Frustrated with twins...Wanna trade?

CSG

Established Member
Well I've cooled off a little. Still have not changed my mind but lets discuss some TT issues... These are for anyone with this kit to answer:

How much clearance did you end up with between the steering shaft and downpipe?

How much between the A/C "fill line" and the nearest hot part?

How much between the bent A/C line & the nearest hot part?

What mercedes does this smaller battery come from and whats the cleanest way to rotate the tray?

Are you sure the battery tray is the only place the passenger downpipe is rattling?

Is your drivers downpipe quite close to the brake lines near the rear of the shock tower?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Well I've cooled off a little. Still have not changed my mind but lets discuss some TT issues... These are for anyone with this kit to answer:

What mercedes does this smaller battery come from and whats the cleanest way to rotate the tray?

Are you sure the battery tray is the only place the passenger downpipe is rattling?

Is your drivers downpipe quite close to the brake lines near the rear of the shock tower?

I'm glad I went with the TVS. I hate that stuff. Good luck OP. I'm sure you'll LOVE the power once all is said and done. Turbo's make some awesome/efficient power :rockon:

D.T.R

Established Member
OP,
All these people wanting to trade you, doesn't it make you think that it must be for a reason? Every car project of this depth will have kinks and will take time.
Try to gain some patience and get it done. When you get really frustrated just step out of the garage and go inside for a cold a beer. The next day will be a better day to wrench. At least, that's how I always do it.

svt04cobra1

Established Member

First just relax. Then I would either PM someone that has done the install them selves or Call a shop like BBR that has done about 20 installs and ask them those specific questions. I had BBR do my install so I can't answer your specific questions but I can tell you this. I don't have any turbo blankets or lava wrap of any kind on my pipes at all. I have raced my car and drive it in the FL summer heat all the time, usually about 40+ miles on the weekends. I don't have any issues with shit melting. There are a few misc wires they wrapped but the pipes have none. Now I did have an issue with the A/C line but BBR took care of it. Ended up touching the down pipe. Its all better now. Not a single rattle from this kit. Makes awesome power and driveability is like stock!!! As said above, once you work out the minor kinks you will be quite pleased with the results. :beer:

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member

About 1/8-1/16 inch

About 1/8-1/16 inch

About 1/4 inch

Mount tray 90* from where instructions say with positive closest to firewall.

Yes only tray

Yes very close but it's ok. About 1/8th inch

"Tight fit" is an understatement with this kit;-)

CSG

Established Member
Torchy, thanks for those numbers. About the same as I am seeing except for the shaft which is trying to occupy the same spot as the DP. I really don't see how else to rotate that DP and line up the bracket still, but I'll have at it again. Does the A/C still blow cold with all that heat next to the lines? I would like to see custom A/C lines but with the way the ends are done I am not sure how to get some made up.

Torchy

Established Member
Torchy, thanks for those numbers. About the same as I am seeing except for the shaft which is trying to occupy the same spot as the DP. I really don't see how else to rotate that DP and line up the bracket still, but I'll have at it again. Does the A/C still blow cold with all that heat next to the lines? I would like to see custom A/C lines but with the way the ends are done I am not sure how to get some made up.

No prob man. I thought about custom lines too but couldn't find anyone in town to make them/do it with a quick turn around. My A/C tends to warm up a little when I give it about 60% load or more then once the rpms drop it cools back down. I really don't think these cars have great A/C to begin with but then again I'm seeing 115* out side temps and my nav screen has read as high as 126* outside temps.

The clearance between the DP and shaft is more like 1/16th-1/32. I literally folded a sheet of paper over about 3-4 times and used it as a feeler gauge as I was tightening everything down to make sure tightening wasn't putting it on the shaft. Also use that bell to DP bracket, once you get it tightened. That'll keep it off the shaft. Btw that bracket it a pita to tighten lol. Ratcheting wrenches are your friend.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Honestly, regarding the downpipe on the driver on the side,,, You have to have the turbo facing a decent amount angled away from the front of the car, And then you have to play with the 2nd down pipe by twisting it until the bend goes around the shaft. When your done the 2 bolt flange will probably be closer to the floor of the car. Now I didn't actually connect my steering shaft, BUT I have a good 1/2 an inch clearance so far. I spoke to John urist at Hellion and he said, there is some play with how the engine mount is installed too. So I think it will be just fine. But I still need to get my X pipe on too. Does the X pipe have any hangers? If so I'm thinking of going with something like this:

Kartboy dot com :: Subaru Forester :: 2000-2005 Forester :: Kartboy Exhaust Hanger 12mm EXTRA LONG Single (BLACK)

I used those in the past and they work great. There really is no fix for the driver side downpipe not getting close. The pass side I don't have on yet, so I can't really speak but the driver side downpipe does get close to the brake lines and fuel lines. I bent them as far as out of the way as I could. I'm going to see how the heat is tolerated and it looks sketchy I'll change that fuel line to Stainless Steel.

CSG

Established Member
Well I pulled my panties up and modified the DP to bell bracket & put on the shaft and x-pipe. I was dead set on not making any modifications to the kit but there was no way around it. Once I accepted that it was forward progress. Once modified the x-pipe lined up perfectly as well which confirmed that it was not simply an alignment issue and that the bracket did need to be modified (slightly).

I started trimming the front fascia for the intercooler. Anybody have pics of where they trimmed? The vertical pieces are going to have to be trimmed on mine.

No hangers on the x-pipe. It's a shame that the on-3 kit comes with a new A/C line & new brake lines and the Hellion kit does not.

Torchy

Established Member
Well I pulled my panties up and modified the DP to bell bracket & put on the shaft and x-pipe. I was dead set on not making any modifications to the kit but there was no way around it. Once I accepted that it was forward progress. Once modified the x-pipe lined up perfectly as well which confirmed that it was not simply an alignment issue and that the bracket did need to be modified (slightly).

I started trimming the front fascia for the intercooler. Anybody have pics of where they trimmed? The vertical pieces are going to have to be trimmed on mine.

No hangers on the x-pipe. It's a shame that the on-3 kit comes with a new A/C line & new brake lines and the Hellion kit does not.

I had to modify my DP to Bell bracket. Yes I had to hack up that vertical piece on the drivers side that holds the bumper up too. No hangars for the x-pipe but the DP brackets serve as them.

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
I have a few loose ends to wrap up and then I'll be calling TSS to get this thing tuned. There have been two trade offers that I like so I will be keeping their info. in case I have another hissy fit.

CSG

Established Member
For anyone thinking of purchasing one of these kits I'll give my opinion. Right or wrong I call it how I see it.

Installation is not terrible but several items are quite frustrating. Namely the passenger side turbo mount V-band mostly. The steering shaft was no big deal once I figured out that I had to modify the bracket (grind one side down and elongate a slot).

The kit is compromised by the intent of not cutting the car up. If I were to remove /reinstall this kit there are places where I would trim the car and modify the kits parts. I have mig/tig/plasma, etc. so thats easy enough.

The other compromises are the brake lines and A/C lines and a small bit of wiring. A kit at this pricepoint should include new lines for these with a design to keep them farther away from the hot parts. Time will tell how long the original pieces live, but I feel their life has been shortened significantly.

Did I mention that you can't access the dipstick... That sucks.

For what ever reason I found this install more frustrating then the 4 to 8 conversion in my coupe which to this point was the biggest hassle I have had with mustangs. I guess I expected this to be similiar to a supercharger install (I've done 9 of those) and it definetly was more involved then that.

Torchy

Established Member
Might have driver DP too close to head. I can get my dipstick out with just fingers but it's a bit of a hassle.

BUCKET

Established Member
I pop the cover off and pull it right out and can install easy. I can get it out without pulling cover off, not as easy.

Either way, because twins

Users who are viewing this thread