Fore vents+FL sun = IC res-->BOOM:) - long read

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Not a rant, but a "discovery":coolman: and a little advice for my fellow SVTP'ers!

I bought my Cobra and it already had FPW hood vents in it (they rock) and they look awesome. They work ridiculously well at extracting heat and they look/fit great. Many people worry about rain or water getting in the hood and i can tell you after 14xxx miles in FL rain and sun, the rain is no worry.

Now the sun...well, that is another story. I DD my Cobra, so it sits in a sunny parking lot 10 hours a day, but she gets all the right treatment. Washes, waxes, leather conditioner, etc. Engine gets cleaned monthly, too, so I always am up on what looks good and what looks sketchy under the hood.

Well - on my way to VMP on Tuesday to get tuned, make it 5 miles from the house and white steam comes pouring out the right vent! I pop it out of gear and the steam turns to a pissing stream of antifreeze out of the vent right onto the hood. I pop the hood and it is just squirting out of the intercooler reservior. It finally stops, so I turn the car around and head home. I call Justin (good man) and take care of letting him know I'll be delayed. Then I get I get on the phone with the local stealerships to see if they have one in stock (yeah...right). No luck...and they all want $250 (except Tousley - ~$170, but even they would have to get from a distributor).

Next up, the aftermarket - Lethal - they are S. FL - I am N. FL...I need to catch a break...and you know Lethal will deliver and they do. Overnighted a Canton (would have liked one of their oversized ones, but for double the cost of the Canton...and I am already trying to pay for a pulley and tune right now:beer:), it wasn't happening.

And since I try to keep my underhood looing sharp, but not shiny, out came the red "anodizing" paint. Made it look better than the raw aluminum, got it installed, and checked everything out (IC pump pumping, no leakes, topped off the res). Looking at the busted IC res, it reminds me of when my kids leave their plastic toys outsied too long...all oxidized and brittle. So I go backout to the garage and sure as sh!t, the IC res is right in the line of light thru the hood vent, but only the upper left corner...the same corner that is brittle and oxidized on my plastic IC res.:loser:

Sooo....way long story short, if you DD your cars with open hood vents, keep an eye on your IC res and when it starts to look like mine, get an aluminum one, else you get stranded like me:rockon:.

Props to VMP, Lethal, Tousley (for answering the phone and an ungodly CDT time), and FedEx - for when it absolutely, positively HAS to be there overnight:-D.

IC res
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

New IC res thru hood
DSC_0021.jpg

Gratuitous motor shot:rockon:
DSC_0012.jpg

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
never thought of a coolant reservoir as eye candy :thumbsup: but you did it :-D

I have the same hood vents, but have the over sized canton reservoir :)

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hmm. I think someone used a magnifying glass to sabotage your snake.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
hmmmm....i DD my cobra as well, and she also sits out in the sun in a parking lot all day while im at work. im still have the stock hood vents, and i left the flaps that allowsyou to close the vents alone, so they are still there. seems like a pain, but i guess i will need to start closing the vents while its sitting at work....im not really trying to have my stock plastic pos IC res melt in the hot oklahoma sun.

thanks for the info

JymBart

Established Member
Thanks for the post, . some good info there, .... glad you got things worked out.
JymBart

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
that red anodized reservoir now makes the rest of the engine compartment look like crap...lol

oldmodman

Established Member
A lot of plastics get very brittle when exposed to ultraviolet (sunlight) light.
But I never thought that enough would get through the hood vents. That's something to keep in mind.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i just changed my i/c res to the oversized canton. going down the track at the top of 4th gear it would spray coolant through the vent and onto my windshield. i swapped them out yesterday and sure enough my stock res was very brittle and was losing the war against the hot vegas sun. only thing is i have the STOCK hood vents and the sun still destroyed my res.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
never thought of a coolant reservoir as eye candy :thumbsup: but you did it :-D

I have the same hood vents, but have the over sized canton reservoir :)

Thanks...there are some pretty cool high temp paints out there nowadays.

that red anodized reservoir now makes the rest of the engine compartment look like crap...lol

from all that damn antifreeze that sprayed everywhere...j/k

Hmmmm, that looks really good. You think the sun beating on it caused that?

Pretty sure of it...it is only on the corner that gets direct sunlight exposure.

Good info, are you parking in a different spot?

Our old office had a parking garage...those were the days.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
i must admit, when i read " red anodized" i thought aww gross, why? but that tank looks really sharp, its a good match and its not just another bare aluminum Res, looks good man.

mysterio

Established Member
Excellent write up, thanks. I have the same Fore vents, so will have to watch out.

Luckily, mine's not a DD, and stays covered a lot, but this will inspire me to keep my eye on the IC res.

And add one more damn thing to a growing list of desired mods. Grrr. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread