Future of E-85 in Jeopardy?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I live in Indiana - it would take a Federal law to kill it off in this state, no chance the state government would ever vote for something like this in a state full of corn farmers.

That's probably 100% correct.

Do you have a reference for this? Some people have been upset about E10, hurting certain types of engines like small engines or marine.

It was from the SEMA newsletter I receive as a member of SEMA.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.. So why are they trying to band it? It burns cleaner and less emissions? Are they trying to just get it out of regular fuel or do away with it all together? Im new to the E85 but am making the switch.

I read it two different ways. The first is that E10 motor fuel is essentially harmful to equipment and the legislatures want to limit the economic damages caused by it in their perspective states. The other is the recognition that corn based ethanol in general is nothing but a government boondoggle and essentially a welfare program for corn farmers and ag-business and they have a desire to end it.

There is ethanol free gas available, but the price is huge .
Secondly it is only available as 93 octane here.
So there is a double whack to the wallet.

Unfortunately the EtOH free fuel around here tends to be 87 or 89. I wish some place had 93. I'd pay $4.00/gallon for it.

I've not had a problem with it. I run small engines 12 months a year to mow n edge. So, fuel sitting for long durations is not an issue here. If you plan on the device sitting long durations because of the weather conditions of the area you live in.....run the device to empty before storing. I can't see how simply running the device using E10 is creating the problem. My equipment would have failed long ago if that was the case.

Your only other alternative is buy the cans of E-0 being sold at wallymart or small engine shops. And even then most manufacturers will recommend running to empty. Any fuel type stored too long inside a tank is not recommended.

I buy the quart cans of pre-mixed 2-stroke gas for my chainsaw and weedeater. It's insanely expensive for what it is, but you really can't argue with the results. Both pieces of equipment start and run flawlessly on it. Both devices sit for long periods of time as well. I only use about 2-4 cans of the stuff per year, so even with the greatly added cost vs. pump gas it really pays off for me in reduced headaches.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So here's how I imagine a general state ban on E10 (and proposed E15 and E20) blends of gasoline would work. Assume 10 or so states jump onboard and pass similar legislation as the TX proposal:

• Far less EtOH would be blended into the nations fuel supply.
  • The Fed is unlikely to remove its EtOH production mandates anytime soon.
  • Fuel blenders are left with a glut of EtOH, not enough customers to sell E10 blends to, and a Fed mandate to push the stuff out the door.
  • Fuel blenders pump out way more E85 in order to satisfy the Feds.
  • E85 prices drop and the fuel becomes more prevalent.

That's just one possible scenario.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since I am in California and E-85 is extremely rare I wrote to the state fuel board with a different suggestion.

Eliminate the 89 octane pumps. Make them an E-85 pump all across the state. Make Flex Fuel cars exempt from Smog Checks (some already are).

Eliminate all ethanol, methanol, MTBE from all other pump gas. And up the octane requirement fro 91 to 93.

Never heard back from them.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Since I am in California and E-85 is extremely rare I wrote to the state fuel board with a different suggestion.

Eliminate the 89 octane pumps. Make them an E-85 pump all across the state. Make Flex Fuel cars exempt from Smog Checks (some already are).

Eliminate all ethanol, methanol, MTBE from all other pump gas. And up the octane requirement fro 91 to 93.

Never heard back from them.

The problem with that is that 89 is just a blend of 87 and 93 (or 91 in your case). There is no separate tank for it.

However, I can tell you that CA does have basically the best diesel fuel in the nation. They mandate it has minimum cetane rating of 53. The federal minimum cetane number is 40, and that's what a large portion of the country is stuck with.

Users who are viewing this thread