Votes: 31 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer
Like Matt said, 4.10's are AWESOME on the street. From a roll, your car will pull with sheer neck-snapping acceleration.

But at the track, they will only be effective with tires - tires that are taller than stock. There is NO WAY to keep the stock tires glued with 4.10's.

And only gears that are improperly installed make noise. It's a common thing because proper installation of ring and pinion requires lots of expensive specialty tools and lots of experience with gear swaps.

For the NJ/PA boys, I recommend Crazy Horse Racing for the task. Their gear installs are second to none and Matt can attest to that.

:beer:

Crazy Horse Racing just installed my 4.10's yesterday. a little pricy but a job well done. they do all of my installs. very happy with outcome of the 4.10's.

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
i just switched from the IRS to a solid axle with 4.10s, and i love em. you dont have to worry about topping out 4th gear in the quarter unless you trap about 125, and even then you can just go to a 28" tall slick if need be.

4.10s are so much easier to drive with on the street and my gas mileage has actually gone up. those gears only raised the 70 mph cruising RPM by about 300-400 rpms

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by hwystr
I've seen a few studies on this, that recommend staying away from integer ratios, 4.10 and 3.90 are close to 4.0, and in some cases you will get excessive driveline vibration/sound as the 4th order tire vibration will be additive to 1st order driveshaft vibrations. Similar for 3.08's. If you do a search, you'll see alot of 4.10 and 3.08 axle noise complaints. 3.73's and 4.30's have better integer separation. But I doubt 3.73's will be much different than 3.55's - that's only ~5% change - not worth $.

:read:

:shrug:

Gen 1 Lightnings are factory equipped with 4.10 gears. NONE of them have vibrations.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
3.73's....you'll get a little more pep without going to overboard on these things. I bet street traction sucks with anything steeper than a 3.73 in these things. :nonono:

primo

Established Member
I hate how I just get into 4th gear at the track to pass the traps. I think 3.90's will give me just enough RPM to pass the traps at 6300 RPM in 4th

ModMike1572

Established Member
Ya, i think 3.90's are the way to go. Next on my mod list is a solid axle followed by 3.90's.... that'll make a nice street/track car i think!

red03dave

Established Member
My car dynos 438 RWHP and I am going thru the traps at 63-6400RPM in fourth w/ 4.10's on Nitto 315 DR's. If your car is mostly stock or not pullied then the 4.10's would offer more performance per dollar than anything else but with some mods namely pulley and chip.... no. I know my car would be faster w/ the 3.55's cause we all know with a stock eaton & pulley, we are not making power past 6k RPM. Just my .02. and YES I do realize that I could fix this w/ taller or stickier tires but I figured I would post for those like me who like to run at the track with the same tires they drive everyday. If you've got decent HP stick with the 3.55's maybe even 3.27's if you've got tons of power or +600rwhp? Who knows...

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I have 4.10s and I love em, 80mph Im only around 2500-2600rpms so gas mileage is not bad at all, plus the car is explosive off the line.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
red03dave said:
My car dynos 438 RWHP and I am going thru the traps at 63-6400RPM in fourth w/ 4.10's on Nitto 315 DR's. If your car is mostly stock or not pullied then the 4.10's would offer more performance per dollar than anything else but with some mods namely pulley and chip.... no. I know my car would be faster w/ the 3.55's cause we all know with a stock eaton & pulley, we are not making power past 6k RPM. Just my .02. and YES I do realize that I could fix this w/ taller or stickier tires but I figured I would post for those like me who like to run at the track with the same tires they drive everyday. If you've got decent HP stick with the 3.55's maybe even 3.27's if you've got tons of power or +600rwhp? Who knows...

no power past 6k? my car peak hp was at 6400...weird.

