Full 3 inch system

mach1033

Established Member
I went looking on the web for a full 3 inch system for my car. My only concern is that I have to have CATS on the car due to getty a fine should I get pulled over. The LT's have to be a 1 7/8's and I prefer stainless but ceramic is fine as well. Anyone know of a dealer that sells such a set up? All the kits that I saw were all off road types. Looks like I will be selling my complete system from my car. Oh well :shrug:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Have you looked at Stainless Works products? I know they offer a full 3" from headers back with or without cats. I'd check Lethal's website.

You could also go with a setup with say 1-7/8" Kooks and 3" X-Pipe and run either a MAC, Bassani, or Dynomax 3" Catback. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Have you looked at Stainless Works products? I know they offer a full 3" from headers back with or without cats. I'd check Lethal's website.

You could also go with a setup with say 1-7/8" Kooks and 3" X-Pipe and run either a MAC, Bassani, or Dynomax 3" Catback. :thumbsup:

The Bassani cat back sounds like the way to go as I was leaning towards that. But when I called Lethal before they said that the only ones they had were an off road with 1 and 7/8's LT. I have about a month before my motor is put back together so I have some time to find a system and sell my current one. :beer:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
The Bassani cat back sounds like the way to go as I was leaning towards that. But when I called Lethal before they said that the only ones they had were an off road with 1 and 7/8's LT. I have about a month before my motor is put back together so I have some time to find a system and sell my current one. :beer:

I had the Bassani 3" catback on my car and it sounded great. The fit was a little off mainly because I didn't feel like grinding down my IRS brace. I also had to trim some of the piping because the tips stuck out way too far for my taste.

What's your current setup?

mach1033

Established Member
I have Mac LT's, Lethal x pipe catted and Magnapacks cat back. I did some more researching and I bought the DR.Gas 3 inch x pipe and Magnaflow high flow 3 inch cats. I'm gonna go with the Kooks LT's in the next 3 weeks. Then finally buy the Bassani's. Should sound interesting with some cams.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Kook's can make you anything you want, just gotta call them.. Tell them what you want and that you want a 3'' midpipe with cats, they'll do it..

Satin03

Established Member
I have Mac LT's, Lethal x pipe catted and Magnapacks cat back. I did some more researching and I bought the DR.Gas 3 inch x pipe and Magnaflow high flow 3 inch cats. I'm gonna go with the Kooks LT's in the next 3 weeks. Then finally buy the Bassani's. Should sound interesting with some cams.

Post up pics when done...I'd be interested to see how the cats fit in the Dr. Gas pipe. I have the same 3" pipe from Dr. Gas and thought about putting cats in there but ended up not having any space to splice them in anyway. So, I would be interested to see how you set it up. In any case, your setup should sound great. GL!

mach1033

Established Member
Post up pics when done...I'd be interested to see how the cats fit in the Dr. Gas pipe. I have the same 3" pipe from Dr. Gas and thought about putting cats in there but ended up not having any space to splice them in anyway. So, I would be interested to see how you set it up. In any case, your setup should sound great. GL!

I bought the 3 inch cats from summit along with there hardware to slip these in 3 inch openings on the x pipe and LT's. The rep said it should be an "easy" fit lol. I also decided to go with a step header. I will post up pics when its done.

vadorsnake04

Established Member

just to warn you. If you are wanting it to sound good with your cams the bassani 3" is not the way to go i switched to stainless works 3" because the bassani ruined the cam sound, but bassani does sound good while driving. Here are some comparison video's.

Bassani:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQLojNdPLJk"]YouTube - cammed cobra 2[/nomedia]

Stainless works:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-y_I93ltY"]YouTube - cammed cobra with stainless works 3" mufflers[/nomedia]

mach1033

Established Member
just to warn you. If you are wanting it to sound good with your cams the bassani 3" is not the way to go i switched to stainless works 3" because the bassani ruined the cam sound, but bassani does sound good while driving. Here are some comparison video's.

Bassani:
YouTube - cammed cobra 2

Stainless works:
YouTube - cammed cobra with stainless works 3" mufflers

Thanks for the vids. I am thinking of piecing together a 3 inch set for myself. I'm torn between the Borla XR-1 3 inch muffler or the Magnaflow 3 inch. As for the tail pipes I'm going with the dynomax 3 inch stainless steel. I already bought a DR. Gas X pipe with Magnaflow 3 inch cat.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Thanks for the vids. I am thinking of piecing together a 3 inch set for myself. I'm torn between the Borla XR-1 3 inch muffler or the Magnaflow 3 inch. As for the tail pipes I'm going with the dynomax 3 inch stainless steel. I already bought a DR. Gas X pipe with Magnaflow 3 inch cat.

no problem, good luck. I cant wait to hear it!:rockon:

Satin03

Established Member

Hey Mach, sounds like either would be a good setup however you may want to look into the Dynomax 3" tailpipes. I didn't think the made stainless just alumized.

mach1033

Established Member
Hey Mach, sounds like either would be a good setup however you may want to look into the Dynomax 3" tailpipes. I didn't think the made stainless just alumized.

I looked up the tailpipes through summit and the description states stainless steel. I havent called them yet but I will verify it.

GodStang

Established Member

Bassani:
YouTube - cammed cobra 2

Stainless works:
YouTube - cammed cobra with stainless works 3" mufflers

What he said Bassani is horrible with cams. I hate mine.

On a side note I am building my own. You can buy the 3" IRS tail pipes, mufflers, brackets, and short pieces all separate. I have Kooks LTs. I am getting a kooks mid pipe from kooks. You can also get a catted one. Then I am doing Borla XR-1 mufflers and then the tail pipes. All 16ga 3" Stainless 304L and in the end it will run ~$500 for catback and $350 for mid pipe.

Doing it this way I can swap out mufflers when ever I like.

mach1033

Established Member
What he said Bassani is horrible with cams. I hate mine.

On a side note I am building my own. You can buy the 3" IRS tail pipes, mufflers, brackets, and short pieces all separate. I have Kooks LTs. I am getting a kooks mid pipe from kooks. You can also get a catted one. Then I am doing Borla XR-1 mufflers and then the tail pipes. All 16ga 3" Stainless 304L and in the end it will run ~$500 for catback and $350 for mid pipe.

Doing it this way I can swap out mufflers when ever I like.

It is actually cheaper to buy it seperatly which is usually the opposite. Borla XR-1's do sound great. I wish I could here the 3 inch Magnaflow's. So the way I'm going is Kooks step header, Magnaflow 3 inch cat, DR.Gas x pipe, Dynomax tailpipes, Magnaflow 4 inch chrome tips and either Borla or Magnaflow 3 inch race mufflers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread