Ford GM Stellantis UAW Strike

02reaper

Established Member
Well I was wrong and got sent home on strike at 11pm
I suppose I was too optimistic believing they were close on a tentative

Fwiw I thought ford was floating good offers… not enough for some I guess.

Hopefully it doesn’t last long.
So is the UAW giving you what they are asking from the BIG 3 while you're on strike?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Good thing I got my C8. Of course yesterday I toasted a spark plug wire, so parts are a concern too. $30 for a single plug wire…. Sorry to derail.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well I was wrong and got sent home on strike at 11pm
I suppose I was too optimistic believing they were close on a tentative

Fwiw I thought ford was floating good offers… not enough for some I guess.

Hopefully it doesn’t last long.

Thinking about you and your family, along with all of the other UAW members. I hope you guys get it figured out.

Honestly, I think it's pretty ****ed that Fain said he wouldn't begin negotiations until Monday. Members on strike won't receive their first $500 until midnight next Friday.

02reaper

Established Member
Thinking about you and your family, along with all of the other UAW members. I hope you guys get it figured out.

Honestly, I think it's pretty ****ed that Fain said he wouldn't begin negotiations until Monday. Members on strike won't receive their first $500 until midnight next Friday.
UAW is playing politics. Said they would strike all three, and they are, but they are doing targeted strikes. They are trying to keep their surplus of money from running out this way.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
UAW is playing politics. Said they would strike all three, and they are, but they are doing targeted strikes. They are trying to keep their surplus of money from running out this way.

Oh for sure.

What Fain should've done...

Strike the engine and transmission plants. Allow the other plants to continue, they'd have enough surplus for 10 days or so of work. At that point the manufacturers will be paying them 80% wages and they won't be working.

02reaper

Established Member
Oh for sure.

What Fain should've done...

Strike the engine and transmission plants. Allow the other plants to continue, they'd have enough surplus for 10 days or so of work. At that point the manufacturers will be paying them 80% wages and they won't be working.
I'm anti-union. Collective complacent union work isn’t good for anybody. the worker, business, the product, the consumer. all unionization does is guarantee a complacent worker that doesn’t have any motivation to perform better than the people next To them. It's all about money for the union. Are there ever any benefits in the contract for the businesses for these increases, such as better or more production, or higher quality of products for the money they are spending on these contracts?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hear that thought process. I think the union had its place years ago before it became as easy to litigate over bad working environments. Now, I think they serve less of a purpose.

I know tons of people that work at the KC F-150/Transit plant. There are some good workers that really care about what they do and take pride in it, then there are those that go to work to hangout and **** around.

Better wages/retirement should hopefully increase the number of people who take pride in their work, and decrease the need to hire the idiots.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I worked for a company with a pilot union. They would fly x amount of hours per day and sit around the pilot lounges and complain non stop for the remainder of the day and remind you daily what was in their contract. It was ridiculous. I say fire them all but I understand it's not that simple.

02reaper

Established Member
I hear that thought process. I think the union had its place years ago before it became as easy to litigate over bad working environments. Now, I think they serve less of a purpose.

I know tons of people that work at the KC F-150/Transit plant. There are some good workers that really care about what they do and take pride in it, then there are those that go to work to hangout and **** around.

Better wages/retirement should hopefully increase the number of people who take pride in their work, and decrease the need to hire the idiots.
Better pay and such doesn't always equal out to better output. A person must be willing to start at the bottom and work their way up, proving themselves. Most of todays workforce wants everything for very little or nothing in return on their part. The union allows for those that do to suffer beside those who don't either way. This kills the whole production by making people who do care getting fed up with a situation and moving on, leaving only those who are leaches to keep on leaching.

a10gobrrr

Established Member
Curious how non-unions like Tesla fare. They still have quality issues, but perhaps that's more of a non-human manufacturing process or materials used factor rather than a complacent line worker making $100k to sit on his/her phone all day.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
That'll never happen in a million years. The days of an employer being financially responsible for someone who hasn't worked for them in 10, 20...40 yrs are long gone.

Except for some Government jobs.

I hired a new guy in January and he is eligible for a full pension if does his time.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Did I ever make the argument that his pay should be cut and given to them?

You don't think a UAW worker is worth $70k, why should someone think he's worth $21M?

Plenty of other highly skilled and accomplished CEOs making a fraction of what he does.

Do you really think if Ford posted his job for $8M, they wouldn't be able to find anyone in this entire world as equally able to replace him... in about 5 minutes?

I do not like or support the UAW. I hate them almost as much as I hate Government Unions. I dealt with UAW Local 5 for 12 years. I'm aware of the bullshit and stupidity.

However, I do empathize (understand) with the workers. Since 2018 we've had hyper inflation while they've been locked in their stagnated wages. Vehicle prices have literally ****ing doubled and Ford premium products are getting +20k ADMs. Ford's getting 9 billion from the government and building $300k Hyper Mustangs while these guys can't even buy a Ford Focus anymore. They want a cut of this shit and keep up as well.

I personally do not like Jim Farley and the direction he has taken Ford.

Also, for context since everyone is crying about a 40% union raise.
Sally Struthers said it correctly: "Do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do."

The CEO or the person filling the machines in the break room wants as much as they can get. 21 million dollars is ridiculous and even more considering Ford comes begging the government for our money. $70k is more reasonable depending on what the individual does to earn that compensation of course. Speaking of the price of Ford vehicles, I'd imagine w/o a rebate plan (whatever it is called) the workers would be car poor paying for an F150 even with $70k. Even with a plan it has to be tough. With the exception of a few, most car companies have lost sensibility when it comes to price.

All of us know there are three sides to every story but it seems to me the large, well off company is always the first to cry poverty.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Curious how non-unions like Tesla fare. They still have quality issues, but perhaps that's more of a non-human manufacturing process or materials used factor rather than a complacent line worker making $100k to sit on his/her phone all day.
Go tour the Toyota plant Georgetown KY, then the Ford truck plant in Louisville, KY. Two COMPLETELY different environments. Like night and day different. Culture, attitudes, values, working relationships between salaried and hourly, etc. You'd have no idea that they are both in the exact same business.

I'll let you figure out which one is "better"

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You wonder if anyone at Ford, GM or Stellantis have run the numbers for worst case scenario. I.E. it would be cheaper to pull out of union states and relocate down South and bust the union. Almost none of their parts suppliers are still union. I mean, look at the stellar job the UAW did with Yellow.

Let's face it, if EV bans become reality, no way the legacy car makers survive against Tesla, KIA, Hyundai and the Chinese makes with those wage disparities.

a10gobrrr

Established Member
Go tour the Toyota plant Georgetown KY, then the Ford truck plant in Louisville, KY. Two COMPLETELY different environments. Like night and day different. Culture, attitudes, values, working relationships between salaried and hourly, etc. You'd have no idea that they are both in the exact same business.

I'll let you figure out which one is "better"
Ok hopping in the car and will report back asap

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
You wonder if anyone at Ford, GM or Stellantis have run the numbers for worst case scenario. I.E. it would be cheaper to pull out of union states and relocate down South and bust the union. Almost none of their parts suppliers are still union. I mean, look at the stellar job the UAW did with Yellow.

Let's face it, if EV bans become reality, no way the legacy car makers survive against Tesla, KIA, Hyundai and the Chinese makes with those wage disparities.

I don't think it would be that easy. They already have plants in the semi-south and they are organized. The collective missery and toxic relationships built over decades have forever linked them together and I think they are attached at the hip. The UAW would follow them to Alaska is that's where they relocated.

Users who are viewing this thread