First (for me) Track testing the CJ intake manifold

Mike Rousch

Established Member
WOW!!! Congrats!!
Who's tune are you running?
Do you feel any loss of bit tend torque on the street?
Makes me want to trade mine in on a 14' auto since I can't seem to find a 6R80 to swap into mine.
Was that on 93 octane?

Thanks! To be honest it feels better to me on the street then the stock intake, I am sure the Circle D 5C helps with that a lot though, I am going to the track tomorrow with E85 and see what it does, The air should be much better then the last outing to. So we will see!

I do all my own tuning (Mid Atlantic Performance)

ExTurbo

Established Member
Strong mph, those auto's FLY im jealous of the track times but i still wouldnt give up rowing my own gears lol. th CJ intake will have to be the last hurrah for my N/A setup...what are you spinning the motor to if you dont mind me asking, i know most guys are saying 7500 at least with the shorter runner intakes. Coming from the pushrod (ls6 & ls2) crowd im still weary of spinning a stock motor that high

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Strong mph, those auto's FLY im jealous of the track times but i still wouldnt give up rowing my own gears lol. th CJ intake will have to be the last hurrah for my N/A setup...what are you spinning the motor to if you dont mind me asking, i know most guys are saying 7500 at least with the shorter runner intakes. Coming from the pushrod (ls6 & ls2) crowd im still weary of spinning a stock motor that high

So far so good going to 7700!

twistedneck

Established Member
Nice times that is some very nice cave air to help also. What rear tires? I like the shorter look are those 275/50/15?

I'm going to dyno mine before and after this December. Currently boss w/ 85 tb and jlt. going to cj intake and tb, Drew's 4.5" CAI - both Tunes AED. Thanks for the hard work and providing motivation.

BV600

Established Member
Are you shifting into second earlier (7100 versus 7700) to get to second and lock the converter faster?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Great job. Do you have some more pics that show your custom 5in cai

Steve_S

Established Member
Does this car still have the stock mufflers and over the axle pipes? How streetable is the 5c converter? I take it by stock gears, you mean 3.15's?
Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
How streetable is the 5c converter?
Thanks!

Steve

In 26yrs of modding cars I dont think I have ever seen a converter that wasn't "streetable" I have driven a 5000rpm stall non-lockup converter on the street with no issues. These are lockup converters they drive like stock once cruise speed is reached. sure they slip to around 3000-3200 during normal acceleration, but they are no less "streetable" than a stock converter.

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Nice times that is some very nice cave air to help also. What rear tires? I like the shorter look are those 275/50/15?

I'm going to dyno mine before and after this December. Currently boss w/ 85 tb and jlt. going to cj intake and tb, Drew's 4.5" CAI - both Tunes AED. Thanks for the hard work and providing motivation.

Thanks! yes they are 275/50's. Your going to run some great numbers with that set up!

What rpm/gear you crossing the line at? Gear ratio & tire size? Awesome runs btw.

Thanks! Tire size is 275/50's and stock 315 gears, crossing the strip right at 7700.

I know on the boss you need to go to a steeper gear. would a steeper gear be needed with this mani IYO?

To be honest I am not sure yet, I think if i were to go steeper it would be 4.30s or 4.56s. I may have a chance to test this out before the end of the year.

Are you shifting into second earlier (7100 versus 7700) to get to second and lock the converter faster?

I have tried a few different things with exactly that. It seems as of now at least, shifting at 7600 from 1-2 works the best. I went to another rental this past Friday so I still have to look through all the data logs to see.

Good times.

Thanks Sid:beer:

Great job. Do you have some more pics that show your custom 5in cai

I will post them up in a few minutes!

Does this car still have the stock mufflers and over the axle pipes? How streetable is the 5c converter? I take it by stock gears, you mean 3.15's?
Thanks!

Steve

Yes the car has stock mufflers and over the axle pipes, as mentioned below the 5C is completely streetable, Dont get me wrong, It takes a little while to get over how different the car feels, But once that is out the way you will love it!

In 26yrs of modding cars I dont think I have ever seen a converter that wasn't "streetable" I have driven a 5000rpm stall non-lockup converter on the street with no issues. These are lockup converters they drive like stock once cruise speed is reached. sure they slip to around 3000-3200 during normal acceleration, but they are no less "streetable" than a stock converter.

Agreed!

Mike Rousch

Established Member
After going to another rental this past Friday, I did end up going 11.16@122. I spent most of the day trying things that did not work, but still very happy about the times! I will post some more info and pics/vids once i get everything together in a few hours.

Steve_S

Established Member
Thanks for the info! I know just about anything can be driven on the street, I meant when the converter isn't locked, does the car still have good street manners in stop and go traffic. Your car is exactly what I want to do with mine, also a '14 GT auto. This thread is good stuff! Thanks again for taking the time.

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Thanks for the info! I know just about anything can be driven on the street, I meant when the converter isn't locked, does the car still have good street manners in stop and go traffic. Your car is exactly what I want to do with mine, also a '14 GT auto. This thread is good stuff! Thanks again for taking the time.

No problem! The best answer is its all in personal preference. Once I got over how different the car was and got used to it I love it. Every time I drive a stock converter A6 now I cant wait to get back in my car. I hope that helps you out with your decision!

4VFTW

Established Member

It feels strange for about a week

goat-ee

Established Member
I'm still getting used to the fact that these new 5.0 auto's run as hard as they do!?!? I come from the B-head 4-valves where it takes a lot to equal what these cars do basically stock. It floors me that guys like yourself are knocking on the door of 10's with so little mods. I mean not even a complete exhaust setup, or/x only. The CJ intake. Drag wheels/tires. Converter. Tune. WOW, JUST WOW!!! Basically anyone can repeat this setup and drive it everyday? Can that be right?!?!!?!?

I'll be checking back about every 30 minutes for the vids, can't wait to see more!!!

Last edited:

KrisR

Established Member
Excellent job on that 11.16 Mike, good to hear. How much do you think it has left in it without adding any other parts? I can't wait until next spring to get back out on a track! Keep me updated on your progress my friend!

By the way, I can highly recommend Mike for any tuning needs you have, especially with the automatic Coyote cars. He just has it dialed in. Mine runs fantastic. I have a 2011 GT with a Boss manifold, offroad x, Airaid CAI, Circle D 5C, and Mike's tuning and the car went 11.57 at 1300' DA with little 255/50-16 drag radials on it.

calebnumber3

Established Member
Im Really liking what you are doing with your car. im looking for mid to high 6's in the 1/8th (all we have that is close is a 1/8th mile) Still all stock with my 14 A6, went 8.21 last week, but im Going to go with 4:10's, 3C converter, AED tune, LT headers, Boss IM, and 28in ET streets. Already have most of these in the garage, waiting to see more testing on the CJ setup to decide if I want to sell the boss and go with the CJ. Your numbers have look good, and give me hope I can get to my goal

Stevem17500

Established Member
After going to another rental this past Friday, I did end up going 11.16@122. I spent most of the day trying things that did not work, but still very happy about the times! I will post some more info and pics/vids once i get everything together in a few hours.

There a guy on YouTube kdanner has ran 10.6 on all motor with 30 inch tall tire and 3.31 gear so if u do get a chance to test would be be nice congrats on on times

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread