Flowmaster GT500 Axle Back Prototype

paluka21

Established Member
Purchased from AmericanMuscle.com. Ordered on Wednesday and arrived on Friday (UPS ground from PA to SC).

I recorded a few video clips while ago but trust me, the sheer volume isn't properly captured via video. First video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxmf6iwkOU

NOTE: I was also trying out an external stereo mic on my GoPro. So I drove behind the camera to see how it picked up. Sorry in advance for the boring test video. Some of the other videos didn't turn out too well because of wind noise or the exhaust maxing out the db level on the mic. :nonono:

I like the general sound of these mufflers, but would be interested to hear what it sounds like with the stock mid pipe.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Just my opinion but the Outlaw muffler would just get you a raspy exhaust similar to all the other "straight-through" designs already available from the other manufacturers. Outlaws are a packed/baffled, straight through muffler. Yeah it's loud but it sounds higher pitched too. To get the "Flowmaster Sound" and deepness, you need a chambered muffler. =/

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
e I ordered 4" double walled tips to weld on. Just havent had time to get the car to the shop. Tips gotta go.

The Xpipe is gonna go to. I WILL have a "prochamber" like crossover built for this car if it kills me lol. This will deepen the sound and also slightly quiet the sound so it would be a win win... I think.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
I like the general sound of these mufflers, but would be interested to hear what it sounds like with the stock mid pipe.
FWIW I will be putting my stock mid-pipe back on tomorrow just so I'll know what these mufflers sound like on a stock setup. I'll try to get some decent recordings as well.

paluka21

Established Member
e I ordered 4" double walled tips to weld on. Just havent had time to get the car to the shop. Tips gotta go.

The Xpipe is gonna go to. I WILL have a "prochamber" like crossover built for this car if it kills me lol. This will deepen the sound and also slightly quiet the sound so it would be a win win... I think.

I think that will make these mufflers more appealing. Flowmaster *should* be offering these mufflers with the quad stock looking tips, not making folks go out to spend more money to get it "right."

rancid

Established Member
FWIW I will be putting my stock mid-pipe back on tomorrow just so I'll know what these mufflers sound like on a stock setup. I'll try to get some decent recordings as well.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I bet it will quiet it down a good bit which might not be a bad thing.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
Won't have any feedback on this system with the stock mid-pipe today. Had something come up at work that I'll need to focus on instead. :bored:

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
Re-installed the stock mid-pipe this morning. So now the exhaust setup is completely stock except for the flowmaster axle back. In terms of overall loudness/sound level, I believe it's about the same as with the stock mufflers. In terms of tone, it's a fair bit deeper than the stock exhaust. Gave it a few revs under an overpass and it sounded pretty sweet.

Driving through my 25mph neighborhood I did notice a bit of drone at 25-30mph in 2nd gear (3:73 gears). That being said, I did not notice any drone during the highway drive though. It was very quiet in 5th/6th on the highway. After spending many months with the offroad H-pipe I have to say it's rather refreshing to have a more toned down exhaust. I'll try to take it out this evening and get some sound clips.

My local muffler shop had some nice looking double walled tips that we believe will work on these. I'll probably take it back later this week or next and try them out. He also made a comment about the flowmaster tips that I personally didn't think of. He said they were probably designed that way (dual material) to dissipate heat better than if it were all chrome. I just thought it was someone simply trying to make a 'fancy' tip for this car. :bash:

Helleanor

Established Member
Gave up comparing axle-backs so I ordered these, received in a few weeks, installed in an hour with my 15 yr old. Tips are not my choice, but my son really likes the quality and look, so we'll leave them for now. Sound is lower and about the same db as stock at idle, but WOT is loud the way it should be. I've had zero luck uploading pics and video from my PC and iPad, even looked at the help post, so don't ask, sorry.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Gave up comparing axle-backs so I ordered these, received in a few weeks, installed in an hour with my 15 yr old. Tips are not my choice, but my son really likes the quality and look, so we'll leave them for now. Sound is lower and about the same db as stock at idle, but WOT is loud the way it should be. I've had zero luck uploading pics and video from my PC and iPad, even looked at the help post, so don't ask, sorry.

Brother, I can understand you being A/V challenged, but are you telling us that your 15 yr old is also? :( Mine does this Ytube, Instagram crap so fast I don't even try to follow the steps. I know yours has to be dialed in on it....

Last edited:

Helleanor

Established Member
LOL... So true, he does post to YT, FB and who knows what else, just not of the Shelby. His GoPro vids are awesome! One of these days I'll figure it out. All I have to say is that the flowmasters sound and look great!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Did anyone mention the tips being stupid?

I thought the first set of tips looked ok.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah if you're really wanting a set, you guys should be calling FM direct and getting these with different tips.
If they say no tell them how much they look like d!ck and ask for the designers job ;-)
Seriously though, tips are any easy fix if you love the sound.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread