first cobra

Flores8787

Established Member
new to this forum guys!
I just bought my 1st 03 cobra today convertible . bone stock, it even has the pulley cover on it :-D its grey with black top, it has 48000 miles on it. So I am ready to start modifying this cobra. what are some suggestions on where to start? and again this cobra is completely 100 % stock. So far I've noticed supercharger whine is NOT loud enough.. only getting about 5 psi on the gauge. Shifting light driving me crazy :rolling:
Thanks for all the input guys!!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats and welcome! Stock you should be making 8 psi or so. Intake, exhaust , and a 2.8 blower pulley would be a great start. With a tune of course. You'll also want a cooler spark plug such as ngk tr6 gapped at .032-.034 range. I'd recommend subframe connectors too.

Flores8787

Established Member
Thanks! Any suggestions on online stores where to buy mods?
For some reason the psi gauge needle doesn't go past the halfway point. Any ideas ? How can I check the Eaton's condition?
Thanks for you help!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'd check Cobra Bob FAQ. Plenty of good info. There are vendors on here as well that could hook you up.

https://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

This and besides vendors here you can find deals in the market just check feedback. I also recommend a IRS brace at minimum. But would do a FRPP cover instead. As well as at least differential bushings while your back there. Welcome post pics.

TxCobra76

Established Member
Congrats on a new horse to your stable. As stated pulley, exhaust,cai is a must! Enjoy your new hot rod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations on getting your first Terminator. You probably have Dark Shadow Gray paint, but it could be Mineral Gray. They look similar from a distance.

Definitely browse through my Terminator FAQs.

If you're noticing any noise coming from your shifter (common), pick up one of my Shifter Gasket Kits. You'll be very pleased with how it quiets down your shifter. Go HERE for more info.

I recommend that you take it slow with mods. You're going to find that the modifications available are staggering, so be very sure of what your goals/needs are (and your budget) before you jump in. :) Typically the buyer of a stock Terminator starts with an aftermarket shifter (shorter throw and crisper shifts), catback, midpipe (X or H-pipe), intake (JLT cold air intake is very popular), lowering springs (to get rid of the dreaded factory 4X4 look), IRS brace, and Full Tilt Boogie IRS bushing kit. Next step is usually a smaller blower pulley (2.90 recommended), 4-piece idler kit (stock idlers are stamped steel and can burst when over-spinning the blower) and dyno tune.

Enjoy your Cobra. When you upgrade the pulley & idlers and add a factory tune, you're going to jump to 430-450rwhp and 440-470rwtq depending on your tune and fuel octane. And trust me, the difference is going to put a serious grin on your face as the factory power/torque is in the 370 range at the wheels.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Congrats and welcome! Stock you should be making 8 psi or so. Intake, exhaust , and a 2.8 blower pulley would be a great start. With a tune of course. You'll also want a cooler spark plug such as ngk tr6 gapped at .032-.034 range. I'd recommend subframe connectors too.

I second the subframe connectors. Made a huge difference on my coupe. Should make a world of a difference for your vert . Congrats on the car man hope you enjoy it! :beer:

sonic_whine2003

Car Crazy
Established Member
First figure out exactly how far do you want to take it....Don't waste your money on doing a pulley, porting, etc.. etc.. if you eventually want bigger power....just save and do exactly what u want from the beginning....Now if u know u will be happy with 500ish hp and know u will not need more then go for it............If your not sure then do what I did and use your money now to make it look good an handle better with wheels/tires, subframe connectors, lowering springs, camber casters, exhaust....then when u decide what u want power wise then do it. I finally decided I want to be in the 600+ range esp. after loosing to a cobalt ss so I just ordered everything I need except for the S/C still deciding on VMP Gen2 or Kenne Bell. Id go VMP 100% if I could get it polished but I cant so KB is still in the hunt!

Franco

Established Member
I second the subframe connectors. Made a huge difference on my coupe. Should make a world of a difference for your vert . Congrats on the car man hope you enjoy it! :beer:

Agreed. Subframe connectors were best mod and prob the cheapest

Flores8787

Established Member
So after driving the cobra for the 1st week, I'm definitely getting smiles per gallon not miles per gallon :D
Big change from my small GTI.
However I've noticed I'm not that impressed by this stock cobra. I just don't get the feel of the eaton.
So Iam thinking of taking it to a performance shop , just to double check everything is in order.

simpsvt97

"SNAKE"
Established Member
Congrats. Def get welded subframe connectors and I'd get a C&L 95MM MAF. I have one and she loves it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're driving a stock Cobra so it doesn't surprise me that you were expecting more "seat of the pants" power. Assuming you're not looking for 500+ rwhp, a simple pulley swap (2.90 or 2.76), auxiliary idler, and tune (maybe catback/midpipe/throttle body) will put a definite smile on your face! And suspension mods, of course.

Take any modding above the basics slowly because these cars have a reputation for being money magnets. LOL.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Congrats on the new Terminator!! ... an upper pulley (2.76" or 2.93") will wake up the car & SC...make sure to get a good tune!

Users who are viewing this thread