Front Plate On

terminatd

Established Member
Easy mount no drilling $10.00 in parts, I used an aluminum L bracket. It can be removed easy-15 seconds. We have cops and roadblocks around here and it was a matter of time. It sits 3" from the heat exchanger with airflow on all four sides of the plate. I don't think airflow will be a problem unless the car is driven very hard. It doesn't get too hot around here either. I'll test it.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I wonder how much it's going to affect the airflow for the intercooler/radiator. I used the bracket that came from the factory. The cops around here are anal about it and will use it as an excuse to pull you over, hassle you, and give you a ticket.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I went 4 years without a plate on my Mustang GT. Got pulled over one time and put it on and got the car inspected then drove down the road from the police station and took it off again :) There's no way I'm drilling holes in my bumper. When I get pulled over I'll do something like that so I can get it inspected.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I used a similar aluminum "L" and mounted to heat exchanger bolts and then used some more aluminum and made larger "L" bends so that my plate is up in front of bumper, to those I mounted the factory plateholder. I didnt want to block my heat exchanger.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Pennsylvania and Florida are awesome. NO emission laws, and NO front plates. Plus, in Florida, you can tint your windows as dark as you want.

-Homer

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
terminated or cavemann, any details or pics on how you arranged the brackets? Any help would be appreciated:D

terminatd

Established Member
caveman6666

I had planned this plate mount for a while but when I saw a roadside check by cops and vehicle inspectors and your plate done (in another thread) I thought that I better get it on. Did you notice any airflow problems? I think we will benefit from the venturi effect, by restricting airflow the airspeed increases, creating a cooling effect which is good for 10 hp. Or, dilithium crystals will form on the heat exchanger.:eek:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
terminated or cavemann, any details or pics on how you arranged the brackets? Any help would be appreciated:D
All ya have to do is look down by the heat exchanger. One either end there is 2 screws. I simply took a peice of "L", measure it so just a tad past the outside screws, cut it to length. Then hold it in place and mark locations for the screws and drill some holes. Revove the 4 screws and mount the "L" channel. From there just mount your bracket to it.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
All ya have to do is look down by the heat exchanger. One either end there is 2 screws. I simply took a peice of "L", measure it so just a tad past the outside screws, cut it to length. Then hold it in place and mark locations for the screws and drill some holes. Revove the 4 screws and mount the "L" channel. From there just mount your bracket to it.

Exactly what I did, though mine is drilled angle iron and I used spacers to move the plate as far forward as possible. I've also drilled the plate itself full of holes for more airflow. Probably technically a violation, but WTF. :beer:

Friendchicken

I believe you can drill out ventallation holes in the plate as long as the plate # is still very readable. Heck, you can drill out 50% of your plate that way if you painted the IC white behind the plate.

NewGuy

I am afraid that I have do something like this. I was pulled over on Saturday for not having the front plate on and was given a ticket. I said I'd never do it, but I just don't want to give them any more reasons, other than a bad-a$$ lookin' car, to pull me over. :cryying:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Nice setup guys! Here in Cali we have the same stupid law. I just ignore it. Thank God, I havn't been pulled over for it though. I've never seen a road side inspection for front plates. I don't hang out at drag races or anything so I don't have to worry about getting hassled over every little technicality on my car.

terminatd

Established Member
OK here is what I did, although there are many other valid ways to do this.

Purchase an aluminum L bracket 1/2" by 3/4" by 36" long.
Cut at 27", I used the 9" remaining piece.

Drill holes in the fat side 3/4" of the L bracket as per pic or measure from your car and mark.
Drill holes in the 9" L bracket on the fat side. I used this piece to move the plate out from the exchanger. I also used some large rubber (outdoor electrical box seals) behind for support. Reverse the 9" bracket and offset slightly to form a ridgid box. see pic
Bolt it up to plate w stainless nuts and bolts.
Remove 4 heat exchanger screws, place in and bolt up. I just remove the plate from the bracket when I want to be sans plate.
Tip: when removing heat exchanger screws push the bumper lip back with your hand to avoid scratching it.
Hope this makes sense. It is very easy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the info. A lot of people in CT still don't mount their front plates, but it is just a matter of time of course. This is by far the nicest looking setup I've seen. :p

Users who are viewing this thread