3.90s here!!!!

red03dave

Established Member
It still feels great up to 63ish but if you have "graph" past 6k then I envy you.... I've never seen an 03 with an untouched Eaton pull or make more power/torque past 6k.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
red03dave said:
It still feels great up to 63ish but if you have "graph" past 6k then I envy you.... I've never seen an 03 with an untouched Eaton pull or make more power/torque past 6k.

hmm..ill post my sheet if ya want...we pulled the car up to 6600-6700 and it drops off at 6500-6600

Jpjr

Established Member
ya know its funny.. all the guys who have not tried 4.10's are saying that you would get no traction on the street.... and all the guys with 4.10's say they have turned thier cars into street animals.. lol

i think if i were going to change it would be 4.10's.. it's one of those things where if your going to bother at all you might as well go all the way. all i have heard is 4.10 guys loving thier cars on the street which is really encouraging.

in my opinion, if want to know why the stock gearing is set at a low ratio its so that the car can run with the vette's on the top end. for those of us who don't drive the car past 120, but like to get there as fast as we can.. 4.10's are probably not a bad idea. just beef up the tranny and rear and you would be fine IMO.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
These things would be an animal with 4.10's if you could hook it. But if you're modded with hp levels well over 400, I can't imagine it being useful on the street. Just instant smoke any time you stick your foot in it. Maybe 4.10's for stock Cobras and 3.73's for modded ones?? For street use of course. On the track...I'll bet a modded car with 4.10's and slicks would dangle the baloneys for a long ways....

Bob Cosby

Established Member
On the "doesn't pull past xxxx rpm" thing. Whatever that rpm is, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't gear the car to go through the traps above that point. Quite the contrary; serious racers will tell you that you should go through the traps 600-800 rpm above peak HP. The idea is to accelerate as fast as you can in the part of the track that you spend the most time - the first half. The last couple hundred feet make very, very little difference in ET.

Also, there is no "best gear". Gear selection is dependent upon many, many things, including power curve, peak HP, vehicle weight, tranny gearing, type of tranny (M or A), converter (if so equipped), intended uses, and so on.

Personally, I'm likely going with 4.10s when I step up to a live axle (and I'll have the KB, planning to make in excess of 550 RWHP), though I'm still debating between them and 3.90s.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
On the "doesn't pull past xxxx rpm" thing. Whatever that rpm is, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't gear the car to go through the traps above that point. Quite the contrary; serious racers will tell you that you should go through the traps 600-800 rpm above peak HP. The idea is to accelerate as fast as you can in the part of the track that you spend the most time - the first half. The last couple hundred feet make very, very little difference in ET.

Also, there is no "best gear". Gear selection is dependent upon many, many things, including power curve, peak HP, vehicle weight, tranny gearing, type of tranny (M or A), converter (if so equipped), intended uses, and so on.

Personally, I'm likely going with 4.10s when I step up to a live axle (and I'll have the KB, planning to make in excess of 550 RWHP), though I'm still debating between them and 3.90s.

Why the 3.90's or 4.10's Bob..i am asking because you are more knowledgeable than most on the subject of weight to gear ratio choice.Please educate me a little..i have 3:73's waiting to get setup in my solid.

Jay

Bob Cosby

Established Member
For my plans, 4.10s are going to be a better drag race gear, as they will provide more torque multiplication, and put me above peak rpm going through the traps. However, because this car isn't going to be as hardcore as my 99, I haven't decided if I want to go that many highway rpm. It's not a big difference, but every little bit counts.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
For my plans, 4.10s are going to be a better drag race gear, as they will provide more torque multiplication, and put me above peak rpm going through the traps. However, because this car isn't going to be as hardcore as my 99, I haven't decided if I want to go that many highway rpm. It's not a big difference, but every little bit counts.

with 550rwhp bob, wont u be trapping near 130mph? thats about 7000rpm...maybe ur gonna run 28's? i know i have till about 125mph untill i need either tires or gear cuz ill be up over 6500

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Yes and no. I do plan to be near 130 mph, but 7000 rpm w/25.8" tire is 131 mph, and I'll have the rev limiter set near that, so I don't forsee any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread