Ford Boss 429ci V8 Engine on BaT

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Magnesium valve covers indicate early production. Or add on, Jan 2 69.

God I need to win the lotto! This and the SOHC!

Fat Boss

Established Member
Rare motors can bring some good money. My dad sold this Wisconsin T Head engine last year to Corky Coker for $16k. Dad paid $800 for it.

It's got a 4.125" bore and 5.5" stroke.

80-20160211_163832_zpsrwgurjph_e07446b5a709bee1bb4772c31e8c2c9db6bb7868.jpg

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Neat, what was the HP and application for these? Nasty idle and spitting flames.
They were under rated, I believe 385hp from factory. They only came in one production vehicle - Mustang Boss 429. The rest of these motors went into Stock Cars for NASCAR. Many stories about the Boss 429s being dogs out of the dealership, poor running and slow. They were not installed at the Ford assembly plant but Kar Kraft which had to alter the shock towers to make the motor fit into the mustang. The stories are once the Boss 429 was dialed in and running proper they would beat Hemi cars on the street- possibly due to the lighter weight of the mustang compared to the dodges. The Boss 429 is considered the fastest muscle car ever made of that generation.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
They were under rated, I believe 385hp from factory. They only came in one production vehicle - Mustang Boss 429. The rest of these motors went into Stock Cars for NASCAR. Many stories about the Boss 429s being dogs out of the dealership, poor running and slow. They were not installed at the Ford assembly plant but Kar Kraft which had to alter the shock towers to make the motor fit into the mustang. The stories are once the Boss 429 was dialed in and running proper they would beat Hemi cars on the street- possibly due to the lighter weight of the mustang compared to the dodges. The Boss 429 is considered the fastest muscle car ever made of that generation.
I have some literature at home, from when gramps worked for Ford. Has some good info on 429 Boss. And you know what's crazy, quickest Mustang of the late 60s early 70s was the 71 Boss 351.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
They underrated and detuned these engines due to insurance. Originally Ford was going to rate them at 450 HP but then no one would be able to afford them do to insurance premiums. So a detune and a re rating of 375 HP was ordered. Holman and Moody had a package that would bring almost bring 600 HP for drag racing and other sanction events (road and circle track that wasn't NASCAR).

OX1

Established Member
What were those headers for, a Pantera? (although I wouldn't think that motor would fit in the "C" spot)

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
There were two 429s put in Cougars, one each for Eddie Schartman and Don Nicholson. They weren't production cars though.

And I'm curious as to the headers also...

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford-Open-Sports-494.jpg
The Boss V8 also found its way into road racing, where a special 494 cubic-inch Can-Am version was developed with an aluminum block and mechanical fuel injection. Holman Moody and Alan Mann (shown) were among the teams that experimented with the Boss in the Can-Am series, enjoying limited success, and barely a handful of the big 494 engines were produced.

1678560434704.png

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool piece of Ford history.
My dream build will be a ‘69 Boss 429 tribute with a 600” Ford ‘semi-hemi’.
And those magnesium covers…
-J

john11gt

Established Member
Like mentioned, it needed some tuning straight off the lot.

I always heard the 440 was actually a better street motor than the Hemi. Any truth to that?
My dad knew some people back in the day that worked / owned a dealership and said the same thing about the 440.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Under 5,000 rpm the 440 was a much better performer, which so happens to be the majority of street driving. Get the rev's over 5K and the Hemi would start pulling away. The 440 had a LOT more bottom end torque while the Hemi needed a lot more gear in the rear to get going.
The 440 had cylinder heads that were more suited for a healthy small block, thus the big low rpm torque numbers, and lack of high rpm power, while the Hemi's huge heads needed rpm to start taking advantage of all of that extra flow potential.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Under 5,000 rpm the 440 was a much better performer, which so happens to be the majority of street driving. Get the rev's over 5K and the Hemi would start pulling away. The 440 had a LOT more bottom end torque while the Hemi needed a lot more gear in the rear to get going.
The 440 had cylinder heads that were more suited for a healthy small block, thus the big low rpm torque numbers, and lack of high rpm power, while the Hemi's huge heads needed rpm to start taking advantage of all of that extra flow potential.
Isn't this why the Boss 429 was not a great street engine and why the 428 Cobra Jet was much more preferred on the street?

Auction sits at $25,000. with one day to go.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Very cool piece of Ford history.
My dream build will be a ‘69 Boss 429 tribute with a 600” Ford ‘semi-hemi’.
And those magnesium covers…
-J

Hot Rod featured a 34 Ford (I think) with a 600 cube Boss Nine back in the early 90's I think it was. That must have been a beast.

Users who are viewing this thread