Gas Grill Recomendations

Blown 89

Established Member
Im wood pellet. Rec -tec is the brand. Much better tasting steaks than gas grill.
I'm shocked more people haven't recommended a pellet grill. My dad bought me a Traeger and it pretty much made my gas grill obsolete. I'll be replacing the grill with an outdoor gas range instead.

nickf2005

Established Member
I've not ever had a Weber to compare to, but I really like my Charboil Infrared. I've learned how to grill with it versus a traditional grill and I've not had a bad meal off of it in 6 years. It's actually kind of hard to burn anything.

I did have to order new cooking grates, trays, and igniter after 5 years, but it was an easy replacement. I like that it has an electronic regulator so I can turn it to "clean" after grilling, turn the burners on high, and it cooks everything left behind to a crisp and shuts off the gas after 10 minutes.

I may have to do some Weber research though when it comes time to replace.

Agree... whatever you do buy, put a cover on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely go with a Weber. Even if you go with a less expensive model like Spirit, you can buy replacement parts when things get worn out and need to be replaced, which is really nice instead of buying a new grill. I rebuilt my mother's 7 year old Weber a couple weeks ago for $170 and it's back to functioning like new. I took possession of a Weber charcoal grill my mom and dad bought back in the early 80s and it's still in great shape. No rust anyway.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a webber as well. Its been outside for 7 years now. I converted it to NG.

Works like it did when it was new.
How did you do it? I had an NG line ran to the back porch, but Weber no longer sells a conversion kit. Lots of sketchy YouTube videos out there, don’t know what to believe at this point.

blownfox

Established Member
I have a Weber Genesis 330 and a Traeger and the quality of the Weber is way better than the Traeger. If you have the money, I would look at Yoder smokers. My neighbor has a Yoder smoker and it has every function my Weber has and the quality is excellent. My Traeger feels like a tin can compared to the Yoder.

What do you have? Weber Genesis 330
How long have you had it? 5 years
How has it held up? Still looks new (everyday cooking)

What do you have? Traeger Pro 22
How long have you had it? 4 years (weekly smoking)
How has it held up? still looks new

Both my grills are covered and are located on my covered patio under the deck.

Last edited:

Smm7PT

Established Member
If you want to go something other than Weber, Holland is your answer. My uncle has one that is 15 years old and looks brand new. It has always been covered though.

Holland Grill Company

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Never_Enough

Established Member
I should not have entered this thread. Now I'm thinking maybe I should ditch my gas grill for a wood pellet.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Take the plunge and get a quality ceramic grill. We bought a big green egg 7-8 years ago, and haven't regretted even in the slightest. There's a lot of hype around the ceramic style grills, and it's real. Our Egg looks pretty much the same as it did 7+ years ago, save for some surface rust on the upper vent. I can't say that for any propane grill I've had in the past. I probably could have bought 2 eggs for all the money I spent on replacing gas grills and parts...
This. We've had an egg for 5 years. Wife uses it constantly and loves it. I used to buy a new grill every 3-4 years. This one will live longer than me. And everything tastes great cooked on the egg.

Never_Enough

Established Member
you should ditch your gas grill. Never used the pellet grills, but wouldn't trade anything for my charcoal grill.
Can't say I have had the desire to go back to charcoal, but maybe I should just because of the cost vs gas or pellet. My gas grill is rusting in the back & internals so it's on its way out...

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
I have 3 Webers, they are all awesome and I agree with everyone else who says Weber offers the best value for the money.

My gas grill is a Weber Spirit which is one of their less expensive models, but it is still a huge upgrade from all of the ones I've owned before.

The cast iron grates on the Spirit are nice, it heats evenly and cleans easily. I've had cast iron grates on other less expensive gas grills and they weren't nearly as nice as the Weber ones. It's very easy to grill chicken both directly and indirectly, and flare ups don't happen nearly as often vs other cheaper grills. It does great for burgers too, pretty much anything... though if I'm grilling steaks or larger pieces of meat I'll usually fire up the charcoal grill which brings me to my next Weber product.

My charcoal grill is a Weber Performer Deluxe. It's a large Weber kettle grill with a small gas burner that you use for a few minutes initially to start the charcoal. It uses small propane cylinders like you use for camp stoves. I really like starting charcoal this way, I did back-to-back comparisons using a standard chimney and I couldn't taste any difference. It's very convenient.

My most recent addition is my favorite, an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. This is my second smoker, I also have a horizontal offset "stick burner" which is nice, but requires a lot of attention to keep temps even. That's where the WSM really shines, it's VERY easy to maintain temps. I'll set it up and it will run for many hours with no adjustments required. This past weekend the wife and I smoked a whole chicken and two turkey legs and it was the best chicken I've ever tasted. Her aunts are in town so we're gonna fire it up again and do a pork shoulder. I absolutely LOVE the WSM. I'm gonna sell the horizontal offset smoker now that I've used it a few times.

Weber grills rock, I started out with one but now I have 3... I have nothing bad I can say about any of them.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I have 3 Webers, they are all awesome and I agree with everyone else who says Weber offers the best value for the money.

My gas grill is a Weber Spirit which is one of their less expensive models, but it is still a huge upgrade from all of the ones I've owned before.

The cast iron grates on the Spirit are nice, it heats evenly and cleans easily. I've had cast iron grates on other less expensive gas grills and they weren't nearly as nice as the Weber ones. It's very easy to grill chicken both directly and indirectly, and flare ups don't happen nearly as often vs other cheaper grills. It does great for burgers too, pretty much anything... though if I'm grilling steaks or larger pieces of meat I'll usually fire up the charcoal grill which brings me to my next Weber product.

My charcoal grill is a Weber Performer Deluxe. It's a large Weber kettle grill with a small gas burner that you use for a few minutes initially to start the charcoal. It uses small propane cylinders like you use for camp stoves. I really like starting charcoal this way, I did back-to-back comparisons using a standard chimney and I couldn't taste any difference. It's very convenient.

My most recent addition is my favorite, an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. This is my second smoker, I also have a horizontal offset "stick burner" which is nice, but requires a lot of attention to keep temps even. That's where the WSM really shines, it's VERY easy to maintain temps. I'll set it up and it will run for many hours with no adjustments required. This past weekend the wife and I smoked a whole chicken and two turkey legs and it was the best chicken I've ever tasted. Her aunts are in town so we're gonna fire it up again and do a pork shoulder. I absolutely LOVE the WSM. I'm gonna sell the horizontal offset smoker now that I've used it a few times.

Weber grills rock, I started out with one but now I have 3... I have nothing bad I can say about any of them.
With a name like BigFatMatt, I'm gonna trust that this guy knows grillin'. I'm not sayin', just sayin'.

Blown 89

Established Member
I should not have entered this thread. Now I'm thinking maybe I should ditch my gas grill for a wood pellet.
You'll be glad you did. Pellet grills are way more versatile than gas grills and produce better results IMO. The only thing it doesn't do well is sear but a range with cast iron or a chimney starter does that better anyway. Not only has it replaced my grill but also the oven in the kitchen for a lot of tasks so I don't have to heat the kitchen up in the summer. I bake bread, cook frozen pizzas, cook lasagna, cookies, pies etc on the pellet grill. It does a lot more than just meat. I sousvide my brats now but when you do it on the pellet grill flareups are a thing of the past which is nice too. It's just so much easier and does everything better. Win win.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Good thread. For the pellet guys, where do you buy them?

Rec Tec direct. Traeger is great and there are dealers out there. I went back and forth between these two and settled with Rec Tec due to more precise cooking temperature control. I use Rec Tec (The Bull) with Traeger mixed pellets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread