Gas smell

s351

Established Member
Any other gas smell guru's?? I only have a fuel smell issue when I use my climate control when not moving as soon as I'm moving the smell doesn't come through the vents, when I stop its pretty bad.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Any other gas smell guru's?? I only have a fuel smell issue when I use my climate control when not moving as soon as I'm moving the smell doesn't come through the vents, when I stop its pretty bad.

I saw some other post about that problem. Do a search.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Okay so that didn't work. The gas smell is back. I took out the vapor canister and it looks okay to me but not sure what it should look like. It smells like gas real bad so I hooked the air hose to the intake side and ran air through it for about 15 mins than left it out in the sun all day. Its not stopped up and the valve is working also. Been reading about a canister behind the passenger side front fender. haven't looked into that area yet. The gas smell always comes from the back of the car and its strong. All the hoses look good and are tight at the connections. Should I replace the vapor canister anyway. Its about 100 bucks and will be glad to pay it if that's the problem.

Last edited:

Chipofsc

Established Member
image.jpgFound this under the hood search for gas leak. I think this is where the gas vapors get injected into the engine. Maybe mine has been disconnected. If so why don't I get a check engine code. Anyone

TRBO VNM

That hasn't been disconnected. That is supposed to look like that. The other end connects in the vacuum harness.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If that's what I think it is, it's for hooking up a machine to do a smoke check to look for leaks.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I don't know and don't really care because it is ripped out when I delete everything on the driver side of the blower. It is not causing your gas smell.

Chipofsc

Established Member
If it has anything to do with the EVAP system not working it will. Its on the passenger side anyway.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Anything that connects to it is for testing purposes from the manufacturer/dealer. The bottom is capped from the factory and every one is like that. I can show you multiple ones I have pulled out. They are all the same.

Why do you not think it is the fuel hose you installed?

Chipofsc

Established Member
Because it comes from the back of the car only. And it just started in the last month. I can smell it mostly when I driving. I think it's vapors from the evap system. Doing a smoke test tomorrow. The car has a little gas smell in the garage but not bad. Prob the hose. The smell I'm talking about will make you pull over thinking the car is leaking gas on the road. No leak to be found. I respect all your opinions and welcome all suggestions. I though the evap system was removed because I can't find a connection on the intake where it connects. Talked to the tuner today and he said it was connected and working. Hope the smoke finds the leak.

TRBO VNM

No matter what, I almost guarantee that hose is weeping. May not be the whole problem, but it is contributing to it. I had aeroquip socketless hose and had the exact same smell you are talking about. Smelled like raw fuel. No leaks or anything and I only smelled it when driving. I did have odor in the garage as well. Changed the hose and it fixed it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I doubt its his fuel hose. He said the problem just randomly started about a month ago and also his smell comes and goes. A leaky connector maybe but not the hose. When you have non PTFE hose that weeps fuel smell it's consistent and horrible. There's no periods of no smell.

Any tune changes? If you're running an open loop tune the evap stuff is disabled in the tune. After a period of driving the tank builds pressure and starts to force it past the gas cap and you get the strong smell from the back of the car as you are reporting. Filling the tank is a temporary solution which you also noted works for you. Sounds like your evap system has failed or is disabled in the tune.

TRBO VNM

My smell wasn't immediate. It was after about 6-8 months of being used. When weep happens depends on quality of hose. Like I said, it may not be the only issue but I bet it is part of the problem and if not, eventually will be.

Last edited:

Chipofsc

Established Member
I don't have a return system and I talked to the tuner yesterday. He did not disable the system. That was my first thought. I do have ford GT pumps and have read your post on how it would be worst with less fuel in the tank. I have a full tank now and it's still doing it. I purchased the car in October last year and don't drive it that much so this is the first experience with warm weather. I feel like it's the evap system and I don't understand why I don't have a check engine light. Should know something today after the smoke test.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My smell wasn't immediate. It was after about 6-8 months of being used. When weep happens depends on quality of hose. Like I said, it may not be the only issue but I bet it is part of the problem and if not, eventually will be.

Could be quality of hose like you said. Mine was so instant I just primed the pumps before even starting the car and it smelt like someone just dumped gas all over the garage floor. It was horrendous instantly.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Don't know the age of the hose. It was on the car when I purchased it.. The engine install was 11000 mile ago so I feel sure the hose was new then. It's a blue color hose. You can see the hose in the picture I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread