Ford Focus RS confirmed

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I am confused.... Why are you comparing a 2011 to a likely 2016 Focus? That's the last generation STi.... The new one is much improved in every way and a much nicer car.
for ****'s sake, you missed the point entirely. THE POINT that i hope the focus RS is much quicker than the base V6 mustang, otherwise it will be a completely disappointing car with no real purpose.

and, regardless of what generation STI we're talking about, there is ZERO excuse for it - the highest performance offering from subaru - to be slower than the lowest performance model of the mustang.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
for ****'s sake, you missed the point entirely. THE POINT that i hope the focus RS is much quicker than the base V6 mustang, otherwise it will be a completely disappointing car with no real purpose.

and, regardless of what generation STI we're talking about, there is ZERO excuse for it - the highest performance offering from subaru - to be slower than the lowest performance model of the mustang.

Relax Francis :rolleyes

I obviously missed the point because I didn't understand what the **** you were trying to say.....

Lastly, how is there zero excuse for it? They both have the same HP and weigh within 200 pounds of each other.... Regardless who even cross-shops the two?

Also, I personally am hoping and would guess the new RS will have at minimum 320hp and AWD. It will top the performance of the old RS so my guess is both "conservative" and "predictable". Also, for those thinking it won't come in at aproximately the same price as an STi and think 35-40k is unreasonable, need to get their head out of their ass..... (to clarify not saying you said that Ry, just adding that from previous posts).

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
quite a few people cross shop mustangs and STIs - but the problem is the STI offers V6 performance at a loaded GT price. and it's the fact that the STI is subaru's 'halo' car, but only offers the level of performance of a spoiled bitch's sweet 16 present that they have zero excuse for. plenty of subaru fans are pissed about this, considering an '04 STI offers practically the same performance as the same model 10 years older.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I remember on Autoline Detroit an interview with someone from Ford who mentioned that AWD in the Focus wont happen due to weight.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If it is AWD I will be looking very closely at getting one!

But I doubt it will happen, so not getting my hopes up....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
quite a few people cross shop mustangs and STIs - but the problem is the STI offers V6 performance at a loaded GT price. and it's the fact that the STI is subaru's 'halo' car, but only offers the level of performance of a spoiled bitch's sweet 16 present that they have zero excuse for. plenty of subaru fans are pissed about this, considering an '04 STI offers practically the same performance as the same model 10 years older.

True but the STi has way more potential than a 6er, and will have far better resale value. Though id agree, an STi of 10 years ago being not that different as a new one has got to ruffle some jimmies. Hell the fact a WRX is almost on par with the STi is enough.

snakecharmer

Established Member
AWD and I am VERY interested in one as a commuter. FWD only and I'm out.

I am also crossing my fingers for different seats as the Recaros in the ST are uncomfortable.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
AWD and I am VERY interested in one as a commuter. FWD only and I'm out.

I am also crossing my fingers for different seats as the Recaros in the ST are uncomfortable.

ST has some of the best seats I've ever sat in. A friend of mine with a BMW 335 traded his in after a road trip in the ST Recaros.

10splaya22

Established Member
I really hope its AWD but I'm thinking its going to be FWD bs again. I really hope not so it has something major to differentiate it from the ST

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
i'm curious how quick it'll be on the track. i hope it's significantly faster than the STI... ...which isn't exactly faster than a 2011 V6 with a 114mph governor...

- the highest performance offering from subaru - to be slower than the lowest performance model of the mustang.

The highest performance offering from Subaru IS significantly faster than a 2011 V6 Mustang:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2014-complete-ll-times-2006-to-2014-feature
99 3:10.5 SUBARU WRX STI LL2 10/14
107 3:12.5 FORD MUSTANG V-6 LL1 2/11

ST has some of the best seats I've ever sat in. A friend of mine with a BMW 335 traded his in after a road trip in the ST Recaros.

I had a '13 ST1 specifically because they didn't have the Recaros, and was extremely disappointed you couldn't get the Premium Sound unless you had them (ST2 & ST3). It's one of the reasons why I no longer have it ...

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
True but the STi has way more potential than a 6er, and will have far better resale value. Though id agree, an STi of 10 years ago being not that different as a new one has got to ruffle some jimmies. Hell the fact a WRX is almost on par with the STi is enough.
but you're already paying an extra $10k just so you have the potential to put more money into it. i've always been a big STI fan, it's been a truly unique car in a time where that rarely exists, but it really is just an awful value today.

The highest performance offering from Subaru IS significantly faster than a 2011 V6 Mustang:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2014-complete-ll-times-2006-to-2014-feature
99 3:10.5 SUBARU WRX STI LL2 10/14
107 3:12.5 FORD MUSTANG V-6 LL1 2/11
wow, you're really going full ****in ricer here.

Let’s take a moment to talk about lap times. Consider the following: Last year, I set the fastest Spec Focus lap at the NASA National Championships at 1:45.620. At this year’s Champs, the best lap was 1:48.170, despite the fact that the Spec Focus rules now allow wider tires and lower suspension. Do you really think I’m two and a half seconds better than the best guy was this year, particularly considering that he was driving a better-equipped car? Of course not. Mid-Ohio was slow this year because it rained the day before and washed the rubber off the track, taking a couple of seconds off everybody’s lap. Consider, if you will, that on a track the length of the ‘Ring the equivalent rain-washing time gap would be nine and a half seconds. Lap times set on different days, under different conditions, simply aren’t comparable. It’s that simple. Some days are hot, some days are cool, some days there’s rubber on the track, some days there’s oil. The same competent driver, in the same car, might have a fifteen-second variation from one ‘Ring session to the next. Think about that.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/10/01/avoidable-contact-17-cheating-nissan-bitter-porsche/

not the same day, not the same drivers, not relevant.
and that's ignoring the fact that you're ignoring my point entirely.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
but you're already paying an extra $10k just so you have the potential to put more money into it. i've always been a big STI fan, it's been a truly unique car in a time where that rarely exists, but it really is just an awful value today.

Agreed, though the potential is still there. And while the track times may not reflect, a STI is still tons more fun to drive and has better feel than a v6 mustang.

I just recently drove a 12 v6, and they are wholly unimpressive. Cheaper than other cars in its category and way way less fun to drive. "ZOMG 300hp from a v6" doesnt mean shit when I can get 350hp from one with an 8spd auto paddle shifters that feels way better in every aspect of the driving experience. If all goes well, youll see my signature updated Saturday.

"I wish I bought a v6 mustang, theres more value there" said no wrx/sti owner, ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread