Ford developing a 4 door Mustang?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Every time McDonald's tries to put something "heatlhy" on the menu because people clamor for it, not enough of those people buy it, and the company learns a hard and costly lesson. Then they introduce 4,000 calorie triple chicken-fried chipotle cake batter krispykreme-coated burger meals, and sell millions of them. The same thing happens when car companies try to sell low-option performance cars in affordable segments. People want their heated seats, goddammit.

Not only that, but base models don't hold their value for shit compared to premium offerings, and your resale marketability is even less cause people looking for used versions don't want the base car. My base gen coupe is my worst car buying decision yet, I should've stuck to my guns and not settled due to lack of availability at the time.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Not only that, but base models don't hold their value for shit compared to premium offerings, and your resale marketability is even less cause people looking for used versions don't want the base car. My base gen coupe is my worst car buying decision yet, I should've stuck to my guns and not settled due to lack of availability at the time.

IDK about this.

When I bought my SRT back in 2011 there wasn't much of a price difference, maybe ~$1200, in the used market for same year model/similar mileage cars regardless of options. When new there was probably a 8k difference between a base Charger SRT vs a loaded one like mine.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
IDK about this.

When I bought my SRT back in 2011 there wasn't much of a price difference, maybe ~$1200, in the used market for same year model/similar mileage cars regardless of options. When new there was probably a 8k difference between a base Charger SRT vs a loaded one like mine.

You are correct. Heavy options make little difference on the used market, especially for American cars. The price difference between a base model and optioned up model can be as little as a few hundred bucks up to maybe a couple grand. Options depreciate just like the rest of the car. Who's going to pay premium money on a car with an outdated infotainment system over a base model of the same car? At that point, it's better to get the base car because it's easier to upgrade to a better aftermarket system.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
You are correct. Heavy options make little difference on the used market, especially for American cars. The price difference between a base model and optioned up model can be as little as a few hundred bucks up to maybe a couple grand. Options depreciate just like the rest of the car. Who's going to pay premium money on a car with an outdated infotainment system over a base model of the same car? At that point, it's better to get the base car because it's easier to upgrade to a better aftermarket system.
But then again, you are making the assumption that people WANT to upgrade things.....
Sure you can upgrade the stereo system but what if you have never done it before? Now you add in install costs plus no warranty on the items by Ford.
I know most of us forget but people with more money than me like the new car warranty and would rather not have to upgrade anything. Some people just want to be able to drive.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I'd rather have better oem system than base system then add aftermarket stereo.

I'd rather have better oem leather or Recaro seats than base cloth and do aftermarket seats.

Lots of people don't want to mess with stuff like that. I've become one of them due to lack of time and facilities. My next car will have premium shit or I won't buy it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
But then again, you are making the assumption that people WANT to upgrade things.....
Sure you can upgrade the stereo system but what if you have never done it before? Now you add in install costs plus no warranty on the items by Ford.
I know most of us forget but people with more money than me like the new car warranty and would rather not have to upgrade anything. Some people just want to be able to drive.

I'm not making that assumption at all. I was just putting up a reason why factory options don't add much value to a used car.

I'd rather have better oem system than base system then add aftermarket stereo.

I'd rather have better oem leather or Recaro seats than base cloth and do aftermarket seats.

Lots of people don't want to mess with stuff like that. I've become one of them due to lack of time and facilities. My next car will have premium shit or I won't buy it.

Again, I was simply stating that factory options don't add much value to a used car. I wouldn't want to buy a base model used car, either, if I was in that situation. I've done that several times in the past and regretted it every time. I just wouldn't pay big bucks for an optioned up used car versus the base/less optioned version; mileage, year and condition being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread