First start after winter tips

weaselp1

Established Member
I am going to take the cobra out of storage this weekend; it has been sitting for about 5 months. I have a battery tender on it so the battery should be good. I want to start her up and get the fluids up to temp so I can change oil, change tranny fluid, bleed brakes, etc. We are about 2-3 weeks out before I can actually start driving it! :banana:

I plan on holding the clutch and gas pedal down and letting her crank for about 10 seconds, then start her up. Does anyone have any other tips/tricks for the first start after winter storage?

Thanks in advance!

MysticRob

Established Member
This prevents the car from starting...but allows the oil to circulate in the engine before the first initial start.

I've never heard of this on a fuel injected vehicle before. If everything is working correctly wouldn't this still cause the vehicle to start immediately? :shrug:

weaselp1

Established Member
I've never heard of this on a fuel injected vehicle before. If everything is working correctly wouldn't this still cause the vehicle to start immediately? :shrug:

I read this on Cobra Bobs Post about winter storage:

"When starting the car after long term storage, hold the accelerator to the floor (which will turn off the fuel injectors) while starting. Turn the
engine over for about 10 seconds to get the oil flowing to the top of the engine. Then start the car normally. It is also recommended to pull
all the plugs first so the starter isn't working against compression. It is my understanding, though, that if you have a BAP it can render this
trick useless, reportedly due to the upgraded wiring coming directly from the battery."

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/733614-tips-mustang-winter-storage.html

Last edited:

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
It's commonly referred to as "clear flood mode". Holding the throttle all the way open when turning the key to "START" shuts off the fuel injectors. As the OP stated, this allows you to use the starter to move some oil before actually firing up the engine.

Only thing I could think of is cycle oil up through the pistons before it actually fires/.
:dw:

EDIT: And of course there were two replies posted in the time it took me to type that. :D

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
turn the key and start like normal...no need to do anything else

I have been storing my car from Nov - April for 5+ years now and never had a single issue

03' White Snake

Established Member
Drive easy on the first tank, no real boost. The gas octane level could have deteriorated and can possibly detonate and blow your engine. I always try to store my car with less than 1/2 a tank and add stabil. Then its easier to run it low and fill up with fresh gas for the season.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Yep I don't do anything different than any other time. Crank and fire up. 10 winter storage on this one. Now my old carbed 71 demon was a bitch to start after long storage.

weaselp1

Established Member
Drive easy on the first tank, no real boost. The gas octane level could have deteriorated and can possibly detonate and blow your engine. I always try to store my car with less than 1/2 a tank and add stabil. Then its easier to run it low and fill up with fresh gas for the season.

Thanks for the heads up - I have a full tank and have stabil in it...so it will take me a bit longer to run it down.

Yep I don't do anything different than any other time. Crank and fire up. 10 winter storage on this one. Now my old carbed 71 demon was a bitch to start after long storage.

LOL..I bet that 71 demon was a bitch to start!

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
I've never done the "hold throttle" down thing. I've stored my 98 cobra for 14 winters (Missouri) and never had an issue. I do put fresh oil in before storage and the oil pressure registers almost instantly upon ignition.
Looking forward to summer..... :)

IA Shelby

Established Member

I agree with driving easy to burn out the first tank.

Disagree on filling it half full. That allows condensation to form.

Fill them to the top.

weaselp1

Established Member
A little optimistic? I do hope that to be true.

It might be a little optimistic, especially after this winter in southern WI; but that wont stop me from starting her up this weekend and changing all of the fluids to make sure I am ready the first good day we have :)

Users who are viewing this thread