Ford Mustang GT3 Testing | Ford Performance

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Someone on this forum, a few months back, provided a surprisingly confident and clear post describing a genuine second generation Voodoo FPC engine with somewhere between 550 and 600 HP.

Now, the video above makes it clear that Ford sees the Mustang GT3 race car as a promotional item to sell Mustangs, something the Ford GT couldn't do because it wasn't branded as a Mustang. So, the next car from FP might just be a street version Mustang GT3 with a more powerful Voodoo. I'd be interested in that if it happens.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Media reports have said 5.4 liters which doesn't make sense given bore centers. It'll be nice when legitimate details are presented to the public.

Cast block maybe? They never did release that werewolf block iirc, maybe variant of that. What about new incarnation of the “cammer” with a revised piston with shorter compression height and block clearancing to increase stroke?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My guess would be an aluminum casting we haven't seen before. Optimized for strength and oiling improvements that might eventually be a FR part. I think along the lines of what you mentioned about stroke being tweaked. However it is going to be done, it is going to have to be extremely robust. What shocks me is that Roush Yates isn't doing it but rather "M-Sport." I'd love to know who made that decision and why.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
What happened to all the rumors of the 6.8? That’d be killer for a road course car, big bore/short stroke and still have cubic inches… 5.8 all over again.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Interesting how the times, classes, rule changes and evolution occur. This sure seems like project silver dusted off. Project silver was scrapped, because at the time, it was thought it would not be competitive at LeMans (for the 50th effort for 2016). From the "ashes" of that, then came project Phoenix, which was the Ford GT, and we know how that worked out.

Seems like it must have a torque tube with a rear transaxle. After seeing the FGT suspension that Ford / Multimatic did, curious what a "bespoke" long short suspension looks like.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I know that M-Sport has experience in this realm as well as some history with Ford. Regardless, why wouldn't Roush-Yates be handling the engine portion of the program? Was there a contract that was bid on? I'd love to hear an answer to that.

And it has been reported that the race GT3 car will utilize a transaxle out back. Gives me a tiny bit of hope that the street version could follow suit (I know it is very unlikely but whatevs) and utilize a DCT variant of the C8 unit. This would require some of the architectural rear suspension changes that the race version would be using, generally speaking. Considering the street version may be using the race version SLA up front - who knows, why not go further out back as well?

Corvette_C8_DCT.jpg

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I know that M-Sport has experience in this realm as well as some history with Ford. Regardless, why wouldn't Roush-Yates be handling the engine portion of the program? Was there a contract that was bid on? I'd love to hear an answer to that.

And it has been reported that the race GT3 car will utilize a transaxle out back. Gives me a tiny bit of hope that the street version could follow suit (I know it is very unlikely but whatevs) and utilize a DCT variant of the C8 unit. This would require some of the architectural rear suspension changes that the race version would be using, generally speaking. Considering the street version may be using the race version SLA up front - who knows, why not go further out back as well?

View attachment 1797456

Don't be ruining my hopes of a 6M with your C8 DCT talk. **** that.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If it matters, I'm already told that Tremec has been working on a DCT for the street car. Just don't know how far Ford is taking it. And based on recent history, I don't see a manual and a DCT...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

View attachment 1797456
That looks extremely expensive.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
What happened to all the rumors of the 6.8? That’d be killer for a road course car, big bore/short stroke and still have cubic inches… 5.8 all over again.
Lol yeah let’s put a 6.8 in a mustang. Only fools believed that to be real. We’re lucky the Yote has not been killed off yet.

Users who are viewing this thread