Final Destination in real life.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I still have a scar on my right forearm from a sheered off cotter-pin that broke off the door latch on the "Zipper" many years ago. Damn door flew open in the middle of our ride and we're screaming for the carney to stop the ride while we're manually holding the door shut! Carney finally brought the ride to a stop and we were able to fall out of the car/cage. I showed the carney my bleeding arm and he sent me to a first aid tent. Hell I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time so I didn't think nothing of it back then.

U.M.

zipper2.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my dad is a high level inspector with NAARSO, the big theme parks put a lot of money into inspections and maintenance so Im not too worried about them. To hell with these fair rides though

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
this ride was inspected prior to the start of the fair and the accident took place on opening day. so much for the inspection.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Yeah, I'm afraid I might have to do the same thing. She's gonna be pissed. But better to be pissed, than dead.

Maybe showing her the video and the story will help your case. We have a fair coming up....I will definitely share the video with my 11 year old daredevil daughter before then.

Kiohtee

Established Member
my dad is a high level inspector with NAARSO, the big theme parks put a lot of money into inspections and maintenance so Im not too worried about them. To hell with these fair rides though

this ride was inspected prior to the start of the fair and the accident took place on opening day. so much for the inspection.

You're missing the point. I understand general skepticism about amusement park rides, but you can't rightfully and/or logically classify places like Disney, Six Flags, Carowinds, etc. under the same tent as a state/county/municipal fair. Actual amusement parks are held to a much higher standard when it comes to maintenance and inspections than a fair such as this.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Not missing the point at all, I understand and can appreciate what you are saying, however, my point is the inspection is only as good as the person conducting the inspection.

Zemedici

Established Member
You're missing the point. I understand general skepticism about amusement park rides, but you can't rightfully and/or logically classify places like Disney, Six Flags, Carowinds, etc. under the same tent as a state/county/municipal fair. Actual amusement parks are held to a much higher standard when it comes to maintenance and inspections than a fair such as this.

I think y'all are saying the same thing.

Fair rides = shit compared to actual amusement parks ie Six Flags, Disney, Universal, etc.

All comes down to QC. And Fairs arent exactly known for 'quality' anything. hahahaha

Kiohtee

Established Member
I think y'all are saying the same thing.

Fair rides = shit compared to actual amusement parks ie Six Flags, Disney, Universal, etc.

All comes down to QC. And Fairs arent exactly known for 'quality' anything. hahahaha

He (Murder Snake) isn't saying the same thing. He's implying that this ride was checked out prior to fair operation whereas the same would apply to all rides at other venues. That's simply not the case.

Yes lazy and unmotivated people exist in all forms of work, but you can rest assured you're getting a much better quality inspection with a company that oversees million dollar amusement parks.

Zemedici

Established Member
He (Murder Snake) isn't saying the same thing. He's implying that this ride was checked out prior to fair operation whereas the same would apply to all rides at other venues. That's simply not the case.

Yes lazy and unmotivated people exist in all forms of work, but you can rest assured you're getting a much better quality inspection with a company that oversees million dollar amusement parks.

ahhhhh i see it now

@Murder Snake do you think the inspections conducted at the fair are the same quality as ACTUAL amusement parks, ie six flags?

Kiohtee

Established Member
ahhhhh i see it now

@Murder Snake do you think the inspections conducted at the fair are the same quality as ACTUAL amusement parks, ie six flags?

His argument is that the inspection is only as good the person performing it, which while true, I'd imagine more than one person inspects a single ride at a facility such as Six Flags, Carowinds, etc. The liability on the line is just too great to do it any other way.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I still have a scar on my right forearm from a sheered off cotter-pin that broke off the door latch on the "Zipper" many years ago.

zipper2.jpg

Did you happen to see they recently retired this ride?

They're either no longer building them, or even operating them... not sure which.

If the latter, it's due to a lack of parts.

I only remember that because the Zippers the big ride at our little county fair and the story about it foing away made the newspaper.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I loved the Zipper. Was a hell of a time provided you were good enough to get it rocking!

MG0h3

Established Member
Last ride I went on was that deal with the single person swings hanging off the 20' or so chains. The machine elevates up and down as it spins you. Somehow the operator oscillated the speed and elevation too much and we were all slamming into each other. It got so bad that all the tension would come off the chain and then it would snap tight after you landed on the person in front of you. I was scared shitless and at 215lbs I was sure I was going to snap the little chains. Never again.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
That's an unfortunate occurrence right there. How often does something like this happen though? I haven't been on a fair ride in my adult life but loved them as a kid. This wouldn't detour me from riding a fair ride if I so desired.

On another note my nieces and I enjoyed our trip to Magic Springs a couple weekends ago, rode 5 roller coasters and loved every minute of it. I may go back again in a few weeks.

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
Carnies...small hands..smells of cabbage. Whoever was contracted for that fair will go bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread