Flowmaster GT500 Axle Back Prototype

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
So after months of nagging, Flowmaster finally developed a GT500 axle back kit and sent me out a couple prototypes to test out.

Fit and finish:
409ss construction with polished 4” tips and stock-style side-slash cut tip design. The kit is a prototype due to the quad tips but the mufflers are also a prototype hybrid muffler that combines the classic chambered case (deep sound) with the straight through design of flowmasters’s Outlaw mufflers (higher flow). The mufflers fit perfect and went in easy. The tips are not double walled but they are noticeably larger than stock and the polishing is carried slightly over the edge of the tip so they do show up more than the stock tips.

Sound:
Let me clarify, I like aggressive (loud) exhaust. I prefer the deep “big-block” sound of a chambered muffler to the raspy sound of most of today’s “straight-through” mufflers. I have had a number of Mustangs/Cobras and every one eventually had an offroad h-pipe and performance mufflers. My Shelby has an offroad so keep that in mind. So, I’m not new to some noise. That being said, this system is DEEP and LOUD when combined with my offroad. Flowmaster accomplished that deep chambered sound for sure. The sound alone sells me. The loudness is another matter.

Why so loud? Flowmaster designed this system for Shelby’s with the stock/catted h-pipe. They openly said they knew how aggressive the stock mufflers were and did not want to make a quieter muffler. In my opinion, I think on a stock catted h-pipe, this system would be mean and perfect. I would recommend it for the guy not wanting (or unable) to eliminate his cats yet wants a deep aggressive sound. Now, If you have an offroad and like some serious volume and a unique (deep) sound that is different from the other Shelby systems out there, then I’d recommend it for you too.

Drone: First, I will say that I cringe when guys with muscle cars ask over n over, “does it drone?” I mean, I get it, but I also feel a muscle car should sound deep and drone just comes with a deep sound. That being said, with an offroad, these things do drone quite a bit! This isn't for those who dont like some interioir volume for sure. Seriously! Again, I feel it’s due to them being designed for a stock catted system but they would likely still drone a little even with cats. Loud and deep equals drone.It’s all about the deep sound though. The car sounds deep and mean so it’s hard not to fall in love with the sound. I’m serious when I say (and some cobra owning friends agree) this exhaust has BASS! You feel it when you stand behind it. I thought the Magnaflow race (no muffler) design would be the loudest possible setup but these take the sound, deepen it and then almost magnify it.

Videos should be listened to with earbud style headphones to get the true feel of the deep tone and bass.

FYI… I’ll have one of these systems for sale in the near future.

Oh and if all you have to say is negative, then save it. I posted this so others can see the options out there. The system is still undergoing changes. Thanks to Flowmaster for using me as a lab rat ;)

1386181563_zps5821befb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stock (left) vs. Flowmaster (right):
1386183393_zps9ae1c81d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1386181568_zpsae794f38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1386181573_zpsa5840517.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_1386200037_zpse03685c5.jpg
"]

VIDEO (click image):
th_1386200037_zpse03685c5.jpg
[/URL]

VIDEO (click image):
th_1386198278_zps24e6033f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

VIDEO (click image):
th_1386200807_zps19f65ec4.jpg

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool, I've always liked the Flowmaster sound despite the haters, if you grew up and heard a Foxbody with Flowmasters, you'll always have a soft spot for them :)
I really like the blacked out body and angled tips.
-J

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Very cool, I've always liked the Flowmaster sound despite the haters, if you grew up and heard a Foxbody with Flowmasters, you'll always have a soft spot for them :)
-J

i'll definitely have Flowmasters, just need to figure out if these mufflers are too loud with the offroad. If so, I'll transplant in another 40 series flowmaster that actually has a baffle. These have no baffle. If the inlet tube on these wasn't curved, I'd be able to see right through them. :beer:

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
A view inside the tips. What you're seeing is the tip(pipe), then an open chamber, a tube of some sort, then another chamber and inlet tube. Most flomasters use a V-shaped baffle in one of the chambers to split the sound waves. These obviously do not lol.

1386221291_zps279a3d60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Sounds good! I love the old school flowmaster sound. Any idea when they will be available?

They are sending me another prototype in the next week as they have tweaked some of the bends to fit better. The first one fit fine but it was designed on a computer before they could get a shelby in their shop. Regardless, given this reworked version, I'd say they are very close to releasing them. Maybe a month if that.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I only put Flowmaster on my 6 different fox mustangs. Always loved the sound. This setup sounds kick ass too. I sounds like you should be able to feel the exhaust pulses in the seat of the car, which is what I really enjoyed. I like to feel the vibration as much as hear it. The tips still aren't quite right but hopefully they will tweak that. Another nice option since I don't want to go with headers and I have an o/r H on the way already. I definitely want obnoxiously loud so long as the tone is good.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I only put Flowmaster on my 6 different fox mustangs. Always loved the sound. This setup sounds kick ass too. I sounds like you should be able to feel the exhaust pulses in the seat of the car, which is what I really enjoyed. I like to feel the vibration as much as hear it. The tips still aren't quite right but hopefully they will tweak that. Another nice option since I don't want to go with headers and I have an o/r H on the way already. I definitely want obnoxiously loud so long as the tone is good.

I reported back to them that the slant of the tips was ever so slightly off from the angle of the bumper. I have them tucked right up high and close to the bumper which is closer than the stock exhaust sits. This could make the slight difference more noticeable.

And yes, you feel these. For the first time ever, i said to myself that these might have a bit too much drone lol. They hummmm! lol

shetheri

Established Member
I too grew up on Fox bodies with Flowmasters and love the sound. To be honest, I always liked the drone you got with Flows around that 1800-2000 rpm range.

I love the tips on this set up the best. It looks the most stock, I do not like the walled style tips that all the others have and that is why I have stayed with the stock set up until something like this came out. I like the single tubes with the angle cuts.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Sounds great, definitely interested.

I too grew up on Fox bodies with Flowmasters and love the sound. To be honest, I always liked the drone you got with Flows around that 1800-2000 rpm range.

I love the tips on this set up the best. It looks the most stock, I do not like the walled style tips that all the others have and that is why I have stayed with the stock set up until something like this came out. I like the single tubes with the angle cuts.

:beer: I'll keep you all posted.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
1386183252_zps5f7a66af.jpg

The problem I have with the tips isn't the slant, it's how they stick out and aren't flush. As seen in the above pic.

I reported back to them that the slant of the tips was ever so slightly off from the angle of the bumper. I have them tucked right up high and close to the bumper which is closer than the stock exhaust sits. This could make the slight difference more noticeable.

And yes, you feel these. For the first time ever, i said to myself that these might have a bit too much drone lol. They hummmm! lol

I've never been bothered by drone, so I'd be surprised if it would ever be an issue for me. I'd LOVE to be back into a FM muffler again just for of nostalgia of it. Lol

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
FYI... I will be selling these and my stock mufflers once they get me the upated system.

I had NO fitment issues with these so there's no worries there. It definitly does not look like a "prototype" system at all. I'm not sure what they would change but they told me everything will be the same except they tweaked the fitment/bends a little. Apparently the one I currently have was designed by computer as they did not have a Shelby to test fit. After they sent it out to me, they got ahold of a Shelby to tweak things.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
1386183252_zps5f7a66af.jpg

The problem I have with the tips isn't the slant, it's how they stick out and aren't flush. As seen in the above pic.

I've never been bothered by drone, so I'd be surprised if it would ever be an issue for me. I'd LOVE to be back into a FM muffler again just for of nostalgia of it. Lol

Oh okay. On that note, I will say that the tips sticking out is a result of the offroad H-pipe in my case. My stock tips stuck out after I installed it. I'll look for a pic. I kinda like seeing a little bit of the tips (it's not much and it doesn't look "ricer" lol) but I completely respect that!!! Seems like I read that others noticed the offroad hpipe being slightly longer than the stock one but I might be imagining that. Maybe I just didn't get the tailpipes all the way up on the hpipe. I do remember fighting it lol. I have the JBA hpipe from Van.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Oh okay. On that note, I will say that the tips sticking out is a result of the offroad H-pipe in my case. My stock tips stuck out after I installed it. I'll look for a pic. I kinda like seeing a little bit of the tips (it's not much and it doesn't look "ricer" lol) but I completely respect that!!! Seems like I read that others noticed the offroad hpipe being slightly longer than the stock one but I might be imagining that. Maybe I just didn't get the tailpipes all the way up on the hpipe. I do remember fighting it lol. I have the JBA hpipe from Van.

Yikes, I have the MRT H-pipe coming in late December. I hope it's just a matter of adjustment because I'm mating it to my stock mufflers for now and certainly don't want them sticking out. Now I'm worried. :lol:

Myfast70

Established Member
-J

Throw a set of Flows on even a stock Fox Body and they still sound great!

It's is a system that I think I may actually be interested in!

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I can tell their will be some drone just from the start up video. But since I'm not a sissy, that wouldn't bother me. Too bad I have headers coming with an O/R H which I believe will be a bit much, but maybe not.... Good that FM is back in action with our years!:beer:

Damn I miss the sound of my stroker fox with the FM's !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread