Gas Tank Cover?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
WE NEED MORE POEPLE TO SIGN ON! THE MORE WE GET PRODUCED THE CHEAPER PER PIECE IT WILL BE FOR ALL OF US! THOSE THAT ROAM IN OTHER FORUMS SPREAD THE WORD AND HAVE THEM SIGN ON!​

-CDC AEROSHIELD-
(Gas Tank Cover)

Please No Flakes. Once you are in it, you are in it to win it! :thumbsup:

On the List:
1. 32V FICobra :rockon:
2. 96 chris :rockon:
3. TripleBlack :rockon:
4. Blown_By_You :rockon:
5. fire :rockon:
6. blackcobrapilot :rockon:
7. Chuckieduck :rockon:
8. paintballpyro1 :rockon:
9. 97 cobra :rockon:

Dropped off:
351inside - Funds Needed Elsewhere
ryanr24 - Interested in the Diffuser V2
paintballpyro1 - Funds Needed Elsewhere
SpittingCobra - Interested in the Diffuser V2
Erick - Interested in the V3 Rear Exit Cover

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is what your rear end could look like!

1eb8_12.gif

1fd0_12.gif

Update:
-Recent events-

Ok guys. Got contact from Colby Hubbard @ CDC and it's not good. :xpl:

"Robert,

Sadly, I have some bad news. We thought the tool was operational but it appears its not. It has a small stress crack that makes it unuseable. When we were cleaning it up we noticed it. Its been awhile since its been in production and the guy that manages the tools wasnt here when we took it out of production and didnt know it was because it was unuseable. I feel really bad about it but we're not going to be able to produce the piece..............

Colby Hubbard
Classic Design Concepts"

Colby gave me exclusive rights to have the cover reproduced by anyone as long as it is not for retail use/sale/profit.

Now with that permission.............:banana:

Last week I contacted a SoCalCarbon & these are the routes we can take to get this done.

"Robert,

I will quote you some prices & different material so that you can get an idea on how much it'll be.

1) Repair part & make mold: If you do plan on making several peices of this then I would recomend making the Master Mold out of Epoxy, do to the fact that it will keep it's shape for an extremely long time w/o getting deformed. You can go a cheeper rout & do it out of polyester, but not recomended. I use aircraft grade epoxy on most molds that are in larger sizes & require multiple peices made.

Repair & Master Mold:
--price for repair & make a master mold out of Epoxy: $1,200.00
--for a polyester mold: $850.00

Parts made out of mold;
--Vacuum bagged exposed Carbon fiber with Core structure,epoxy (extremly strong part) ..$725.00

--Vacuum bagged fiberglass with Core structure, epoxy (Strong) ..$600.00

--Regular polyester wet lay up fiberglass part (least expensive; not as strong) ..$475.00

All parts will be in finished condition, ready to paint. S&H is not included.

Hope this helps you out,

Kind regards,
Albert S."

We need to GET at least 12-15 firm members to sign up and take deposits to cover the price of the mold. Now the parts to be produced will depend on how strong of a part & on how much everyone would like to spend. Also, the cost of the mold would have to be spread even between all the buyers. Before any money is exchanged I will be visiting this shop and take pictures of the quality and samples of the 3 options we have.

Last edited:

97 cobra

Established Member
So for the medium strength mold it will be 600 plus if we have 12 people interested it will be an extra 100 for the mold?

That's 700 bones then we have to pay for shipping....is this correct or am i wrong?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
So for the medium strength mold it will be 600 plus if we have 12 people interested it will be an extra 100 for the mold?

That's 700 bones then we have to pay for shipping....is this correct or am i wrong?

That is correct. So far this is the cheapest way to go but still get a good quality part. The more members we get the cheaper the spread for the mold amongst all buying members.

Once I meet with Albert in person I will try to wiggle the price down if we get more members to sign up.

Last edited:

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
The track version will have air dams like some of the Viper Cars, STI's and most Exotic Road Endurance cars. These air damns tunnel the exiting air and help smooth things out (amongst other benefits) and with the proper wing it will help create vector downforce needed at high speeds. You can't just put the Air Dams in any place to be functional and optimal. It must first be tested in a wind tunnel (too expensive) or next best thing, CAD. I had a guy that I was going to work with but he's out of the project for family reason and now I need to find someone else that can mock it up on CAD.

Some examples of diffusers so you can get an idea:
(of course ours will follow the contours of the sn95 body lines & won't look ricey)

APR_rear_diffuser.gif

F430_press-diffuser.gif

rtyh.gif

25a23fd639e0a3bd435f7fc30d31ef12.gif
Rice? That is one of the most ignorant comments I've read on here in weeks. They serve a purpose, and they work. Wait, it's a Japanese car so it's Rice, never mind that you posted pictures of 100K+ exotics destined for high speed track use. :rollseyes

I'm very intrigued at the prospect of a functional version that actually works. My worry is that whoever makes it will just make it to look good instead of taking the time to properly design one that works. I have a feeling it will be a "faux" diffusor without any real attempt to make it work, other than "hey, it looks like those ones, so it works just like those ones".

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here at all, as I would love this cover and am eager awaiting the "racing" version even more, but I need to know if there is going to be any attempt to utilize science by design. There is a good amount of science that has to be applied in order for it to work, other than to just block off the air of the rear bumper. I can give you some links to sites of people that have taken the time to make functional ones if you want, or at least they give important information.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Rice? That is one of the most ignorant comments I've read on here in weeks. They serve a purpose, and they work. Wait, it's a Japanese car so it's Rice, never mind that you posted pictures of 100K+ exotics destined for high speed track use. :rollseyes

I'm very intrigued at the prospect of a functional version that actually works. My worry is that whoever makes it will just make it to look good instead of taking the time to properly design one that works. I have a feeling it will be a "faux" diffusor without any real attempt to make it work, other than "hey, it looks like those ones, so it works just like those ones".

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here at all, as I would love this cover and am eager awaiting the "racing" version even more, but I need to know if there is going to be any attempt to utilize science by design. There is a good amount of science that has to be applied in order for it to work, other than to just block off the air of the rear bumper. I can give you some links to sites of people that have taken the time to make functional ones if you want, or at least they give important information.

Not look Ricey meaning it WILL FLOW with the body lines of the sn95 and not appear as if it belongs on an import. Everyone else understood. The pictured 100k+ cars were set there for examples of FUNCTIONAL diffusers with the exception of the STI which has the muffler set in the tunnel. PM me any links you have. I accept any factual info.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
WE NEED MORE POEPLE TO SIGN ON! THE MORE WE GET PRODUCED THE CHEAPER PER PIECE IT WILL BE FOR ALL OF US! THOSE THAT ROAM IN OTHER FORUMS SPREAD THE WORD AND HAVE THEM SIGN ON!​

-CDC AEROSHIELD-
(Gas Tank Cover)

On the List:
8. paintballpyro1 :rockon:
9. 97 cobra :rockon:

Dropped off:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1eb8_12.gif

1fd0_12.gif

Update:
-Recent events-

"Robert,

Sadly, I have some bad news. We thought the tool was operational but it appears its not. It has a small stress crack that makes it unuseable. When we were cleaning it up we noticed it. Its been awhile since its been in production and the guy that manages the tools wasnt here when we took it out of production and didnt know it was because it was unuseable. I feel really bad about it but we're not going to be able to produce the piece..............

Colby Hubbard
Classic Design Concepts"

Colby gave me exclusive rights to have the cover reproduced by anyone as long as it is not for retail use/sale/profit.

Last week I contacted a SoCalCarbon & these are the routes we can take to get this done.

"Robert,

I will quote you some prices & different material so that you can get an idea on how much it'll be.

1) Repair part & make mold: If you do plan on making several peices of this then I would recomend making the Master Mold out of Epoxy, do to the fact that it will keep it's shape for an extremely long time w/o getting deformed. You can go a cheeper rout & do it out of polyester, but not recomended. I use aircraft grade epoxy on most molds that are in larger sizes & require multiple peices made.

Repair & Master Mold:

Parts made out of mold;
--Vacuum bagged exposed Carbon fiber with Core structure,epoxy (extremly strong part) ..$725.00

--Regular polyester wet lay up fiberglass part (least expensive; not as strong) ..$475.00

Hope this helps you out,

Kind regards,
Albert S."

We need to GET at least 12-15 firm members to sign up and take deposits to cover the price of the mold. Now the parts to be produced will depend on how strong of a part & on how much everyone would like to spend. Also, the cost of the mold would have to be spread even between all the buyers. Before any money is exchanged I will be visiting this shop and take pictures of the quality and samples of the 3 options we have.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Not look Ricey meaning it WILL FLOW with the body lines of the sn95 or appear as if it belongs on an import. Everyone else understood. The pictured 100k+ cars were set there for examples of FUNCTIONAL diffusers with the exception of the STI which has the muffler set in the tunnel. PM me any links you have. I accept any factual info.

I know too many Mustang drivers that use the term rice as a derogatory term for anything dealing with an import car, even if it's fast, handles one rails, or is functional etc. Please understand.

I'm really interested, but the only problem is that I am a poor college student and that 700 +shipping is too much for me, but if a functional one came out available in a straight black for cheaper I'd be in.

I'm Poor. :(

PM sent. :coolman:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Disappointing to hear after all the effort brother - those prices are ridiculous - I can't believe CDC can't "produce" another mold. Hell don't they have their own facility?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
AnaheimE Thanks for those links, a lot of trial and error info on them. The diffuser version of the cover is NOT the one that the current members have signed up for. They have signed up for a reproduction of the CDC Aeroshield which has been discontinued for years now. The Diffuser version is being designed and will be tested as much as my funds allow it before production (that will be a while).

97 cobra Understood man, no problem. I'll take you off the list.

SVT-VNM This is actually a cheap way to build a mold & yet get a strong part. A urethane part using RIM process is out of our reach. I tried my best to get CDC to produce it again their tooling has suffered the consequences of time and no maintenance and can no longer be used effectively.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member

-CDC AEROSHIELD-
(Gas Tank Cover)

On the List:

Dropped off: :shrug:
97 cobra - Funds Needed Elsewhere

1eb8_12.gif

1fd0_12.gif

Update:
-Recent events-

"Robert,

Colby Hubbard
Classic Design Concepts"

"Robert,

Repair & Master Mold:

Parts made out of mold;

Hope this helps you out,

Kind regards,
Albert S."

We need to GET at least 12-15 firm members to sign up and take deposits to cover the price of the mold. Now the parts to be produced will depend on how strong of a part & on how much everyone would like to spend. Also, the cost of the mold would have to be spread even between all the buyers. Before any money is exchanged I will be visiting this shop and take pictures of the quality and samples of the 3 options we have available.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Well guys I think we have plucked this chicken for all it's worth. I've been PM'ed about the price from the shop being too high but what is to expect on a project like this? Also, no new members have signed up and it pretty much seems unreachable at this point as members have been dropping off. I've run out of time to dedicate to this project. I'll be selling the Cover soon. I'll be making a mold out of it first but it will be used to prototype the V2 & V3 versions of the cover which I will be working on. Thanks to all those that supported this and good luck to all in locating a cover.

-The END -​
:burn:​

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Around the second week of July I will be building my own from fleece and resin....

Will probably make a mold and build it out of carbon fiber...

Users who are viewing this thread