Fore vents+FL sun = IC res-->BOOM:) - long read

venom04svt

Established Member
Heat and sun will play hell on plastics, I had the canton resi on mine when i bought it along with there radiator one as well..i pulled the small one off for the larger one that goes where the battery was....getting all aluminum resi's really dresses up the engine bay and its a great PIECE OF MIND!

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member

Great thread!
Very interesting. I have never heard of anything like that happening. '
Glad that you saw the issue fast.

BTW, The IC Res looks great thru the Hood Vents!

:rockon:

New IC res thru hood
DSC_0021.jpg

cobra4v04

Established Member
Wish I had seen this post a year ago, although it might have been too late at that point anyways.

I put these vents on my Cobra 4 or 5 years ago and at that time my only concern was that they would invite someone to vandalize your car by shoving something through the open vents and ripping a hose or something, or trying to bust the IC res. or Radiator tank, the vents are that large. You can nearly take the IC res. cap off through the Passenger vent.

My car has 33,000 miles so it doesn't get driven much. It stayed outside in a fairly shaded lot for about 6 months but that was nearly four years ago. Been in a garage mostly ever since then, might sit in the driveway for a week or so every couple months. I noticed about a month ago when I drove it that I had a very slight mist on my windshield on the passenger side after a hard acceleration, I chalked it up to a sprinkler spray from the area I was in at the time. I had planned on washing the car at that time anyway so if it was IC fluid it was washed off without drawing any attention. I had filled up with gas around that time and had done the quick check of fluids while at the gas station and everything looked fine. It happened again about two weeks ago after getting on it and I knew that it was too much of a coincidence so I checked under the hood when I got home and there was not anything that stood out, no signs of leaks or spray anywhere, there was a very fine film of IC fluid right at the sloped corner of the tank but after wiping it clean there was no sign of any obvious crack. However when I put my index finger in the tank and pushed up on the sloped area from the inside my finger nearly went through the tank, it was that deteoriated.

At least the Radiator overflow tank has a black top, or else the same thing would happen on that side as the sun beat down through the drivers side vent. I wanted to call the Ford parts guy a lunatic when he told me the IC tank lists for $254 but that I could get it for $185 with my fleet parts discount.

I'm looking at a tank that some guy custom makes out of stainless that is the same dimensions as the LFP tank. Can't see putting that plastic tank back on at that price.
Of course the benefit of the plastic tank is you can visually see the level.

If anything I'm mad at myself for not anticipating this issue as the IC tank is clearly subject to direct sunlight. Hopefully others see these posts, not sure what you could do other than covering the top of the tank with something to limit the UV exposure but that would probably look like crap.

SVTDice

Established Member
Luckily I have Both a aftermarket I/C and Engine Coolant Res. Both Non plastic! :banana: But thanks for the heads up and good read. You ever going to plan to do a aftermarket coolant res to compliment that I/C One?

Looks good by the way!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I am sorry......

but thank you for the write up and heads up. What I take away from this thread is make mental note to keep an eye on it. Could be a trouble spot down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread