Future of E-85 in Jeopardy?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I expect to see similar legislation to this from other states in the future:

In 2013, legislation to prohibit the sale and distribution of corn-based ethanol in Maine was signed into law. Under the new law, 10 other states or a number of states with a collective population of 30,000,000 would have to enact a similar prohibition before the Maine law could go into effect. This year, legislation has been introduced to amend the law to provide that this prohibition would take effect if only three other states have enacted laws that prohibit the sale of motor fuel containing corn-based ethanol.

It could mean one of a couple of things.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Well, unless they come up with another plant to make ethanol from in mass for E85, that's bad news for the folks doing high compression and high boost builds that require E85. I hope it doesn't make it through.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Don't want it, don't need it and don't use it. I just want them to remove it from the 93 octane fuel. But I can see how this would be a major blow to some guys that have built things up with their cars around E85 in mind.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I live in Indiana - it would take a Federal law to kill it off in this state, no chance the state government would ever vote for something like this in a state full of corn farmers.

lucheski

Established Member
I expect to see similar legislation to this from other states in the future:

It could mean one of a couple of things.

Do you have a reference for this? Some people have been upset about E10, hurting certain types of engines like small engines or marine.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have to clean the carburetors in everything I own every year due to E10. Generators, Pressure washer, lawn mower, chain saw, and trimmers. I never had this problem till it was mandated here.

GodStang

Established Member
Well, unless they come up with another plant to make ethanol from in mass for E85, that's bad news for the folks doing high compression and high boost builds that require E85. I hope it doesn't make it through.

Yep this would kill me. Now I work at a Fed site and they just added a ton of new E85 pumps. All the government vehicles are allowed to run.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I don't care about E85... They can make all of that they want. I just don't want E10 in any of my tanks.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So why would they ban E85 if future plans for gas will be E20?

Troponin

Established Member
They will ban E85, but they won't ban the use of ethanol in gasoline? Leave it to idiots to destroy our vehicles all in the name of giving yourself a pat on the back. Meanwhile, they jump in their 8mpg SUVs and high five each other for "saving the planet".

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They will ban E85, but they won't ban the use of ethanol in gasoline? Leave it to idiots to destroy our vehicles all in the name of giving yourself a pat on the back. Meanwhile, they jump in their 8mpg SUVs and high five each other for "saving the planet".

Yup thats our government

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
They are putting more and more E85 stations here in DFW. Hopefully the trend continues.

The trend is definitely growing here. The number of stations in DFW has probably more than doubled since I moved here in Summer of 2008, but I just wish more would come out my direction. There's only one station within thirty minutes of my house. Every time I'm planning to be in the area, I pack up three 5 gallon gas cans to fill while I'm there.

derricksmustang

Established Member
so why is being brought up now if this was a law that was to be paced in 2013? I like the idea of cleaner burning fuel and more HP wish I had more near me but im 45 min from everywhere. You south Michigan guys are there any down this way or do I need to go to ohio?

derricksmustang

Established Member
it would be nice to also see maybe a ethanol free gas for people who make a living with small engines if it is affecting them that bad. Do like they do for diesel fuel put a dye in it and call it off road. I know the dyed diesel fuel is just a tax thing but they fine you if its used on the road.

Troponin

Established Member
so why is being brought up now if this was a law that was to be paced in 2013? I like the idea of cleaner burning fuel and more HP wish I had more near me but im 45 min from everywhere. You south Michigan guys are there any down this way or do I need to go to ohio?

The original law was passed in 2013, however, the recent news is that, in order for them to apply the law, now only three states have to pass the same law, vs the 10 that were needed before.

derricksmustang

Established Member
Thanks for clearing that up for me.. So why are they trying to band it? It burns cleaner and less emissions? Are they trying to just get it out of regular fuel or do away with it all together? Im new to the E85 but am making the switch.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
E85 actually is cleaner. It may not have less emissions, but they are less toxic and are more biodegradable. That's why people used to cheat on their emissions sniffer test by filling their nearly empty tanks with a couple of gallons of denatured alcohol.

Troponin

Established Member
My only gripe about E85 is that it has too much leniency on it's composition. You have to test it occasionally and at any moment it can end up more like E75 and mess up your engine. It was about a year or two ago that the government allowed such reckless limits. What we need is a government free entity that grades fuels to come in and start advertising who is using good E85 and let's us know whose fuels are contaminated with water etc on a more local level too.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
If you tune on E85, I don't know that E70-75 would ruin your engine. It would just run richer. You'd have to be sure you tuned on the higher alcohol content though, which is easy enough to do for a one time thing.

Users who are viewing this thread