Frustrated with twins...Wanna trade?

mike.b

Established Member
I figure anytime you are adding a turbo kit, much less a twin turbo kit to an N/A car, there is going to be a certain number/level of headaches. Sounds like your case was no different. Can't wait to see some vids of this doing work though!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
CSG said:
A kit at this pricepoint should include new lines for these with a design to keep them farther away from the hot parts.
I am going to have to disagree with this. Number one. If this kit included brake lines and A/C line, it might turn some people off from installing it. Number two. If this kit was for an exotic or import, it would be $20K+. V-Band clamps, stainless steel piping etc.... Try to figure out, source, package and sell this kit and you will see it as really quite a bargain.

Now, while it is not a piece of cake install, it can still be done by most with good mechanical skills.

Glad to see you getting it together. :beer:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
When Installed the twin kit on my car it wasn't to bad at all. I never had ac line failure of any kind. i ran my kit for about 7 months. I understand people get frustrated with brake lines and ac lines but realistically like said above. If you had to discharge your ac then pay a place to recharge it then re bleed your brakes and run new brake lines most people wouldn't buy it. It's a very nice quality kit that had to be designed around some crazy tight tolerances and I feel they did an incredible job.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
pics of my steering shaft clearance. (X pipe isn't on yet tho)

847D56F7-98B5-4503-AB1C-DE54E636128A-14984-000004155F4F18C1_zpsa142c968.jpg

5972CC67-2349-4D50-A4CD-0AEEEB938D90-14984-000004155AFCE3EF_zpsa54db643.jpg

C063942B-B1D9-41F9-B517-CC808B6B1707-14984-0000041557245EDD_zps0cdbf573.jpg

F0911B8F-5303-4D5F-9E79-1C7DE1925C6F-14984-0000041551D85931_zpse14bde33.jpg

StevenStarke

Established Member
For $7500 you think it should come with MORE?!?!??! WOW man. A local shop to me builds twin kits for Jeep and challenger SRT8's. They get 12k for a twin kit and that's NOT replacing your headers, lol. Just tubing and turbo parts. I think this kit is a steal at the price it's at. The amount of time they spend packaging it and so on is amazing. Twin kits from UGR for Gallardos are 50k. And they come with the same precision turbos (in BB), Tial Gates and Bov's. This kit is entirely SS and uses V band connections wherever possible. And they use name brand parts. ON3 kits uses eBay turbos, gates and bov's and the piping doesn't even fit right. His hardware doesn't work either. But you get some lines, lol.

I'm just calling it like I see it too. This is a brand new car and it's going to be very technical of an install. The lines will be fine if you insulate them as described. There HAS to be some cons ya know, The turbos can't really go anywhere else when you're doing twins, lol. And MOST people want to modify their car the LEAST amount possible. And MOST people (including myself) cannot weld or cut with a plasma, lol.

D.T.R

Established Member
For $7500 you think it should come with MORE?!?!??! WOW man. A local shop to me builds twin kits for Jeep and challenger SRT8's. They get 12k for a twin kit and that's NOT replacing your headers, lol. Just tubing and turbo parts. I think this kit is a steal at the price it's at. The amount of time they spend packaging it and so on is amazing. Twin kits from UGR for Gallardos are 50k. And they come with the same precision turbos (in BB), Tial Gates and Bov's. This kit is entirely SS and uses V band connections wherever possible. And they use name brand parts. ON3 kits uses eBay turbos, gates and bov's and the piping doesn't even fit right. His hardware doesn't work either. But you get some lines, lol.

I'm just calling it like I see it too. This is a brand new car and it's going to be very technical of an install. The lines will be fine if you insulate them as described. There HAS to be some cons ya know, The turbos can't really go anywhere else when you're doing twins, lol. And MOST people want to modify their car the LEAST amount possible. And MOST people (including myself) cannot weld or cut with a plasma, lol.

I couldn't agree with this anymore.
I haven't started my install yet, the whole kit is sitting at the house, but I kind of already went through something similar in my honda. When you go turbo, you are supposed to expect issues like this.

If you guys had your motor out during the install (I will swap for an aluminator), what all would you do to make this install go smoother? Does pulling the motor help addressing some of the issues mentioned previously?

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
Lets be honest, an A/C line and brake lines would add less than $100 to the cost of the kit. Big deal.

I do agree though that it would turn people off to know they had to replace those.

Coil cover off worked for the dipstick. I had not noticed how simple that was.

BUCKET

Established Member
Glad to see you are getting over the hump. There are few of us who have done this install, we all talk with each other. So never hesitate to ask questions or request a phone number.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I had the same thoughts as you when I first installed the kit CSG. I was honestly scared and wanted to get rid of the kit for fear of melting/busting something. All fears (most anyway) are gone now. This car is a lot of fun for only 4.5-5psi even if the tune isn't fully right. Just keep plugging away and you will be happy you did. Just like BUCKET said some of us have done what you are doing so don't hesitate to ask. I do have my DP wrapped and blankets on the exhaust housings and have been thinking of pulling the headers again to get them coated but I have had no heat issues despite the temps of the Deep South. You will be happy that you did the install yourself because pulling it apart again/putting back together is a breeze the 2nd(or 3rd..etc) time around.

:banana:

D.T.R

Established Member
I am getting mine coated... i just don't know if I want to wrap it as well.
I think coating should be enough.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I am getting mine coated... i just don't know if I want to wrap it as well.
I think coating should be enough.

I definitely think coating would be enough but more never hurts. You really could get away with doing nothing as far as heat maintenance but that's not how I like to roll. I really wish I would have done the coating beforehand.

CSG

Established Member
I wish I had done a coating especially on the headers. I know on my fox that Hellion said not to wrap the header as it would hold too much heat and damage the header. The wrap really looks shitty. I may pull it off the small pipes from the wastegates just to look better. I wrapped the A/C line with titanium wrap to make me feel better...

I could definetly install this kit now ALOT faster with much less aggravation. Some things in the instructions took a while to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I still have not gotten the front bumper quite right. I've trimmed alot off of it but it still has some resistance while putting it in place. Ran out of time last night so I did not finish that.

D.T.R

Established Member
While i do believe/understand the reason as to why some companies say that coating it can wear out the headers faster, i really don't believe it'd take a toll enough for one to notice a shorter life on the materials of the header. maybe if you kept the car/headers for like 15yrs, then you might eventually see something wear out. At which point, I'd be happy everything lasted that long anyways...

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I wish I had done a coating especially on the headers. I know on my fox that Hellion said not to wrap the header as it would hold too much heat and damage the header. The wrap really looks shitty. I may pull it off the small pipes from the wastegates just to look better. I wrapped the A/C line with titanium wrap to make me feel better...

I could definetly install this kit now ALOT faster with much less aggravation. Some things in the instructions took a while to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I still have not gotten the front bumper quite right. I've trimmed alot off of it but it still has some resistance while putting it in place. Ran out of time last night so I did not finish that.

I kinda like the look of wrap if done right. Maybe not on the headers but who knows. My front fascia doesn't fit quite right either despite immense amount of trimming but I'm still running my GTCS fogs so that may/may not have something to do with it. Ill probably have a couple more grind-fests until I get it right but until then it's not terribly noticeable. Just nitpicking.

StevenStarke

Established Member
You guys are having problems with the front bumper and My intercooler is SO far away from my bumper, I was contemplating NOT using the spacers, lol. But then the piping might not fit. It sits so far deep in there compared to my bumper, I wish it was a full inch thicker.

StevenStarke

Established Member
We really should get a nice group text going of people with the Hellion Twin kit so we can bounce small things off of each other.

BUCKET

Established Member
We do, all ya got to do is ask. Several of us text each other and still do after the install. I have shared my number many times via PM. I have given rides to people serious about maybe purchasing the kit. Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread