Gas smell

Chipofsc

Established Member
Been chasing a gas smell from the back of my cobra. Haven't taken the tank out yet but the seal for the filler tube looks good. All the vent hoses look ok far as I can tell. It seem to get worst after driving for about 20 mins. I'm down to 1/8 tank and it still smells. Any thoughts before I take the tank out.

1evilgtmustang

Established Member
I have the same problem. But mine only happens right after I put gas in it. I know you normally smell some but it's a really bad smell

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Isn't there a hose that runs from the tank to a canister in the passenger fenderwell? One of the hoseson top of the tank might've broken.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
There's also some other lines on drivers side. One could have popped off.

Chipofsc

Established Member
I keep getting the fuel cap light coming on. That tells me I have a vent leak somewhere. From what I have read is they leak from the filler seal and fuel pump gasket. My gut tells me it's in the vent but won't know for sure until I drop the tank and make sure it's not the pump gasket. The vent system is a little confusing.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Pulled the tank out today and no leaks anywhere. Seal looked good. The filler tank tube has a check valve at the end and mine was very weak. Don't know what it should look like. I guess I'm back looking at the vent system. How do you know if the canister is bad? What else could it be.

OP for several months, after doing the PPRV delete, I had a very strong smell of fuel from the back of my Cobra as well. It was always the strongest after shutting the vehicle down for the day and the fumes were always concentrated in the rear of the vehicle. Ultimately the source of the problem was the canister valve hose up front was off and the evap management valve was dirty. Since that was corrected that fuel smell hasn't returned. Hopefully this is your cause since you already dropped your fuel tank.

Chipofsc

Established Member
My smell is at its worst is about 20 mins of driving. Even with the top down it is bad. Can say it gets worst after stopping. Where exactly is the canister. Is it driver side rear next to the tank. Can you clean them or just replace them

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
It's behind the driver tire, I doubt the canister would go bad maybe the purge valve or the tube from the valve to front came out. It's a soft hose that a hard plastic hose fits into there's are a push on connector there for the tank to canister. Most of those lines throw codes if they're off though because of the emissions Nazis.

Last edited:

Chipofsc

Established Member
I did have gas cap light come on a couple of times. I replaced the cap and it still came back on. I did find a loose hose on the filler tank pipe. Pushed it back on and the smell still came back. I'll run down the hose you are talking about. Where does it end up under the hood.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Attachs to the others on top of the tank that go to the metal hard line that goes to the pass fender. I just put back my whole evap system that I skipped in the swap I'll see if I can find the diagrams I used.

EDIT:
fueltank01.jpg

GT tank (not mine) but same evap two on the left are tank to canister and purge to engine. The one sticking up goes to the silver hard line to the fender. Two on the right go to the fill neck one has a clip one uses a rubber connector.

Then you got this guy in the fender
PurgeValve.jpg

Two big ports one goes to the hard line from the back and tees with a test port, the other goes to the plenum. Plus a small vacuum line from the the back of the blower I believe or maybe from the side with the other emissions stuff haven't followed that one.

That's pretty much the whole thing. Just did GT pumps myself.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

This single rubber line, where is it? You mention gt pumps with the single rubber line. explain more please

Chipofsc

Established Member
Its a blue fuel line from the pumps through a large filter in the stock location over the IRS then down the passenger side inside the frame connectors to the passenger side fuel rail. WHY ?

bigmoose

Established Member
That fuel line sounds like it could be the issue. Older lines that are not PTFE are known the seep a little fuel thus causing a fuel smell all the time.

Chipofsc

Established Member
I have a slight fuel smell in the garage but the smell I'm talking about is like someone poured gas in the back seat. It's very strong.

TRBO VNM

yeah, I had a similar smell and it was the rubber fuel line. I could be cruising highway and would smell raw fuel. Had no leaks anywhere and the rest of my system was fine. But the areoquip push lock line was the culprit.

This is why I asked and shocked nobody else caught that little blurb.

Is that your issue? Not certain, but it is contributing.

Chipofsc

Established Member
I took Malcolm's advice and filled the tank. So far no gas smell. I'll see what happens when the tank gets low. Check out his post on this matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread