Fuel Pump Failure FYI:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
We are close to agreeing, I just don't like when people post e85 is great and safe for everything!! I gains 80 hp and accidentally spilled some on my foot and it cured my gout and my limp is gone. The vapors cured my cancer... it seems according to some tuners e85 is killing pumps without the bap's . E85 contains less energy than gas.. so you need roughly 1/3 more e85 than gas. It's saving grace is higher octane. Which you can really gain an advantage with higher compression, enter heads , pistons, or forced induction however to get the real numbers you can get you need to upgrade the fuel system. . Which seeing as this fuel system isn't designed to handle e85.. should be a step in the process to be safe, otherwise you are doing it wrong. That's what I'm saying

What you need to do is study E85 and understand what it is and how it works. Your post clearing shows you have no idea how the fuel works and what it can and can't do for you. If you choose not too then dont run it. Plain and simple

Dan12GT

Established Member
I don't know much about e85 other than it has a faster burn rate and is a safer, cooler burning fuel to use so i'd image that you need to push a stock pump even harder to equal out your fuel needs for the motor as compared to using 93.

Pushing more voltage to something mechanical will obviously cause it to work harder, faster, hotter and ... ultimately have a shorter life span because you are pushing it beyond its designed capabilities. To me seems very risky running upwards of 700hp on a stock pump / BAP. I wouldn't ever consider going past 600 without reworking the fuel system, just seems like a ticking time bomb.

Just consider how much fuel delivery is designed with gt500s compared to a 5.0 obviously there was not a consideration for the 5.0 fuel pumps to go much beyond what it needed.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Just like guys will say build the motor when you boost you need the proper fuel system that supports E85. Kinda funny some see a BAP as acceptable when running E85 but use one with a blower and they call you a cheap ass.

Riptide

Established Member
Paranoia about BAP. They have been around forever and work fine. So what you might shorten the life of the pump so it lasts 9 years instead of 10? Everything is speculatory about the alleged reduction in lifespan and how much that equates out to.

Dan12GT

Established Member
Paranoia about BAP. They have been around forever and work fine. So what you might shorten the life of the pump so it lasts 9 years instead of 10? Everything is speculatory about the alleged reduction in lifespan and how much that equates out to.

It probably all depends on how much you are pushing it. I compare this somewhat to something I understand which is over clocking computer CPUs. I can't possibly expect to increase a huge amount of voltage and for it to work without out creating more cooling capacity to support the chip. More voltage = more heat /faster moving parts.

Seems logical you wouldn't want this long term unless you are doing something to create more assurances to the life of the pump, which all that seems is being done is simply bumping the voltage and crossing your fingers.

What is the common failure? Heat?

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
People have gotten away with running those things for years now. I can't even remember the last time I read of a failure. I'm sure it happens. Lotta people run them without the on/off switch and just have them going full time and still they just keep on functioning. That's how mine was wired on my kenne bell 3v. No vacuum switch.

Anyhow I know what you are getting at and logically yes you would assume it could or should effect the overall lifetime of the pump. But how much is anybody's guess and what little evidence there is seems to indicate it is minimal. Nobody has done a scientific study. And also comparing it to a cpu and overclocking is kinda an apples/oranges thing. Completely different devices.

mhyjek

Established Member

RusWolf

Established Member
So is there a more affordable way of upgrading your fuel system? (not everyone can drop $1400 plus installation on a new fuel system)

Possibly GT500 fuel pump since Shaun measured the max flow coming out of GT500 to be larger than 5.0.
Will a GT500 fuel pump be a straight forward replacement?

Let's say if someone wants to not go over the max of 700hp on stock block.

Users who are viewing this thread