Feeler: 03 black 600hp cobra

cclark

Established Member
Mommy and Daddy said you couldn't spend anymore $ on your car? Or they said " if you can afford to paint the car you can afford to give us rent"?

They just said I couldn't spend anymore money on my car since I had spent so much already and that my next big purchase needs to be a house and I needed to save my money instead of dumping more into the car. And yes they mentioned that, about I would start paying rent if I wanted to keep spending money on my car, but they didn't wanna see me piss my money away on my car or rent when I could be saving it all for a house. I understood and decided I should sell to get even more money because seeing that 20% down is a crazy amount to have saved up

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Lol. I sold my 19k mile, original owner, fully built solid rear/auto, terminator that was 10/10 throughout, twin screwed to 600rwhp, for $22k. Guess I should have asked for $3k more for ricer billet interior mods. Lol

mysteed

Established Member
I never saw the car, but there are always two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle is the truth. (And the seller, being a Leo, should know this first hand) Most buyers these days want the extra eyes on their purchase and some things checked out. Whenever we are looking to buy something and we are so close to getting it, we go partially blind and want to jump to handing over money. Having someone else that doesn't have a vested interest in the deal can bring people back down to earth and talk about things rationally.

This is so true for me that I dopn't even know where to begin agreeing with you. On my BAB, I had the word of a few people that the car I was looking to get out in TX was a great deal but in the end after 13hrs of trailering my 4v swapped GT there all I was staring at was a lot more work than was promised. Heck, little did I realize that I'd be going through EVERY single part on the car and replacing it, let alone spend almost 10,000 in getting it back to being a running driving car.

To everyone who is actively looking at purchasing a vehicle, please go and have it inspected by a reputable 3rd party. Not only will this save you from inheriting someone elses headaches, it'll save you tons of money and time down the road.

edit:
Link to my build thread with all the hell that I went through:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/731639-saving-1998-bab-cobra.html

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
If seller refuses to have the car looked at by someone u are hiring or trust walk away NO RUN!!!!!!!

jhoward

Established Member
You not knowing how many owners there were when you bought the car has nothing to do with when you sold it to me. When I asked you how many owners there were and I DID ask, you said you, Logan, a guy before him and other than that you didn't know, no assuming involved. But you did know because you had a copy of the carfax report showing how many owners. I don't care how many owners there were because as I said before the car is extremely clean and I am happy with my purchase. It was the fact that you acted like you didn't know and that makes a person wonder what else you said might be questionable. You did tell me that you didn't install HID headlights and I know your ad didn't say they came with but you said on the phone that you would let them go with the car. When we got there I asked you about them and you said "I can't find them, maybe I sent them back." You said nothing about not going with the car. You are correct I did make a mistake on the billet accessories, I only have the receipt for MGW and not all of the items you purchased are on it.
As far as the dents there is a crease in the left rear quarter panel that all 3 of us seen as soon as we walked in your garage. It's not big but it is there no denying, and I'm not talking about the rolling of the quarter area. You did answer a lot of questions and spent a lot of time on the phone (which I don't feel is too much to ask when someone is considering paying you 25K for a 10 yr old car). If you could get off you your "high horse" for a moment, you would see that I did compliment the car for being well kept and being well built with top notch parts. And I did say I am pleased with my purchase and very happy with the car. As far as negative shit talking, I am simply stating the truth, you seem to be the real mudslinger here. As far as a compression test at this point I only checked a few cylinders and all of them were the same 130-140lbs. I didn't feel it was necessary to
check compression because I can hear the engine cranking evenly. No low cylinders, anti-freeze level ok, oil level 1/2 qt low but no crank case milkshake. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I have been running it and working on it and I am confident the motor is fine. The car has received many compliments and I look forward to driving it. At this point I'm glad I bought it and it is what it is.

cclark

Established Member
I'm not sitting on any high horse here Jesse, I am simply referring to the negative aspects you spoke of above and I swear you never came out and asked me how many owners there were, if you did I would've told you 7. I didn't lie I act like I didn't know, I simply too you about what was done to the car and those (mostly just Logan and getting dynospeed to put it together etc. and some guy before him putting the wheels and tires on) and then you took that into an assumption and told your wife I said there were 3 owners. Not once, never, on the phone did I say 'I didn't know' when referring to owners and never did you ask 'how many owners?'

I'm not slinging any mud or being shitty or whatever else. Yes, I know I mentioned the HIDS hi/lows but like i stated on the phone, I didn't install them and honestly if they were in the box I would've said go ahead and take that with the car, but the fogs were installed and included and weren't even in the ad. So the headlights are the only thing semi different than what I stated, and that's still sketchy and not in stone.

Glad you like it and I did see how you said above you are glad with your purchase but what was more noticeable was the fact you said if you would've seen this thread you would've walked away from the car. But never the less, glad you checked the compression and they all matched, I knew the car didn't need it and was fine but that's good. Have fun with the car and take care of her. Be safe.

pabaker

Established Member
I saw the car yesterday, it is a nice car with a TON of aftermarket parts. After reading the 3 threads about the car I would have second guessed buying it myself. Glad all worked out for both parties.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

You not knowing how many owners there were when you bought the car has nothing to do with when you sold it to me. When I asked you how many owners there were and I DID ask, you said you, Logan, a guy before him and other than that you didn't know, no assuming involved. But you did know because you had a copy of the carfax report showing how many owners. I don't care how many owners there were because as I said before the car is extremely clean and I am happy with my purchase. It was the fact that you acted like you didn't know and that makes a person wonder what else you said might be questionable. You did tell me that you didn't install HID headlights and I know your ad didn't say they came with but you said on the phone that you would let them go with the car. When we got there I asked you about them and you said "I can't find them, maybe I sent them back." You said nothing about not going with the car. You are correct I did make a mistake on the billet accessories, I only have the receipt for MGW and not all of the items you purchased are on it.
As far as the dents there is a crease in the left rear quarter panel that all 3 of us seen as soon as we walked in your garage. It's not big but it is there no denying, and I'm not talking about the rolling of the quarter area. You did answer a lot of questions and spent a lot of time on the phone (which I don't feel is too much to ask when someone is considering paying you 25K for a 10 yr old car). If you could get off you your "high horse" for a moment, you would see that I did compliment the car for being well kept and being well built with top notch parts. And I did say I am pleased with my purchase and very happy with the car. As far as negative shit talking, I am simply stating the truth, you seem to be the real mudslinger here. As far as a compression test at this point I only checked a few cylinders and all of them were the same 130-140lbs. I didn't feel it was necessary to
check compression because I can hear the engine cranking evenly. No low cylinders, anti-freeze level ok, oil level 1/2 qt low but no crank case milkshake. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet but I have been running it and working on it and I am confident the motor is fine. The car has received many compliments and I look forward to driving it. At this point I'm glad I bought it and it is what it is.

Not to alarm either party, but did you do this test with the car warmed up? Were all the plugs out? Was the tbody blade open when running the test?

how was it done?

Depending on these aspects, those numbers may be ok or may be low. Typically with a warmed up engine and test done with spark plugs out and tbody blade open, you will see numbers in the 160-180 range on these cars. I know it is a different motor. I don't recall what the compression was or head/cam stuff, but I find it hard to believe they would be that low.

jhoward

Established Member
engine was cold, 1 plug out at a time, tb was closed, i turned motor over 3 revolutions. the cams are supposed to be stock. don't know comp. or of head work.

TRBO VNM

ok, then I would redo the test and test all cylinders. Just because a few look good and engine sounds fine, does not mean all cylinders are ok.

Warm car up to operating temp
Remove all plugs
Remove fuel pump fuse
If you have battery charger, throw that on there

hold throttle open when cranking car, so clutch and gas pedal will be depressed

Report back

mysteed

Established Member
ok, then I would redo the test and test all cylinders. Just because a few look good and engine sounds fine, does not mean all cylinders are ok.

Warm car up to operating temp
Remove all plugs
Remove fuel pump fuse
If you have battery charger, throw that on there

hold throttle open when cranking car, so clutch and gas pedal will be depressed

Report back
+1 This is the correct way to check compression.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Wow, this sale just won't end. I do understand all sides and that's why you have the option to walk away. Some people just don't understand buying built cars is totally different from stock cars. Lots of things should went differently. Car is sold with no warranty. Buyer seems to be happy. If car has 5 dead cylinders its sold. I think if your buying a built car and don't know what your looking at stay away. Most will perform their own inspection when buying (I know I do) good luck to all and enjoy the car, new house and life as a whole

Users who are viewing this thread