"Floating Home"

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Ever since I got my Cobra detailed a few months back (Thanks to Joshua and Sondi from Chapel Hill), it seems like every time I drive it to work with clear skies forecasted, it will invariable cloud up and rain right when it's time to drive home. FML. Same shit happened on Tuesday, only this experience was a little different than the others...

I pride myself on being a very good driver. Been to a couple of driving schools, spent a lot of time at the track, and I've driven all sorts of machines in all sorts of conditions, up to and including a jinga truck in the mountains of Afghanistan. I've driven my Cobra in the rain several times on new and bald NT555R's and never really had any issues. I've driven it a few times on new NT05R's, but it's always been the type of rain that just barely gets the road wet. On Tuesday, I was about 5 minutes behind a summertime deluge. When I turned on a newly paved road about three miles from my house, things got a little "sporty." The road was very saturated and the back end literally felt like it was floating down the road. I slowed to about 30-35 in a 55, which pissed off everyone behind me, but **** 'em. My traction control kept cutting power and it was a workout to keep it on the road, but since it's not a four wheel drive vehicle, I couldn't pull off on the shoulder on this road. When I got home, I was sweating and immediately went to the fridge for a beer to calm my nerves. DOT legal drag radials + wet road= muy grande driving excitement!

I know this isn't Earth-shattering news to anyone, but I just wanted to share this in case any of you were thinking about putting NT05R's on your daily driver.:nono:

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Weird I drive mine in the rain (monsoon season here) and have no issues with my NT05r's I just am very gentle on the gas and no issues at higher speeds.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Weird I drive mine in the rain (monsoon season here) and have no issues with my NT05r's I just am very gentle on the gas and no issues at higher speeds.

It was the new pavement, which was very smooth. The other pavement in between my place of work and this stretch is pretty rough...down right heinous in some areas, actually. The smooth pavement plus the smooth nature of the tread of the tire sandwiched the water in between and made things sketchy, at best.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Not everyone who drives on DR's in the rain agrees that they are dangerous, but everyone with DR's who has lost it in the rain agrees that it was a mistake.

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
I had a similar situation on the Hoosiers yet you would agree that it was self inflicted with the Hoosier DR's.

I was coming home from a car show and the sky opened up. It was "fun" especially with the kids in the car.

I guess you cant always predict the weather.

Enjoy your beer, I know it was well earned.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not everyone who drives on DR's in the rain agrees that they are dangerous, but everyone with DR's who has lost it in the rain agrees that it was a mistake.

Well said, and so true. It isn't recommended that you use DRs in the rain, although it can be done IF the conditions are right (surface type, amount of water, and lower speeds). What the OP experienced is not uncommon. All I can say is be very careful if you have DRs and you get caught in a a good amount of water on the road.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
IMHO drag radials are just BAD IDEA for a Ternminator Cobra.

Even if you only drive to the drag strip to use them only there, they transmit hellacious shock to the IRS, and there is far more breakage from them than other options.

If you are serious about drag racing bring bias ply slicks to the track and change to them when you get there.

Driving around town drag radials are still not the best option since they suck donkey balls in even 1/4" of water.

You high powered guys who street drive a lot should be rolling around on some deeply grooved road racing DOT R compound tires.

Like the Toyo R888s.:rockon::beer: or similar road race R compound. What out though because not all R comp road race tires are as good in the rain as the Toyos are.

For example the Nitto 555 RIIs have a nice pattern but not much depth, I'm thinking the NT01s would be a better choice for a Nitto selection.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr, I try not to drive my Cobra in the rain at all, but here lately, it seems like Mother Nature has it in for me. I've had two sets of 555R's on it and wasn't that impressed with them. The NT05R's are very confidence inspiring (in a straight line), but I am on the fence as to what I will put on the rear the next time I need some new shoes. I've contemplated BFG's or the R888's as a they seem like they are the best option for street, strip, road course, and rain, but when it comes down to it...$$$ sway my opinion quite a bit and Nitto's give you a lot of bang for your buck...as long as you can stay out of the rain.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr, I try not to drive my Cobra in the rain at all, but here lately, it seems like Mother Nature has it in for me. I've had two sets of 555R's on it and wasn't that impressed with them. The NT05R's are very confidence inspiring (in a straight line), but I am on the fence as to what I will put on the rear the next time I need some new shoes. I've contemplated BFG's or the R888's as a they seem like they are the best option for street, strip, road course, and rain, but when it comes down to it...$$$ sway my opinion quite a bit and Nitto's give you a lot of bang for your buck...as long as you can stay out of the rain.

What power level are you at?

cobracide

Established Member
1) In the rain NO R. Let's just say off track. Get an extra set of rims and tires if you need to.

2) Turn off the TC.

3) NT-05s - Look into them for off track.

Last edited:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
What power level are you at?

Ha ha, slightly over stock, but I'm a long weekend away from 500+. A long confluence of events has kept me from installing the Stage 5 Eaton with 2.76" upper and supporting mods that I've had in my garage and now basement (moved recently) for over a year now. I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger in the next few weeks. Putting the NT05R's on a few months back was planning for the future.:rockon:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ha ha, slightly over stock, but I'm a long weekend away from 500+. A long confluence of events has kept me from installing the Stage 5 Eaton with 2.76" upper and supporting mods that I've had in my garage and now basement (moved recently) for over a year now. I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger in the next few weeks. Putting the NT05R's on a few months back was planning for the future.:rockon:

OK, Buy some Nitto NT05 non R street radials, instead of drag radials.

You will like them.

Users who are viewing this thread