First modifications/suggestions for 2010 GT500

Mbiro594

Established Member
I can get around the cats problem, just want to make sure it's the volume I want. You recommend a Lethal H?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This is what my car sounded like with straight pipes. It had a turbo on each side so that quiets it down a bit, probably about what you'd be at with an off-road mid pipe and keeping the factory mufflers. It had a good sound without being obnoxious and there was no drone.

RBB

Established Member
I can get around the cats problem, just want to make sure it's the volume I want. You recommend a Lethal H?

H or X, whatever you like. I ran their X before I went to long tubes and I was happy with it. H will have a little deeper tone, X will be raspier.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
x2 on the tires. I guess i forgot about that but i bought 555r's before i added power. Not that it needed them stock (it was a slow ass dog) but i knew it would have more power very soon.

I cannot agree on the lower control arms. My car dead hooks second with the drag radials and my suspension is totally stock other than BMR drag lowering springs.

O/R x pipe will make the car sound great.... keep stock mufflers IMO.

Mbiro594

Established Member
What's everyone's opinion on going with Kooks for the midpipe? They are 10 min from me and I get a 15% discount

RBB

Established Member
Also is a tune necessary with the OR pipe?

Kooks makes quality stuff, you can't go wrong with them. You will need a tune if you want to get rid of the CEL. Your car will run fine without it, but most people don't like having a check engine light on all the time.

Mbiro594

Established Member
Also how big of a sound difference for a O/R vs catted midpipe? Sorry for all the questions, but I know there is a lot of knowledge in this site to learn from

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
What's everyone's opinion on going with Kooks for the midpipe? They are 10 min from me and I get a 15% discount

I'm fairly sure Kooks only makes a mid pipe for their long tube headers. They don't have one that bolts to the factory manifolds.

Also how big of a sound difference for a O/R vs catted midpipe? Sorry for all the questions, but I know there is a lot of knowledge in this site to learn from

I haven't done this yet, but its on my short list. Most guys are sayin' there is big increase in sound level when removing the stock cats and going to an off road pipe, so much so that many prefer an axle back that is more on the quiet side because of the increased noise level.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think the lethal off road pipes are made by kooks. Kooks is a great brand.

When i went from the stock cats to a lethal off road h pipe, there was a significant increase in volume. However it was the good kind. im running the stock mufflers and there is no drone. I love the stock mufflers because low load, low rpms the car is quiet. Not silent but quiet for what she is. At WOT she sounds like a monster... and it sounds glorious! Only thing sweeter in my opinion would he headers with offroad h and stock mufflers.

tktlwyr

Established Member
I think the lethal off road pipes are made by kooks.

Unless they changed the manufacturer they have been using for last few years, that is a negative. I know the manufacturer.

When i went from the stock cats to a lethal off road h pipe, there was a significant increase in volume. However it was the good kind. im running the stock mufflers and there is no drone. I love the stock mufflers because low load, low rpms the car is quiet. Not silent but quiet for what she is. At WOT she sounds like a monster... and it sounds glorious! Only thing sweeter in my opinion would he headers with offroad h and stock mufflers.

The stock mufflers on the 2010 are LOUDER! They are not the same muffler the factory used on the '11s-'12s. I ran a high flow cat mid-pipe with the factory 2010 mufflers. Trust me. I went to a Magnaflow turbo style to quiet it down. My entire exhaust was changed to Kooks long tubes, off road mid-pipe with Ford Racing Parts M-5230-MSVTCA Touring mufflers which I think are made by Borla. This combination sounds perfect to my ears.

Mbiro594

Established Member
Ok should of specified... on the lethal h pipe, is there a big difference between their catted and non catted version?

Mbiro594

Established Member
Awesome stuff guys, going with a lethal o/r h pipe with their lund tune. I've decided on the Ngauge with the Roush AC vent pod and was wondering if the AC blowing will compromise the gauge over time?

Thanks

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
No, in fact it should keep it cool an thats a good thing.

Great choice on the ORH and Lund tune. I still think you should make the MGW Gen 2 shifter you next mod after!!!

Mbiro594

Established Member
No, in fact it should keep it cool an thats a good thing.

Great choice on the ORH and Lund tune. I still think you should make the MGW Gen 2 shifter you next mod after!!!

That will be ordered on the same day lol, I'm just hoping the ORH pipe is loud enough for me.

Mbiro594

Established Member
It's going to be loud enough with those ATAK mufflers for your neighbors to hate you, if that's what you're going for. LOL

If I do the H pipe everyone said to keep the stock mufflers. I was debating getting the Atak or doing an H pipe. What's your take?

tktlwyr

Established Member
If I do the H pipe everyone said to keep the stock mufflers. I was debating getting the Atak or doing an H pipe. What's your take?

I know its easy for everyone to spend your money, right? LOL

Power wise, off-road mid-pipe will give you more power and make the car louder. The 2010 mufflers are different than the mufflers on the '07-'09s, '11-'12s and the '13-'14s. I didn't like the sound being that loud and originally went with a MagnaFlow turbo style muffler to quiet it down. Do the off-road and adjust the sound with cat/axle back/weld-ins from there, if you aren't happy about the sound.

As long as Lund is doing a tune, do a pulley, new plugs and a cooler thermostat, too. You'll be pretty happy. This combo will net you about 70-80 RWHP and keep you around your budget.

You indicated ordering a shifter, too. This and some synthetic fluid will keep your transmission happy. I had a 2-3 scratch when power shifting that was eliminated with this combo.

The problem then becomes the summer NC heat. For the next round of mods, a dual fan heat exchanger will make the power consistently available. You'll see what I mean when the power drops off after running it hard once, maybe twice in a row if you're lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread