Fitness and Healthy Lifestyle thread

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
latest

Troponin

Established Member
I honor everybody that trains. It's a great lifestyle. Great for the body and a huge confidence builder. I have no clue how to post pics. I train 5 days a week and work nightshift and a ton of hours. Sleep is hard and eating is hard. I am 6'4 235 big chest and traps and big veins.....need to work on my legs badly lol. Bodyfat is probably around 10-12% haven't checked it lately. I never really go heavy just really high reps. My best lifts are on the bench. I've done 225x31 and 315x12.

I absolutely hate benching. I am a naturally weak presser, so bench just always feels difficult to me. My best was 275x5, but after my last bad RC tear, I am back to 245x7 as of last week. I literally dread chest day. :(

Sirraf

Established Member
Best thing that worked for me was going Keto for about 5 weeks (25 carbs per day max), after that bumping up the carbs to about 100-125 per day. Being conscious of carbs in the standard american diet (carb heavy) is critical. It's crazy how fast you can put on excess weight with not keeping up with carbs. I do fairly moderate-intense workouts Mon-Thur. Actually eating breakfast made a big difference as well.

Last edited:

alaskablkmach

Established Member
Yep you hit the nail on the head....I sit at home and eat potato chips........to all off you idiots who assumed I meant someone in this thread said it is a sport.....nope I didn't I said that because I run into those people everyday at the gym. And to the guy who said it is a lifestyle yor are absolutely correct....I never once said it is not and I k ow exactly how much determination it takes to get ready for a show. The same as a fight tough guy. You **** thinking I have no experience in this and I am some fat guy are not very accurate. I simply said it is not a sport...and that's my opinion and you all lose your shit.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
2x Physique Mr Olympia, with umm "10 year old boy legs". Nobody claimed it was a sport there big guy, and since I'm sensing by your moronic post, you MUST be a bodybuilder? Oh wait, maybe you're a cross fitter? Do you know what it takes to compete? Your opinion on this matter is idiotic and useless to all of us that are trying to improve our lifestyle and physique. Don't insult us because you do not have the ability and drive to achieve what we "morons" can.

View attachment 61873

You sure your not a girl...you got offended real quick because I said it is not a sport...lol...wow...relax....and I went to 3 shows last year in the indy area and every single physique competitor had 10 yr old boy legs...so I call it like I seen it.

Whippled3v

Established Member
IIFYM ftw, I was very overweight in high school and lost about 60 lbs by struggling through "clean eating" followed by periodic binges because I couldn't handle grilled chicken, brown rice, brocolli, etc. day after day. I made the switch to flexible dieting 2 years back and the first time my abs became visible, I was eating 100-150 grams of carbs in ICE CREAM (low fat ice cream that fit my macros though) almost every night past 10 pm, doing minimal cardio (still lifting 5-6 times a week), but I was STRICT on my carb/protein/fat intake each day. So many myths in the fitness industry, it's unreal. There's more than one way to skin a cat, some methods work better for different people. I will personally be a flexible dieter for life. Diet is about moderation, quantity over quality, when talking aesthetics.

Branhammer

Established Member
Damn some of you guys are ****ing hulks. I've never been that much into the weight room, personally. My fitness plans have changed multiple times over the years.

Pre-military I was in the worst shape of my life. I'm 6'2" and at age 23 I weighed over 230 lbs. My dinner was frequently an entire box of cheese-itz and a 6 pack of beer or something of that nature. I couldn't do more than 30 push-ups at one time. That was around 2007. The military fixed that real quick.

In 2011 I had my first real deployment to Iraq where there was nothing to do but go to the gym. I was there for 5 months I spend 15 hours a week lifting and doing almost no cardio other than about 30 minutes a day on the elliptical. I didn't worry about my diet and ate whatever I wanted. When I got there my bench press max was maybe 185 lbs. Before I left, it was 285. My squat was 405 and my dead lift was 315 (my goal while there was to have a combined bench/squat/deadlift max of 1,000 lbs.)

My best advice for lifting is have a good partner who knows what proper form looks like and can correct you when needed. Also, pay attention to you diet. It's just as important. I was the biggest, muscle-wise, that I'd ever been, but I still had no six pack because abs are built in the kitchen, not the gym.

The last few years I've switched gears and become a runner. I do half marathons and am currently signed up for four this year. That number could go up or down though because I'm currently trying to recover from a bulged S5 disk that has had me sidelined for months. Back injuries SUCK.

My advice to anyone, no matter what your goals are, is include a healthy diet into your plan, have a good gym partner, NEVER over-do it just to look cool and just stay within your limits, and most importantly, do yoga or pilates or something to improve your flexibility. Believe me....I used to think that shit was for woman, but now I'm 32 and I can't stop getting injured. Since I turned 30, I've had two tweaked rotator cuffs and a bulging disk and all could have been prevented if I had any flexibility. Injuries will kill your results like nothing else.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I am 32, 6ft and weight is 190 but I am 6.5% body fat and have been for a long time. The reason I stay lean is I can eat whatever the **** I want. AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHY IT IS WORTH IT...lol.....I got hurt in Iraq and hurt my back and have been doing it ever since then in 2006. But it also helps my back if it is strengthened. So I maintain in the gym.

How the **** am I one inch taller than you...... and 10 pounds more...

But I'm 20% more body fat and I'm nowhere near fat. I'm having a hard time believing you're 6ft 190 and 6.5%

Oh wait, maybe you're a cross fitter?

Rich Froning would laugh at you as he demolished you in every single event you went against him in.

The garbage so many body builders spew against cross fitters is hilarious.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Everyone on SVTP is 6'3, 195 lbs of pure muscle with a smoking hot girlfriend/wife. Duh. This thread is pointless.

But... on the other side of fitness and staying healthy, I'm mostly do cardio only with the occasional strength training in the gym. I currently run about 55-65 miles per week. Currently training for the Boston Marathon in hopes to qualify for New York. (NY Times are significantly lower than Boston qualifying times, although you can lottery into NY Marathon).
The goal is to run a 2:50:00, so a 6:29/per mile for 26.2 miles. (My latest indicator for the race was a half marathon at 1:21:55, 6:15/per mile.)
The nice thing is I eat whatever I want and drink beer (extra carbs). Although I can tell the difference when I run between eating healthy and feeling good, or eating not so good and feeling sluggish.
Currently I'm not your average SVTP build... 30 years old, 5'10 and 148lbs. Body fat is extremely minimal. Also counts as weight reduction for the race track.

Those are some damn good times for a full and a half. Good luck for Boston and NY! I currently run x3 a week with mid week being my speed work training or a short run and the saturday's being my long runs. I thought I would be able to drop some weight but I still struggle with it. Meh. Anyways, my next half is in three weeks and looking forward to a possilbe sub 2 hour run time. :rolling:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Been lifting/working out since high school.
Back when being young and dumb, just going to the gym to be big and lift a bunch of weights. As I grew more and more into it, I started concentrating more on control and technique. I was in my prime I would so in my early 30's. I looked lean, not too lean and had great strength. I used to be very picky with what I ate too. I'm 44 now, but have a little bit of a gut, but still hit it pretty hard at the gym. Not as hard as I used to when I was younger just to prevent/avoid injury. Not worth it to me to get hurt to miss going to the gym and whatnot. I'm not in any bodybuilding competition. lol :rolling:
I have gained a lot of strength and size though, which was my goal, so I guess mission achieved!

apache driver

Established Member
Best thing that worked for me was going Keto for about 5 weeks (25 carbs per day max), after that bumping up the carbs to about 100-125 per day. Being conscious of carbs in the standard american diet (carb heavy) is critical. It's crazy how fast you can put on excess weight with not keeping up with carbs. I do fairly moderate-intense workouts Mon-Thur. Actually eating breakfast made a big difference as well.

You did a fab diet nothing more. Carbs fuel the fire, period. Your statement of "Actually eating breakfast made a big difference as well" means you shouldn't be giving anybody nutritional advice. Anybody will lose weight if they don't eat. The trick is shredding up while gaining Muscle Mass. The "Keto" diet will never accomplish that.

Troponin

Established Member
Rich Froning would laugh at you as he demolished you in every single event you went against him in.

Froning is the exception, not the rule. A lot of those elite guys have some impressive backgrounds before getting in to crossfit too. Rich was a collegiate athlete in Baseball and football, I believe.

My fight with crossfit consists of...

1. the crowd that it tends to attract. It's like they've reinvented the damn wheel. If I get lectured by one more crossfitter about how their methods are superior, or how they think they suddenly have a PHD in physical therapy, kinesiology, and dietary.

2. When they want to lecture me on all of the above, then I watch them use the worst form in history. Resistance training under extreme fatigue results in bad neuromuscular response and dramatically increases injury rates.

I get the concept, really, I do. I don't agree with it, but when it's in my face and I don't want it to be, then wee have a problem.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Froning is the exception, not the rule. A lot of those elite guys have some impressive backgrounds before getting in to crossfit too. Rich was a collegiate athlete in Baseball and football, I believe.

My fight with crossfit consists of...

1. the crowd that it tends to attract. It's like they've reinvented the damn wheel. If I get lectured by one more crossfitter about how their methods are superior, or how they think they suddenly have a PHD in physical therapy, kinesiology, and dietary.

2. When they want to lecture me on all of the above, then I watch them use the worst form in history. Resistance training under extreme fatigue results in bad neuromuscular response and dramatically increases injury rates.

I get the concept, really, I do. I don't agree with it, but when it's in my face and I don't want it to be, then wee have a problem.

I'll do a number thing too..

1. Let's act like bodybuilders dont attract the type where they have scream every time they lift a weight... take a gym selfie and check in daily on facebook

2. Your form isn't the correct form just like mine isn't. What works for them is the correct form. I might do pull ups different than you because of my shoulder... or you might do squats different than me because of your thigh.

If something works for them. I'm not going to say they are wrong. If they are in the gym taking care of themselves they are doing a lot more than most Americans.

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Lots of dick swinging in here lol! I couldn't care less about the way someone tries to stay fit, as long as they are doing SOMETHING. I've tried a few things over the years and my current love affair is with crossfit. Don't get me wrong, I was that guy who just wanted to lift heavy weights in the gym, and bashed the hell out of crossfit for the longest time lol! This was a post I started a few years back.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?848877-Bodybuilding

I was clearly into body building and trying to get bigger. I was having some success in it, but being in the military, it just wasn't doing it for me. My run times were getting slower and slower, while my pushups were getting easier. Long story short, I got injured and a little chubby.

Friend of mine dragged me into a crossfit class, and I was hooked after my first WOD( workout of the day ). My one real problem with crossfit before I tried it was super shitty form that I saw all over youtube. BUT, if you have a coach/trainer/instructor, whatever you want to call them, that really cares about YOU, it won't be the case.

ANYWAYS, crossfit introduced me to weightlifting...olympic weightlifting, and I'm hooked. Sure benching with my fellow gym rats was fun, but there is something about the technical skill required to pull off a heavy clean and jerk or snatch that is ****ing magical lol!

That's my fitness shpeel, not here to preach or bash any certain method of working out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm currently fighting tennis elbow, it's put a pretty big halt on my lifting routine. I'm currently doing leg workouts about twice a week and minimal upper body until I know I'm healed up. Putting in a little more cardio, which I totally hate! The abs are slowly coming around, I'm trying a few things to lose a bit of fat around the waste line but retain all my muscle of course.

IMAG0070_zps0crkfkck.jpg

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
I just said f it yesterday and ate an 8" double chocolate cake and like 5 croissants lol. Back to dieting :)

Troponin

Established Member
I'll do a number thing too..

1. Let's act like bodybuilders dont attract the type where they have scream every time they lift a weight... take a gym selfie and check in daily on facebook

2. Your form isn't the correct form just like mine isn't. What works for them is the correct form. I might do pull ups different than you because of my shoulder... or you might do squats different than me because of your thigh.

If something works for them. I'm not going to say they are wrong. If they are in the gym taking care of themselves they are doing a lot more than most Americans.

I'm not talking about kipping. You seemed to have reading problems. I said when you work to extreme fatigue, and push through while using resistance training, your form goes out the window and the risk of injuries dramatically increases. Crossfit has the highest rate of injuries among pretty much any "sport". That is a fact. Deny it all you want.

Users who are viewing this thread