Freeze warning- it's that time of year.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
PLEASE- If you live in North America and will be storing or driving a track car or a car with an air to water intercooler that usually does NOT run antifreeze in it ADD ANTIFREEZE for the winter!

Most track use cars don't normally run antifreeze and in warmer climates a lot of people wouldn't think of draining the systems or adding antifreeze.

Draining the system is not nearly as good as refilling with a 50/50 antifreeze mix as it can allow seals and gaskets to dry out over the winter.

I had multiple owners of 2003-2004 Cobras run into this last year when they had unusual cold spells into the deep South and many had their intercoolers crack and then leak into their engines when they thawed.

Even if you live in a relatively warm climate all it takes is one or two days of temps in the 30's to freeze and ruin an engine, intercooler and heat exchanger.

Virtually every guy that this happened to last year was caught unaware and a lot of Southern guys don't really even comprehend the damage that ice can do because they don't usually see the results.

Please consider this a public service announcement.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Was wondering when someone would mention/Warn Us!
Thanks Steve, I need to add a little comfort measure coolant here as well!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't messed with my cooling system, still have the gold stuff in it. Storage is getting very close.

2003cobraguy

Established Member
got 50/50 in mine already :)

can be BITTER here in NY during the winter, but she stays in a pretty warm garage regardless :D

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Yep! dropped to 28 or 29 last night for the first time....funny, weather man said 70-75 Sat.....LOL! O'well, that's STL for ya!!

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Thanks Steve for the warning. I just put mine in winter storage today. I haven't messed with the cooling system but I checked everything to make sure. I have a 50/50 mix.

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
if you have 7 year old coolant (hell even 2 year old) make sure you check the coolant with a tester, the tester will tell you what temp it is still safe to. In Detroit I do this every year on everything I own that runs coolant!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
50/50 is best and easiest, lots of stores even sell 50/50 premix.

Ok, I recently purchased mine and I got it from wisconsin. Car now has 22k on it. Coolant looks factory but I may get a tester to see.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Ttt because this is as good a thread as any you'll find. Nice post Steve.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree Brian, this is one of those threads that will surely help out a lot of people. One of those areas that many neglect.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Just took an order on a Lightning intercooler for a truck in West Virginia that froze and cracked.

Watch out for this guys, it's an $850.00 intercooler on a Lightning and $660.00 for a Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread