Ford developing a 4 door Mustang?

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I think it's smart on their part. Obviously there is a market for it. Just look at the Charger. FFS call it a different name though.

Coiled03

Established Member
Well, per the article they are saying it will go after the Panamera and I assume the new MB AMG GT sedan so a 4 door Mustang will have to utilize the fastback look to match those two cars.

I can't think of anyone who is building the "4 door coupe" outside of the premier auto brands so if Ford does it they will very much be by themselves in that segment and I am guessing they think the Mustang name and design is probably the only way to gain a foothold in that particular market.

Not that a potential Mustang would look as cool as these two cars but I think these two designs for a sedan look great! Especially that Panamera!

They have precisely 0.0% chance at competing with a Panamera if they call it a Mustang.

Voltwings

Established Member
I don't give a shit if they call it the flying pink dildo machine. Too many people on here care more about qualitative things than quantitative. Like bitching the GT has a v6 ... the thing wipes the floor with the competition, and that should be all that matters. Complaining about a 4 door mustang... if it's a good car that should be all that matters. Yes, I was upset when they were going to slap the Mach 1 nameplate on an SUV, but this is hardly the same as that. If its a good car, for a good price, I'd have one. I actually wish Ford would have a RWD v8 (or even remotely "performance") sedan.

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't give a shit if they call it the flying pink dildo machine. Too many people on here care more about qualitative things than quantitative. Like bitching the GT has a v6 ... the thing wipes the floor with the competition, and that should be all that matters. Complaining about a 4 door mustang... if it's a good car that should be all that matters. Yes, I was upset when they were going to slap the Mach 1 nameplate on an SUV, but this is hardly the same as that. If its a good car, for a good price, I'd have one. I actually wish Ford would have a RWD v8 (or even remotely "performance") sedan.

Some cars have a heritage and tradition that shouldn't be fundamentally altered. The Mustang is one of those, imho.

I wish Ford had a RWD V-8 too. Just call it something else. Why can't it be a new name plate?

Voltwings

Established Member
Some cars have a heritage and tradition that shouldn't be fundamentally altered. The Mustang is one of those, imho.

I wish Ford had a RWD V-8 too. Just call it something else. Why can't it be a new name plate?

I don't disagree with calling it something else. Something like Falcon would be cool to see stateside, but at the end of the day it being a mustang doesn't bother me.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
They have precisely 0.0% chance at competing with a Panamera if they call it a Mustang.

I agree because Porsche lol. You have a brand that places 1st or 2nd every year in quality and the other that is currently 19th. So no, Ford will not be able to directly compete in the overall package, but with the current engine lineup and the 10 speed, and even in design of the S550 I think Ford could really make waves with a car like that. I can sort of picture the design in my head and how it might look and with those naturally flared quarter panels and the overall low profile look, I think the car would look incredible, and so in that small segment it would definitely be the sales leader with I assume the Stinger being second.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If it's an Xover/SUV it will most likely get a new name. If it's more of a sedan, I'm thinking it will keep the Mustang name.
Ford already announced they are ending everything but the Mustang and Focus.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Taken. But we are talking about turbo V8 and a larger automobile. It is when a mustang grows up..

budman5023

Established Member
Give us the Australian ford falcon gt.

Attachments

• ford-fpv-gtf.jpg
    ford-fpv-gtf.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 121

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Yeah it was, but a great starting point. A redesign and update and it would be great platform. Oh its called a XR8 not GT.

That puts us back to where we are with this thread though. It would have to be what this rumor is with the Mustang chassis as I believe that is the only platform that could fulfill that role and can be modified to accompany two more doors, or at least the next chassis will have that capability I think. So they would have to just change the styling to look like an evolution of the last Falcon which as we have seen with the Chevy SS (being the Commodore in Aus) was cool but not successful. GM tried twice to bring the Aussie cars here and both failed to be sustainable so I dont think Ford is willing to try that route. Dodge is so far the only one that has been successful and they did it by drastically changing what the Charger was originally.

budman5023

Established Member
That puts us back to where we are with this thread though. It would have to be what this rumor is with the Mustang chassis as I believe that is the only platform that could fulfill that role and can be modified to accompany two more doors, or at least the next chassis will have that capability I think. So they would have to just change the styling to look like an evolution of the last Falcon which as we have seen with the Chevy SS (being the Commodore in Aus) was cool but not successful. GM tried twice to bring the Aussie cars here and both failed to be sustainable so I dont think Ford is willing to try that route. Dodge is so far the only one that has been successful and they did it by drastically changing what the Charger was originally.
Agreed. But for an enthusiast, but would be great. But what about Cadillac. I am always hearing about people selling their mustang's and the buying cts v. I think ford should look at their existing inventory. What about a Taurus chassis?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Agreed. But for an enthusiast, but would be great. But what about Cadillac. I am always hearing about people selling their mustang's and the buying cts v. I think ford should look at their existing inventory. What about a Taurus chassis?

I would say the Taurus nameplate is too far gone and that is Ford's fault for letting it go stagnant. And for Cadillac, I think Ford could answer them with a Lincoln if they would eventually just give us a Mark IX based off the Mustang. With what they have been doing lately with their exterior and interior designs they could make an incredible car by taking the best engine/suspension parts the Mustang has to offer, making that standard, and then going one step further to make it unique to the brand. I would love to see an ultra luxurious model from them that could actually compete with the BMW 8 series and then a 4 door version that would be a straight across competitor to the Panamera and AMG GT sedan.

Users who are viewing this thread