Flowmaster GT500 Axle Back Prototype

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I can tell their will be some drone just from the start up video. But since I'm not a sissy, that wouldn't bother me. Too bad I have headers coming with an O/R H which I believe will be a bit much, but maybe not.... Good that FM is back in action with our years!:beer:

Damn I miss the sound of my stroker fox with the FM's !!!!

Which brand of headers did you go with? I'm close to ordering mine as well. The kooks headers look so much different in their pics than the other brands. I'll probably (reluctantly) add a 2pound pulley as well to bring the boost back up to stock after the header install.

Yes, these will be aggressive with an offroad. The deepness will vibrate some interior panels on deceleration at times lol.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Good job Race-red:

2 comments: Is Flow-master considering Black Tips, maybe as an option??
Do they have any video/audio available installed on a stock system.
I'm interested in an axle-back change only
Thanx

Ky GT500

Established Member
Which brand of headers did you go with? I'm close to ordering mine as well. The kooks headers look so much different in their pics than the other brands. I'll probably (reluctantly) add a 2pound pulley as well to bring the boost back up to stock after the header install.

Yes, these will be aggressive with an offroad. The deepness will vibrate some interior panels on deceleration at times lol.

I'm running American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes with OR H pipe. My stock exhaust does stick out 3/4" of an inch from flush. It's not ricer coffee can look,but it does stick out from stock. I can deal with it, if I want it flush, I'd have the stock pipe cut and remove 3/4" and re-weld. Can't cut the ends as they are flanged/swelled to slip fit the system together with the clamp sleeves. We did trim what we could from the H pipe to tuck it in further than it was without trimming, still allowing for clamps to tighten.

image-41.jpg

image-40.jpg

image-42.jpg

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Good job Race-red:

2 comments: Is Flow-master considering Black Tips, maybe as an option??
Do they have any video/audio available installed on a stock system.
I'm interested in an axle-back change only
Thanx

Thanks. No news of black tips at this point. I know this isn't what you want to hear nor would you necessarily do this to a brand new system, but the tips are such a simple design, it would be a quick and simple process to sand, prime, and paint them. But, I will pass along the request as i know many want black tips.

I have asked Flowmaster for video of a stock shelby with this system on it. Mine was the first time the system was even bolted to a car so its dobtful but I know they recently got a GT500 in their R&D facility to tweak the fit. If it werent so cold, I'd go out in the garage and put my stock hpipe back on for a video... or if someone wants to pay me to do it lol, jk! Maybe I can swap these onto someone with a stock GT500 in the Louisville area to get a video. That might be faster than swapping my hpipe lol.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I'm running American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes with OR H pipe. My stock exhaust does stick out 3/4" of an inch from flush. It's not ricer coffee can look,but it does stick out from stock. I can deal with it, if I want it flush, I'd have the stock pipe cut and remove 3/4" and re-weld. Can't cut the ends as they are flanged/swelled to slip fit the system together with the clamp sleeves. We did trim what we could from the H pipe to tuck it in further than it was without trimming, still allowing for clamps to tighten.

Lethalchem... so there ya go. Looks like other aftermarket h-pipes and/or headers ARE moving the tips out slightly like my JBA pipe did. I like the look honestly. But there are ways to fix it to your tastes. Maybe your brand offroad wont be the same. ;-)

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Just played the videos on my lap top and wanted to repeat for you to listen with earbud type earphones. The earbud earphones, or Beats style earphones too probably, sound much closer to the real thing and pick up the low tone. My laptop speaker made it sound much different. I guess if you have a sub connected to your computer it would pick it up better.

Anyways, just making sure you all have the right perception of the real sound before you decide on exhausts.

Last edited:

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
foxbody with flows, classic. I grew up with it and all my stangs had flowmasters. Please let me know when it comes out and the price they will cost. This and an H-pipe will be my setup. I love the single tip.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Lethalchem... so there ya go. Looks like other aftermarket h-pipes and/or headers ARE moving the tips out slightly like my JBA pipe did. I like the look honestly. But there are ways to fix it to your tastes. Maybe your brand offroad wont be the same. ;-)
I'm hoping it's the headers that are pushing it back a bit too. :read:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
foxbody with flows, classic. I grew up with it and all my stangs had flowmasters. Please let me know when it comes out and the price they will cost. This and an H-pipe will be my setup. I love the single tip.

Will do. Try these first before ordering the Hpipe though to make sure you want the extra volume from the offroad. These are louder than any flowmaster I've ever had.:beer:

amhauke

SSN8K
Established Member
Nice vids, sounds great!...Stop speeding down Hurstbourne Pkwy..Lol

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Damn, I too have always had a thing for Flowmasters. Super happy they finally made an exhaust for 13/14 GT500's.

Would love to know a price on these...

Bytor

Established Member
Yikes, I have the MRT H-pipe coming in late December. I hope it's just a matter of adjustment because I'm mating it to my stock mufflers for now and certainly don't want them sticking out. Now I'm worried. :lol:
The MRT h-pipe I got in July kept the stock mufflers in the stock position. I'm glad Flowmaster is finally doing this. I'd be happy with just a normal 40 series but this one sounds fun.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Second prototype setup from Flowmaster is in and on the car. Reminder again that I have an off-road. Flowmaster DEFINITELY addressed the drone of the first prototype as well as that flat raspy spot around 2500rpm. It appears they moved the inlet tube to the center (it was offset before) and the center tube inside the muffler was redesigned.

The exhaust sound is tricky. It's almost quieter at idle (almost) than stock muffler+offroad but is still louder under acceleration than stock+offroad... I think (I'll explain in a few). This second system SEEMS noticeably quieter inside the car while driving than the first prototype system+offroad... YET I hear it echoing off buildings n cars as I pass by. It's crazy. I truly believe they eliminated so much of the interior drone/volume that it tricks the ear into thinking its quieter... BUt the echoing tells me it's not quiet lol.

But the system is much more than just adding volume to the same sound. The sound is VERY unique!!! No other exhaust for our cars sounds like this that I've heard. I can't describe it. It's definitely DEEP old school muscle sound w/o the raspy stuff. It sounds amazing most of the time. There are some occasions where the deep pitch almost sounds like a truck exhaust. Not bad necessarily. Will just be based on taste. It definitely does more to the sound than just making it louder.

They are also toying with tip design so the look of this setup is NOT final. It's a staggered setup rather than the stock style side slash cut of the first prototype. Again, this is not final and I voted it OUT as an option bc the tips are too small. I will say they are pricey brushed stainless double walled tips.

Unfortunately my car is up in the air for other mods as well as wheel measurements so I don't have a sound clip yet. I need to record it driving away from the camera to see if it's really my ears playing tricks on me. Anyway, more to come...
photo1_edited_zpsfcf0f72e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Here are some quick videos of the second system. See my review above. They definitely fixed the interior resonance. Again, the tips are still being thought out so these aren't a final design. As with my previous videos, use earbud style (skull candy, beats, etc.) earphones as the deepness is not picked up with standard computer speakers and that is the uniqueness of the exhaust.

EDIT: These videos are with the stock headers and offroad Hpipe. The LT headers and Xpipe were added AFTER these videos.

th_D15DE7FD-1463-4501-A84F-3C923BA191D7_zpswugo8hu9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_B47A546F-B7C7-4D71-95E3-91D6D48C5B71_zpsmfoknskn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
I need to come up to Louisville when the weather breaks to hear this. So far I'm sticking with my stock muffs with my LT's and H,,, not heard anything I like better.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I need to come up to Louisville when the weather breaks to hear this. So far I'm sticking with my stock muffs with my LT's and H,,, not heard anything I like better.

Well I just cant impress you! LOL, jk. It does have a unique sound. Deeper and less raspy than stock so I am happy. Just has a unique tone at times that I cant describe. I should have my LTs on soon if the weather would allow me to get my car to the shop. That will change the sound a little too. The car will be in Carl Caspers (although I cant start it for you in there lol.) Hoping the weather clears for that too. UGH!!! I need an enclosed trailer!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread