to none and Matt can attest to that.

:beer:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Originally posted by hwystr
I've seen a few studies on this, that recommend staying away from integer ratios, 4.10 and 3.90 are close to 4.0, and in some cases you will get excessive driveline vibration/sound as the 4th order tire vibration will be additive to 1st order driveshaft vibrations. Similar for 3.08's. If you do a search, you'll see alot of 4.10 and 3.08 axle noise complaints. 3.73's and 4.30's have better integer separation. But I doubt 3.73's will be much different than 3.55's - that's only ~5% change - not worth $.

:read:

No offense intended, but I think you're high. The gear ratio is the difference between the pinion head and the ring gear. Tire diameter can vary quite a bit depending on tire size, aspect ratio, rim size, etc.. AND the gear, pinion, differential, half shafts, drive shaft and rim all have different harmonics, not to mention that the rim is circled by a giant donut of RUBBER.

Peter

Established Member
4.10's

96 Cobra
Vortech S-trim(10 lbs)
Andersen power pipe
BBK long tubes
Pro-m 80
MSD-4 ignition
Aluminum driveshaft
42lb injectors
= 473 rwhp

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
As an aside to this, which brand of gears is everyone using? I have read here and other places that FRP gears are the only way to go. I really don't have any experience with all the brands out there. I know that there are many brands available, but I only want to do this mod once.
I initially wanted to go with 4.10's but if FRP starts making 3.90's, I'll probably go with that, but that is way down the list of future mods.
I also remember reading a post where someone was kind enough to list the top speeds with various gears, but I can't seem to find it. This would be useful for setting the gearing for the 1/4 mile. Anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks,
Dana

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by matstang03
I have 4.10 gears in my 03. I have no noise at all. I love what they didfor my car. So far that is prob the best thing i could have done for my car. It is amazing the difference 4.10 makes in ths car. For the street these gears are awesome. i were to line up w/ an 03 that has the same mods as me, on stock gears, and we were going from a roll, i would instantly pull at least 2 cars on him. i am so happy w/ these 4.10's. If you are going to do a gear swap, 4.10 is the way to go
Matt

I am considering this mod. What compensator do you have for the speedometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread