Final Destination in real life.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
this ride was inspected prior to the start of the fair and the accident took place on opening day. so much for the inspection.

yeah i read that as well in addition to inspecting over 70 rides? probably just half ass flew through the inspections.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
last time i went on rides like this was at the LA County fair probably 15 years ago, or more. i was scared shitless at how we were dangling in the air with just a thin bar holding us in our seats. after that i said no more big carnival rides. ill go on six flags/disney all day long but not that carnie assembled crap.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I agree, you can't compare these rolling pieces of junk to the rides at major amusement parks. Nothing is a guarantee, but I trust the rides at Disney 100x more than these carnival rides. I have let my 11yr old daughter ride some of them over the years, but nothing like that thing and I actually might not let her ride any carnival rides after this. She is fearless and will ride anything so it's up to me to keep her in check.

As far as the "Inspection", it was probably mailed in, sped through, or palms greased.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I'm shocked that there was only one casualty. That looked like some serious shit!!

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
God damn, imagine that was your child flying out of the ride. ****. Those mother****ers should never be allowed to operate a carnival, ever.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm shocked that there was only one casualty. That looked like some serious shit!!

I would wager there are more than a few people that will hurt for the rest of their lives, and maybe not be able to walk right.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Assuming the person with the jacked up leg isn't the one who died, and I don't think they were, yeah, that's a safe bet.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think the guy that died is the one that looked to be flying the furthest without a seat. He was set up to go to boot and become a Marine. May he rest in peace.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I see it was already posted that the ride was inspected after this set up, apparently different states have different rules about inspections and how often they happen. Some states require an inspection every time the ride is set up, others only the first time they're set up within that state.

I asked my dad about this the other day (again, hes a certified level 3 ride inspector), he said at this point the cause of the failure is unknown so you can't place blame at this point. The company that manufactures the ride has ordered every one of them around the world out of service until they find out what went wrong. It could be a maintenance item that was ignored, it could be a failure point that was previously unknown. He told me how they had finished a big inspection on a ride at a theme park and just after a wheel assembly on a coaster basically exploded (nobody was hurt). It was determined the part failed from the inside out with no exterior signs

_Snake_

Established Member
The quality of an inspection is always dependent on the same two things: the person conducting the inspection and the nature of the inspection itself (for example, a visual inspection vs an x-ray to look for fractures).

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Based on conversations I've had with my father I don't believe X-ray inspections are common place, they certainly aren't happening whenever a fair comes to town.

Svt4ever22

Established Member
Looks like it slams into the bottom platform. They mention the operator hit the emergency stop, due to complaints of the ride speed. Maybe the platform raised prematurely.

dtd01svt

Established Member
I believe something like this just happened at a fair at Ohio State

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Did you happen to see they recently retired this ride?

They're either no longer building them, or even operating them... not sure which.

If the latter, it's due to a lack of parts.

I only remember that because the Zippers the big ride at our little county fair and the story about it going away made the newspaper.
I was unaware this ride was being retired.

The Zipper was always the main "Thrill" ride at the annual "Expo" which was held in the parking lot of our mall in Lansing, MI every summer when I was a kid.

U.M.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Someone earlier said theirs was still operating at their fair.

I'm thinking the article I saw previously was only referencing the local fair Zipper being retired.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
It is kind of funny listening to a bunch of people who daily beat on the most infamously "dangerous" car to drive talk about how dangerous these rides are. Like I get it. There are dangers with these rides. Certainly there are. Probably moreso on the fair level. Every once in a rare blue moon you hear of something bad happening. Perhaps not as bad as this example. But you likely have a far greater chance of getting killed while driving your cars than you do riding those rides. And perhaps not even because you drive your car more than you ride those rides. But because there are more variables to consider when driving our cars. Especially if you drive them with any sort of spirit.

I mean let's be fair and put things into a realistic perspective.

You push these sorts of cars, because we all love them, but why then be so petrified and negative about these rides? It just sounds so reactive and political. It's the type of reaction of a single isolated event that feeds the exaggerated fears of just about everything in this world these days.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
It is kind of funny listening to a bunch of people who daily beat on the most infamously "dangerous" car to drive talk about how dangerous these rides are. Like I get it. There are dangers with these rides. Certainly there are. Probably moreso on the fair level. Every once in a rare blue moon you hear of something bad happening. Perhaps not as bad as this example. But you likely have a far greater chance of getting killed while driving your cars than you do riding those rides. And perhaps not even because you drive your car more than you ride those rides. But because there are more variables to consider when driving our cars. Especially if you drive them with any sort of spirit.

I mean let's be fair and put things into a realistic perspective.

You push these sorts of cars, because we all love them, but why then be so petrified and negative about these rides? It just sounds so reactive and political. It's the type of reaction of a single isolated event that feeds the exaggerated fears of just about everything in this world these days.

While your post is true you're missing one very important point, control. When you strap into a carnival ride you have none.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread