Finally got the Whipple off - how does this look?

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I have used cans of Brake Cleaner, Simple Green solution soak, and Purple Power solution soak on different blowers. The Purple Power/hot water solution soak overnight then direct spray with PP and agitation worked best for me.

hotcobra03

Established Member
You could feel a power difference? I know in theory it cools better without that oily mess but I've yet to feel a seat of the pants difference in any of the cars I've cleaned.

OP that's entirely normal. Obviously the fluids in the lower cooler were spilled when removing the blower. The only way to not get that oily mess again is to delete the PCV system. Catch cans will slow it down but it still happens, just takes much longer.

You can spray cans of carb cleaner through the intercooler (removed from the blower) and let running water from a garden hose gently flush it out between cans. Usually takes about 5 cans. My preferred way is to soak the intercooler in a bucket and agitate once in a while. Easier and comes out looking like brand new.

btw this is exactly why my PCV system is deleted.
When I did mine @200k area I noticed a difference in response. .I have to assume mine was very dirty due to head issue..I had oil dripping out throttlebody.

As to cleaning..I'm going to try dawn..

I had just rebuilt my rear..I had set rear into a tub full of water and dawn dish soap..let sit till new parts arrived..
When I pulled rear from tub it was 100% spotless..it looked new..I was amazed

MalcolmV8

Established Member
When I did mine @200k area I noticed a difference in response. .I have to assume mine was very dirty due to head issue..I had oil dripping out throttlebody.

Perhaps your core was partially clogged. I could see unrestricted air flow improving your throttle response.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You could feel a power difference? I know in theory it cools better without that oily mess but I've yet to feel a seat of the pants difference in any of the cars I've cleaned.

OP that's entirely normal. Obviously the fluids in the lower cooler were spilled when removing the blower. The only way to not get that oily mess again is to delete the PCV system. Catch cans will slow it down but it still happens, just takes much longer.

You can spray cans of carb cleaner through the intercooler (removed from the blower) and let running water from a garden hose gently flush it out between cans. Usually takes about 5 cans. My preferred way is to soak the intercooler in a bucket and agitate once in a while. Easier and comes out looking like brand new.

btw this is exactly why my PCV system is deleted.
I totally agree with Malcomb. This is actually pretty normal.

Users who are viewing this thread