Future of E-85 in Jeopardy?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
what in the world is going in this thread? It's like a time machine and we're back to 2009 again with horribly incorrect info run amuck

check the FAQS in this section for the truth

orngpel

Established Member
E-85 Stations

so why is being brought up now if this was a law that was to be paced in 2013? I like the idea of cleaner burning fuel and more HP wish I had more near me but im 45 min from everywhere. You south Michigan guys are there any down this way or do I need to go to ohio?

I get mine at Speedway in Dundee!

derricksmustang

Established Member
Thanks Have you tested it? thats about the same distance from me as Ohio and circle K Id rather fill with speedway good old speedy points. I work in Ohio and dont know any other stations that have it besides circle K

Tractionless1

Established Member
I have to clean the carburetors in everything I own every year due to E10. Generators, Pressure washer, lawn mower, chain saw, and trimmers. I never had this problem till it was mandated here.

Not if you A. drain them each time you use them or B. use non ethanol fuel available at many gas stations and marinas.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
There is ethanol free gas available, but the price is huge .
Secondly it is only available as 93 octane here.
So there is a double whack to the wallet.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm about 30 minutes from ethenol free gas, and like already posted. It is just 93 octane and cost is 4.85 per gallon here. 93 octane E10 at the pump is 2.44 per gallon....

That works great in theory, but not for running a chainsaw.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm about 30 minutes from ethenol free gas, and like already posted. It is just 93 octane and cost is 4.85 per gallon here. 93 octane E10 at the pump is 2.44 per gallon....

That works great in theory, but not for running a chainsaw.

Who cares. We're not on svt/distillery to talk about small engines. Maybe you should try weedwacker.com/fuels/letscryaboutethanol

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Who cares. We're not on svt/distillery to talk about small engines. Maybe you should try weedwacker.com/fuels/letscryaboutethanol.com

So you like E10? As I've stated. I have not problems with E85 and hope that they keep it. My point was that it would not hurt my feelings if they did away with E10.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
E10 doesn't make a bit of difference to me personally. It's not hurting any of my vehicles, and the small drop in gas mileage is negligible. I understand you being frustrated about it if you work with small engines though.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
So you like E10? As I've stated. I have not problems with E85 and hope that they keep it. My point was that it would not hurt my feelings if they did away with E10.

I've not had a problem with it. I run small engines 12 months a year to mow n edge. So, fuel sitting for long durations is not an issue here. If you plan on the device sitting long durations because of the weather conditions of the area you live in.....run the device to empty before storing. I can't see how simply running the device using E10 is creating the problem. My equipment would have failed long ago if that was the case.

Your only other alternative is buy the cans of E-0 being sold at wallymart or small engine shops. And even then most manufacturers will recommend running to empty. Any fuel type stored too long inside a tank is not recommended.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I do drain them during long storage. The post I was referring to had told me to drain them after every use.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I do drain them during long storage. The post I was referring to had told me to drain them after every use.

Are you clearing the purge bulb? Drain the tank, punch the purge until it clears empty and then try to fire the device one last time to clear the carb.

The only other thing I have noticed is the 2 stroke oil bottles have become very confusing on the mix ratios...it use to be almost all the small bottles were 2.6 ounces intended for 1 us gallon to achieve essentially around 40:1 ratios. These oil bottles of today I've noticed are no longer uniform on mix ratios. Some require additional measuring and/or have multiple possible mix ratios. I think some people accidentally have too much oil ratio and I could see that gumming up carbs over time with poor performance. Also....always shake the fuel storage can before filling the device to mix if there has been some separation.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yes. It isn't a problem with storing everything. The issue just happens after long use. I usually have to de-gum my chainsaw after about every 12-20 hours of work. or else it starts getting a bit of lag and seems down on power a bit. I asked the chainsaw shop about it and he pointed to a bench that had about 50 chainsaws sitting on it waiting to be serviced. He said all of those are in for the reason I am describing. He said he has been making a killing cleaning carburetors since they started adding ethanol. I also wonder if there isn't another additive that they might have changed in the mix as well. I'm just glad that I can service my stuff my self.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Another quick thought since you brought up the oil. I wonder if maybe if there is some property of it that doesn't mix well with ethanol?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm going to start adding something like startron to my mixes and see if that effects anything in the next few weeks.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The "turf n irrigation" shop 5 minutes from my house is the same way....piles of devices "clogged carbs" that he claims is because of that ethanol. He gets $75/hr to work on those things lol. None of mine have been to his shop and continue to run great.

I have personally always tried to use the standard echo 2 stroke oil since I have an echo edger and blower. Echo has since come out with "red armor" oil and I've tried it has worked just fine. Here it is, maybe give it a try since you brought up mixing with ethanol and fuel stabilization. They seem to have marketed that in this all in one product....just make sure it's industry ratings are appropriate for your device

http://www.redarmoroil.com/

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Two more popped up in the latest SEMA newsletter:

Legislation to prohibit the sale of motor fuel with an ethanol mixture was introduced in the Texas House of Representatives. The bill recognizes that ethanol fuels cause problems with fuel pumps, fuel gauges, as well as other engine performance issues, especially over a period of time when the vehicle is not used. Current high-performance specialty parts along with pre-model-year ’01 cars and parts may be most susceptible to corrosion.

In 2013, SEMA-supported legislation to prohibit the sale and distribution of corn-based ethanol in Maine was signed into law. Under the new law, 10 other states or a number of states with a collective population of 30 million would have to enact a similar prohibition before the Maine law could go into effect.

This year, legislation has been introduced to amend the law to provide that this prohibition would take effect if only three other states have enacted laws that prohibit the sale of motor fuel containing corn-based ethanol. The bill will be considered by the Joint Environment and Natural Resources Committee, Thursday, March 26, 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread