Fuel System Cleaners

So how exactly do any of these fuel cleaners 'clean' desposits that are already on the intake valves? At least that's what they all seem to claim.

Rambro

Established Member
Quick question. I just got a bottle of the techron and it says it treats 20 gallons of gas. I think my 03 cobras tank holds about 15 gallons, how much should I put in there? I remember reading somewhere that if you use too much fuel system cleaner it can dilute the oil or something. I was thinking maybe 3/4 or 1/2 bottle?

In simplified terms, it soaks in and lowers temperature at which the deposits will burn away.

Thanks Jimmy. You know I've actually become a fuel system cleaner junkie. After I did the new RP fuel system cleaner, I just went whacko. Went with the Redline FS cleaner, then I went with 4 consecutive cans of BG 44K. Dumped a can of Seafoam cleaner today and now I'm about to deposit the Lucas fuel system cleaner that treats 100 ga1. Just going to dump the whole thing in and clal the fuel system 'treated' until the summer blend fuel shows up.

kingnut

Established Member
man unless your fuel up there contains 10% raw crude oil... i would say thats overkill.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks Jimmy. You know I've actually become a fuel system cleaner junkie. After I did the new RP fuel system cleaner, I just went whacko. Went with the Redline FS cleaner, then I went with 4 consecutive cans of BG 44K. Dumped a can of Seafoam cleaner today and now I'm about to deposit the Lucas fuel system cleaner that treats 100 ga1. Just going to dump the whole thing in and clal the fuel system 'treated' until the summer blend fuel shows up.

At some point the engine is going to be pretty much clean and a switch to much less aggressive treatment will be appropriate.

Far less will be needed than what you described above simply to maintain engine cleanliness.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Quick question. I just got a bottle of the techron and it says it treats 20 gallons of gas. I think my 03 cobras tank holds about 15 gallons, how much should I put in there? I remember reading somewhere that if you use too much fuel system cleaner it can dilute the oil or something. I was thinking maybe 3/4 or 1/2 bottle?

3/4s of a bottle. :shrug:
Assuming you are planning on treating a full tank?

Unless you have a problem with the engine dumping excessive amounts of fuel into the oil, how is a fuel additive going to get into your oil?:dw::shrug:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I'd dump in the entire bottle. It won't hurt anything.

SADDLE

Rock Chalk
Established Member
Would it be OK to add a bottle of the RP cleaner to a tank of as that has been treated with Stabil for winter storage? I'm thinking about using the RP product to treat my system but I want to see if I need to burn through the gas in the tank currently. Car is "put away" for another few weeks. It's BP 93 octane if that makes any difference.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Would it be OK to add a bottle of the RP cleaner to a tank of as that has been treated with Stabil for winter storage? I'm thinking about using the RP product to treat my system but I want to see if I need to burn through the gas in the tank currently. Car is "put away" for another few weeks. It's BP 93 octane if that makes any difference.

I recommend just waiting till the next tank to add Max-Clean and burn through that tank of gas just as it is. You don't want to stack up double doses of fuel additives if you don't have to.:beer:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
pmpp38712-cycleob1qtz9.jpg

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
My job just switched over to justice brothers products. They did a demonstration and I have to say, it was fairly eye opening. I couldn't believe how many fuel additives were petroleum based, and when added to gas, actually separated and sat on top of it instead of mixing with it, like we think its doing. Ain't gonna do a thing sitting on top of the gas when the pickup is on the bottom...

confused

Closet Mopar guy
Established Member
Used Techron for years and I like Seafoam through the vacuum line as well.The best additive I have seen used with good results is BG44K.
Hell I remember Marvel Mystery oil or even trans fluid poured down the carb and let it sit overnight.Back when cars had carburators lol.

IGO 202

Established Member
I use the cheap Berryman from Wal-Mart to soak my carburetor jets, works better than anything else I've tried.

On my old C5 fuel sensor trouble a tankful of gas with a bottle of Techron always cleared up the sulphur buildup.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread