Ford to lower prices on GT500?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
I was watching the news this morning, and analysts were talking about how Ford could possibly be lowering the price of the GT500 from its expected $40,000 price tag, because initial pre orders were not what Ford ancipated, due to a few factors:

1)Initial orders were of much higher numbers, than customers actually willing to put a deposit down on the GT500, when they became available to order through the dealerships recently. It seems many customers felt the car did not meet their initial expectations and are unwilling to buy the car without first seeing it in person.

2) Supposedly, many customers have lost interest in the car, because of dealerships trying to overcharge and take advantage of customers.

2) Insurance costs are expected to be very high, so many customers may be playing a waiting game, and want to see what the actual costs are before plunking down a deposit.

3) A stiff gaz guzzler tax penalty will be applied to the cars. This means both paying a tax, and also paying out increased gas costs for the car.

4) Expected competition from Both Chrysler, in the form of a Hemi Challenger and Chevrolet's upcoming ZL1 Camaro, may also impact demand.

5) Many collectors thought the car was going to be limited edition, which led to alot of hype.. After learning the car was going to be "built to meet demand"(according to Ford), many collectors have shyed away from pre-ordering the car.

Last edited:

stangsx2

Established Member
Dealers are uping the price. My wife is a service writer at Avis Ford Southfield Mi and there talking 10000.00 to 15000.00 over list.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Purvis said:
I was watching the news this morning, and analysts were talking about how Ford could possibly be lowering the price of the GT500 from its expected $40,000 price tag, because initial pre orders were not what Ford ancipated, due to a few factors:

1)Initial orders were of much higher numbers, than customers actually willing to put a deposit down on the GT500, when they became available to order through the dealerships recently. It seams many customers felt the car did not meet their initial expectations and are unwilling to buy the car without first seeing it in person.

2) Supposedly, many customers have lost interest in the car, because of dealerships trying to overcharge and take advantage of customers.

2) Insurance costs are expected to be very high, so many customers may be playing a waiting game, and want to see what the actual costs are before plunking down a deposit.

3) A stiff gaz guzzler tax penalty will be applied to the cars. This means both paying a tax, and also paying out increased gas costs for the car.

4) Expected competition from Both Chrysler, in the form of a Hemi Challenger and Chevrolet's upcoming ZL1 Camaro, may also impact demand.

5) Many collectors thought the car was going to be limited edition, which led to alot of hype.. After learning the car was going to be "built to meet demand"(according to Ford), many collectors have shyed away from pre-ordering the car.

Where did you see this? I'd like to Google it and read the transcript.

Thanks.

bj :thumbsup:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
What ZL1 Camaro?
Not only hasn't GM committed to building a car based off the Camaro concept, but a "ZL1" model is internet rumor.

It'll be interesting to see what happens later this year. This hype is similar to that surrounding the C6 Z06 and the '03 Cobra a few years ago. Supply will eventually catch demand. A large portion of "dreamers" will drop out of the market, and at some point, these cars will be sitting on dealer lots with banners draped over their windshields.
S.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
It isn't that the car isn't priced it is that Ford hasn't set the exact price due to some of teh reasons listed above.

After talking with several dealerships I have found that alot of them really don't want the hassel of the car if it is going to be a game of marking up and then waiting to sell it. Most dealers want to put the car out and as soon as it is there get rid of it. At several Ford dealerships I visited this weekend they told me this to a T, they were only interested in possibly a 5000 Mark up on the car but that would last for 1-2 weeks and then if it didn't sell it was going to be invoice. Ford has told them the reason why they haven't set a hard price yet is because they haven't gotten the official final numbes of the car and they don't want to set a price before people know exactly what they are getting.

Purvis is right though, while standing and talking to the manager of the dealerships he had a salesman come up to him shaking his head saying that another person had called about the Shelby and cancelled. When he called the next person on the list they either didn't answer or told him they were going to wait and see. Kinda Ironic....I guess the hype is what is scaring alot of people off, we may get luck and be able to buy the car for close to what some of the Convertable 03-04 Cobras went for or maybe less.

jshen

Established Member
I was/am hoping the rear end gear change would get it through w/o a gas guzzler tax.... :shrug:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
jshen said:
I was/am hoping the rear end gear change would get it through w/o a gas guzzler tax.... :shrug:

It's already wearing a 3.31 final. Unless they've changed some of the internals of the tranny, the low 3's are about all you'd want. Anything higher and straight line performance (and the ooomph you're paying 40K for) would be diminished. Now...if they sold it with a 2.73 to get the mileage up, but included a 3.31 ring and labor to install it in the price.....nevermind, I was having an out of body and mind experience.

bj

CaDDy

Banned
Whitten said:
It isn't that the car isn't priced it is that Ford hasn't set the exact price due to some of teh reasons listed above.

After talking with several dealerships I have found that alot of them really don't want the hassel of the car if it is going to be a game of marking up and then waiting to sell it. Most dealers want to put the car out and as soon as it is there get rid of it. At several Ford dealerships I visited this weekend they told me this to a T, they were only interested in possibly a 5000 Mark up on the car but that would last for 1-2 weeks and then if it didn't sell it was going to be invoice. Ford has told them the reason why they haven't set a hard price yet is because they haven't gotten the official final numbes of the car and they don't want to set a price before people know exactly what they are getting.

Purvis is right though, while standing and talking to the manager of the dealerships he had a salesman come up to him shaking his head saying that another person had called about the Shelby and cancelled. When he called the next person on the list they either didn't answer or told him they were going to wait and see. Kinda Ironic....I guess the hype is what is scaring alot of people off, we may get luck and be able to buy the car for close to what some of the Convertable 03-04 Cobras went for or maybe less.

While all of this is good (From the consumers P.O.V.) I hope Ford doesnt choose to build less cars b/c people are dropping from the lists, due to price gouging dealerships.

What i highlighted above is something ALL dealerships should have realized from the moment the GT500 was announced. You cant expect the average working man to pay 40-42K for a hopped-up Mustang, let alone an added 10K markup. I will happily wait until late '08-early '09 to pick up my GT500@MSRP when all the hype dies down.

F8L SNK

Established Member
This is only going to take money from Ford. The dealers will try to make up every bit of the difference if Ford lowers it price. I went to a local dealer here in Houston today. I was quoted the selling price would be $40,000 and the dealer mark up will also be $40,000. I asked for clarification, and was told that they would only be receiving 3 GT 500's and 2 of them are sold. They told me that the final one will be $80,000, and was also told the first two went for similar prices. I guess only GT 500's on the lot will give us the true answer to what they will sell for, but for $80,000 I will not buy a Mustang.

jean

Established Member
Sale price around $ 43 000 + mark up from the dealership.Receive a letter from my dealership saying was interesting to buy my 03 cobra .

WhistlePig

Bedroom Gangsta
Established Member
jean said:
Sale price around $ 43 000 + mark up from the dealership.Receive a letter from my dealership saying was interesting to buy my 03 cobra .

They do that all the time. A dealer in my area sent me a letter stating that he wanted to buy my F-150 I sold about 2 years ago :bored: . Its just a ploy to get you in the dealership.

Anyway. The GT-500 hype is getting way out of hand. Top dollar on this thing should be 40-43k. People, especially dealers, loooove to circulate rumors to make it seem like the GT-500 is some ultra-limited car. By this time next year there will be GT-500s on lots with dealers begging for MSRP.

xbolt68stang

09 GT500
Established Member
Never got on a list and will not get on a list. I'm not as excited about the car as I once was with all the changes. I am one of those "wait and see" folks now. I've always been a mustang fan but the thought of being gouged when I've been a loyal Ford purchaser really irks me. I've got a couple of Fords in the driveway right now. Should I decide to get the GT500 and can't get it for MSRP than I'll likely never purchase another Ford. The wife has an expedition due to come of lease next year. No MSRP, then I'll just be dropping of the Expedition and get a Toyota SUV for her and a C6 Z06 for me. Never owned a vette. It just might be time to get one.

chuckstang

Established Member
xbolt68stang said:
Never got on a list and will not get on a list. I'm not as excited about the car as I once was with all the changes. I am one of those "wait and see" folks now. I've always been a mustang fan but the thought of being gouged when I've been a loyal Ford purchaser really irks me. I've got a couple of Fords in the driveway right now. Should I decide to get the GT500 and can't get it for MSRP than I'll likely never purchase another Ford. The wife has an expedition due to come of lease next year. No MSRP, then I'll just be dropping of the Expedition and get a Toyota SUV for her and a C6 Z06 for me. Never owned a vette. It just might be time to get one.

I agree with you but I think that if you end up with a z06 or toyota, it is because you wanted it and not because Ford was not loyal to you. They are are not your friend. Dont ever confuse friendship with business
they owe you nothing

Requis

Established Member
..I understand where your going with this statment in terms of the business approach.

But I would disagree. FORD Motor company owes its customers a fair market value for the vehicle which is why they even set an MSRP. They define what they feel the cars costs them, what it costs their dealers and what it should be sold for to the consumer.

Anything more is gouging..supply and demand being what they are changes the rules, which if I read correctly in the fist post is the gist of reversal of fortunes that there will be lots of GT 500's on the lots across the US. ( I personally don't think so) That car is awesome!

#2 On a list - in Canada MSRP counts - so I guess I'm paying list price.

Cheers,

Requis

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Who would'nt choose a Z06 over the GT500?, you gotta be kidding me. Charging even 5k over sticker is a joke on a Mustang. I might get a 500 for 36k a year out, but even at that price the vette starts getting interesting. I laughed at the 3k over sticker when the '03's came out at my local dealer, 12 months later I bought one from them at 6k under sticker. Period.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Snorman said:
What ZL1 Camaro?
Not only hasn't GM committed to building a car based off the Camaro concept, but a "ZL1" model is internet rumor.

It'll be interesting to see what happens later this year. This hype is similar to that surrounding the C6 Z06 and the '03 Cobra a few years ago. Supply will eventually catch demand. A large portion of "dreamers" will drop out of the market, and at some point, these cars will be sitting on dealer lots with banners draped over their windshields.
S.

I couldn't have said it better. :beer:

xbolt68stang

09 GT500
Established Member
chuckstang said:
I agree with you but I think that if you end up with a z06 or toyota, it is because you wanted it and not because Ford was not loyal to you. They are are not your friend. Dont ever confuse friendship with business
they owe you nothing

You mean to tell me that since my last 5 new car purchases were Fords that they owe me nothing? With all the problems at Ford they should be working harder to keep loyal customers. Ford is right behind GM in the boring department. They're not doing to well with new customers either, especially the young crowd. The Japanese automakers are designing affordable low entry tunable cars for the young crowd. This young crowd will grow up someday and guess what they'll buy? A Lexus, Infiniti, etc. I could go on and on about this....later.

mrGT

Established Member
xbolt68stang said:
You mean to tell me that since my last 5 new car purchases were Fords that they owe me nothing? With all the problems at Ford they should be working harder to keep loyal customers. Ford is right behind GM in the boring department. They're not doing to well with new customers either, especially the young crowd. The Japanese automakers are designing affordable low entry tunable cars for the young crowd. This young crowd will grow up someday and guess what they'll buy? A Lexus, Infiniti, etc. I could go on and on about this....later.
I agree with your philosophy, but I do believe that Chuckstang is telling you what the real world is....dealer friendship and business do not mix. Take your example of 5 cars. If you bought 5 cars every year, you'd probably get preferential treatment...but if you bought a new car every 3 years over the last 15 years, you are not really a friend, you're a business opportunity. I often wonder how many customers pass thru a dealerships doors in a year? With every one of those customers expecting to be #1 to the dealership. I'm sure when one is buying, you get the salesperson's undivided attention...while you're in their presence any way. But sooner or later, the truth will come out and you will find that one of many.

I also agree with your assessment on the Lexus, Infiniti, and their other siblings...but I don't think they are getting the customers because someone is pissed off at Ford or GM....when you hear those names, quality and J.D. Powers come to mind. Those guys had to fight their way to that position, while the American car manufacturers were sitting on their butts thinking they had the car world by the tail. Keep on eye on the Hyundi and Kia they're taking a similar path of the Toyotas and Nissans.

Users who are viewing this thread