FRPP N/A 5.0L Cobra Jet Intake Manifold

F8L SN8K

Established Member
But mine is a drag car in search of ultimate performance not 100,000mile plus of trouble free with zero maintenance operation. I'm not recommending everyone goes out there and spin theirs to 9,500 lol.

Last edited:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
But mine car is a drag car in search of ultimate performance not 100,000mile plus of trouble free with zero maintenance operation. I'm not recommending everyone goes out there and spin theirs to 9,500 lol.

I don't even know what chassis you have. I was responding indirectly to your post to let others (specifically coyote owners) know that an upgraded valvetrain would also be recommended with this manifold to really see the benefit.

And if you're going to upgrade the valvetrain, then you may as well upgrade to the higher lift, higher duration boss 302r cams and long tube headers. I think this combo will prove to be the best performing "bolt on" set up for these engines.

Running the numbers:
LT headers ~30 hp (over stock headers)
Boss 302r cams ~20 hp over the standard Boss cams (per the Cobra Jet article)
CJ manifold ~20 hp over Boss manifold (per the Cobra Jet article)
Final gains with a tune????? I hope MM&FF does a write up on this combination...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
As for the strut tower brace. I've seen it all argued all sorts of ways. Even Ford can't seem to make up their minds if it's required or not lol. Some years it's there some years it's not back and forth. The other thing to think about is long term the flexing of thee strut towers with and with-out the brace. Does the extra flex make a significant difference in the car 5-10-15-20 years later. Does that matter to you if it does?
i only need two examples to tell me how much of a difference a strut tower brace will make on the S197 cars;
the boss 302R race car
and the '11+ shelby GT500
the first is ford's premier road racing mustang, that's pulling high lateral Gs and hitting curbs HARD to maximize corner speeds. the other is the most nose heavy mustang with ~56% of the car's weight on the front end, and it's supposed to be able to carve corners pretty good too(especially that '13!). neither of these have strut tower braces, which tells me that the strut towers don't flex enough to cause a measurable performance loss when cornering, and that long term durability isn't an issue if the most nose heavy model doesn't come equipped with one. if those two examples don't tell you something...!

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
i only need two examples to tell me how much of a difference a strut tower brace will make on the S197 cars;
the boss 302R race car
and the '11+ shelby GT500
the first is ford's premier road racing mustang, that's pulling high lateral Gs and hitting curbs HARD to maximize corner speeds. the other is the most nose heavy mustang with ~56% of the car's weight on the front end, and it's supposed to be able to carve corners pretty good too(especially that '13!). neither of these have strut tower braces, which tells me that the strut towers don't flex enough to cause a measurable performance loss when cornering, and that long term durability isn't an issue if the most nose heavy model doesn't come equipped with one. if those two examples don't tell you something...!
If you look closely at the pic I posted, it appears there is a bar extending from the fire wall to the passenger side strut tower...presumably this is an extension from the interior cage.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
BnD
Although this intake will make more power then the Boss it is certainly geared to the more extreme crowd. People interested in this intake will be generally sporting upgraded springs, ported heads, upgraded shortblock etc. Its for people looking to do more then what most of the bolt on crowd. It is certainly a racier intake system. Not saying that it's an intake that can't be used on the street. But it's not particular designed for a stock long block car.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
BnD
Although this intake will make more power then the Boss it is certainly geared to the more extreme crowd. People interested in this intake will be generally sporting upgraded springs, ported heads, upgraded shortblock etc. Its for people looking to do more then what most of the bolt on crowd. It is certainly a racier intake system. Not saying that it's an intake that can't be used on the street. But it's not particular designed for a stock long block car.

While I agree it's "racier" (whatever that means) I haven't read anything to support the assertion that "it's for the more extreme crowd." Its not like it's a double plenum manifold or has individual throttle bodies...it's simply a natural evolution of the boss manifold with shorter fatter runners (like the boss manifold is the evolution of the coyote manifold due to its shorter fatter runners).

If Ford engineers had more time to work out the kinks, the CJ manifold might very well have come stock on the Boss...but then the engineers would have had to make something even better for the CJ and people would have asserted that THAT manifold was therefore "racier" and "more extremel."

It's well known that the original plan was for the boss to spin to 9000 rpm and was supposed to come stock with long tube headers as well as with what we now call the boss 302r cams (designed to work with LT headers)...so there no reason to belive that the CJ manifold might not have come stock on the boss if all the stars aligned and the green light was given for the headers and r cams. I believe it just took more time to develop the CJ manifold than was available during the development of the boss.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Is it a pure racing only application manifold? No it is not. FRPP is not in that business. This is an evolution of the intake that was deemed required to meet the power goals of the CJ NA program. It has been extended out to the Boss302sx also to bump up the power on those models. This intake is not just a Boss302 with a different TB opening.

Some do not realize how fortunate that this intake has made its way to the general public. This intake is a serious piece and very fortunate that its been mass produced to get the price this low. It's not for everyone as the Boss intake is a great piece and is $500 cheaper even without the 700$ TB required or inlet system. It's for the guys wanting to take their combos to the next level. The 5.0 has had a great resurgence in people wanting to make their HP NA. There was enough interest that FRPP decided to offer this intake to the masses. I'm so glad that they did as we are going to see some pretty healthy hp numbers out there.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Now just give me a streetable tranny that I can powershift at 8000 rpm....

Ya I know, dead horse.... ;)

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Come on Bob you can drive any stick car with the best of them. IIRC you were hurting plenty of people's feelings when you drove your T45 to the track and unleashed all sorts of havoc.

However, I know you're right.

A performance car just isn't any fun with an automatic. Yuck!!

Manual trans for life!

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Along with this must have intake with an appropriate 1900+cfm TB (great, 1900cfm that was twin dominator carburetors normally).. I did read that the oil pan was also required to free up HP. F8L did you have any experience with that super deep sump pan? would that work in a street car?

Also, do you have any pics of your motor build or other goodies?

Thanks!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Best advice for oiling system if your wanting to spin the motor higher then 8k. Use the melling/FRPP oil pump and do NOT use a fine mesh screen. It becomes a restriction when you're sucking that volume of oil. The oil will be clean lol but won't make it to where it needs to go sufficiently. A coarse screen is better. The 5.4s oil pump would push oil out of the front cover at above 8,500. I haven't seen/heard issues with the 5.0 yet. But everyone is still learning about these engines. The standard cobra jet pan is the Boss 302R pan. You won't have any issues with it. It's fantastically engineered. It's pricey by some people's standards for "just an oil pan".

As for my build I will be doing a full write up on the entire build. Each step of the process will be documented and detailed. From pick up,chassis build, paint, suspension, engine, transmission/clutch detail, testing, racing and even maintenance of the car. Do to the racing program nature there may be a few items that can't be detailed to a T but I plan on sharing the vast majority of it. I will have several places that will have information as well as some that will detail everything in its entirety. I plan to get the whole "follow along as we build" series kicked off around one week after the US nationals in Indy. We plan to do Facebook, twitter, a few forums I frequent, own website as well has submitting to a few magazines. It's going to be fun and a whole lot of work! But hopefully we will gain some friends, teach, learn and gain some attention for our little program.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Neat! Looking forward to keeping up with your progress! I always wanted to run NHRA Stock Eliminator, but just too much investment in money and time needed to be competitive.

I wish you luck!
Bob

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Thank you Bob

Yes it's certainly going to be a large investment of time and a steep learning curve. I am very lucky to be able to call great group of people friends. This is such a huge undertaking that I could not pull it off on my own. These guys would give anyone the shirt off their back. Each has talent for the interagal piece of a complicated puzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread