First Terminator mods, simple stuff. Want opinions.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Yes, I'm the guy with the stock Cobra, who is forever talking about stock Cobras, but winter is nigh and I might want Santa to bring me some stocking stuffers.

Tell me if this is a reasonable plan.

Swap upper pulley with Billetflow 2.76, idler, and belt.
Purchase SCT tuner and load SCT tune. Then see how she runs? I'm a DIY guy, but not a master mechanic. I don't need to squeeze out the very last HP/TQ, I just don't want to ruin my engine.

First major question. Am I putting my engine at risk by not taking it to a competent engine tuner immediately if I do this?

Either way, I'd eventually take it to Fastlane Motorsports and let them weld in Maximum Motorsports full length subframes, and then put it on the dyno to fine tune it.

Only mods currently are K&N filter element, and Magnaflow "Street" catbacks which I like, and plan to keep.

Last edited:

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Do all listed above, but don’t run a canned tune. Contact 04sleeper on here if you want to tune the car without putting it on a dyno for a bit. I haven’t read a bad thing about him.

I would definitely go with a high flow catted mid pipe or a cat less mid pipe. Chambered or X is up to you, but you should definitely consider getting rid of the stock mid pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Getting rid of the idlers for METCO is a great idea. I ruined my lower idler, belt and nicked my 4lb lower on a hard 3rd gear pull. Left my Cobra stranded for hours till I could get a stock replacement.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're going to take it to a tuner just pick up the hand held device from them. The pulley and tune should give your a little more pep.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Good choice, pulley/tune is probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do for these cars. Try to get a custom dyno tune with reputable tuner for sure. Best of luck with it and enjoy!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
welded in full length subframes (especially for a vert)
2.76 upper with snub idler
metco dual bearing idlers
high flow catted mid pipe
catback
a real wideband with data log capability
handheld
laptop to log with

You would be thrilled with the difference this will make and with a quality tune like 04sleeper, it will be 100% safe as long as your fuel parts are up to snuff. You could find out during the tuning process that something between your pumps/maf is inadequate and could require additional mods....but that chance is slim. You should probably be fine as is and make around 450rwhp and 480rwtq. It will be a dramatic increase over stock with much more mid range response.

stangfreak

Established Member
2.76 upper
cold air intake
catback
custom tune
shifter if you really want.

You can do this in your garage and that is all you need if you want a basic bolt on cobra. I still wish to this day that I left my cobra that way.

Only difference is that I had a 2.80 reichard racing ultra grip pulley with a gatorback belt. I forgot what size belt but I didn't even need any extra idlers and had zero belt slip. It was so slick that I even put back my pulley cover and it looked like I had the stock pulley. when we would race I would tell people that I had a catback, filter, and tune lol.

There was a rumor floating around the internet 14 years ago that a ultra grip pulleyand gatorback belt was a bad combo. ripped the belts. Its bs. That combo never failed me or my buddies and they used to beat the shit out of there cobras. The gatorback belt and ultra grip also creating a whistling sound at idle. It was bad ass. People would ask me if I had a procharger under the hood. It wasn't that loud but it sounded like a centri blower.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
2.76 upper
cold air intake
catback
custom tune
shifter if you really want.

You can do this in your garage and that is all you need if you want a basic bolt on cobra. I still wish to this day that I left my cobra that way.

Curious to know what slippery slope you went down that you wound up regretting. Turbo?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
You'll be amazed what a difference a simple pulley swap and tune does. A great way to start out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread