factory fuel pumps

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Was wondering if anyone could tell me what/where I would buy factory replacement fuel pumps. I am dropping the tank to do the PPRV delete and I figured while I'm in there I might as well replace the 20 year old pumps. Not trying to get it retuned so just want to stick with factory. Does anyone know what they came with and who sells direct replacements so I don't have to mess with anything else? thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
JMO, but if you're doing the PPRV delete then you're thinking about more power. I would set up to the GT pumps at that point. Nothing needs to be retuned for them to work.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I just talked to the tuner and he said if i am not getting a retune or at least put it on a dyno to check, he recommends replacing the PPRV. Would this make sense? If so where does a guy buy one of those? My cars suddenly starting falling on its face for a second on hard shifts, then pulls hard. Some say to delete but then the car could be running rich. He told me absolutely not to change fuel pumps without getting it checked.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you ever log the duty cycle like mentioned in your other post?

Removing the PPRV won't cause the car to suddenly start running rich. The PPRV is there to relieve some extra pressure as well as keep pressure in the line after shutting the car off so it starts quicker and keeps people happy. The PPRV delete was the quick fix to getting rid of the shift hesitation. However, you mentioned the hesitation is something new. So it could be a failing pump.

I ran GT pumps with no PPRV in my car for a few months before I finally got around to tuning it.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member

Removing the PPRV won't cause the car to suddenly start running rich. The PPRV is there to relieve some extra pressure as well as keep pressure in the line after shutting the car off so it starts quicker and keeps people happy. The PPRV delete was the quick fix to getting rid of the shift hesitation. However, you mentioned the hesitation is something new. So it could be a failing pump.

I ran GT pumps with no PPRV in my car for a few months before I finally got around to tuning it.
I do have a handheld for the lightning I used and had to datalog for the tuner on that one. Not sure if I can use the same program? I had this car tuned in 2003 and it has never been touched since. Hell i wouldn't even know what I would be looking for. I know it is sad but was always good with the mechanical aspect, never dealt with tuning.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member

and maybe it is time I find someone who can tune remotely, I had it done down at HPP racing when I lived in texas. It has a chip that plugs into the ECU it is so old. :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I do have a handheld for the lightning I used and had to datalog for the tuner on that one. Not sure if I can use the same program? I had this car tuned in 2003 and it has never been touched since. Hell i wouldn't even know what I would be looking for. I know it is sad but was always good with the mechanical aspect, never dealt with tuning.
If it's an SCT hand held you can use it to log the Cobra. It's definitely worth learning how to log. You can use it to troubleshoot down the road.

You'll need a hand held and wideband if you go remote. However if this is the first time you've had an issue I'd try to fix it and leave the tune alone.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
If it's an SCT hand held you can use it to log the Cobra. It's definitely worth learning how to log. You can use it to troubleshoot down the road.

You'll need a hand held and wideband if you go remote. However if this is the first time you've had an issue I'd try to fix it and leave the tune alone.
ok,I do have a wideband on there. Probably time to replace the 02 sensor on it though. Just wondering if that valve just starts getting bad one day or how that works. So I can hook up the SCT tuner from my lightning and datalog the same way. What would I be looking for as indicators for what my problem would be?

01yellercobra

Established Member
For fuel stuff I usually watch fuel pump duty cycle, pressure drop across the injectors, and voltage. Low voltage will make it hard for the pumps to keep up even if they're good. Usually if the pumps are failing, you'll see a rise in FPDC and pressure across the injectors will drop.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
rockauto.com I purchased the Carter P76130s pumps its a direct bolt on

I just got done installing this unit. Everything was good to go for me BUT the fuel level sending unit which came broken and looked to be some of China’s finer junk. Fortunately the stock unit bolted right up.

I was kinda surprised at how good of shape my stock fuel socks were in. 117k on the daily driver and they looked barely used.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
ok,I do have a wideband on there. Probably time to replace the 02 sensor on it though. Just wondering if that valve just starts getting bad one day or how that works. So I can hook up the SCT tuner from my lightning and datalog the same way. What would I be looking for as indicators for what my problem would be?
PPRV is a one way check valve. If it goes bad, your engine will get no fuel. That is all that could happen if it goes “bad”. Never heard of them failing though. Usually the line cracks or bursts and that is the issue.

The point of them is to keep fuel pressure in the lines for a quick start up. If not you will have to crank for an extra 3-5 seconds or until fuel fills the line again. During WOT hits, the pumps are pumping lots of fuel, then you let off to shift, the pumps take a second to adjust, that is the hesitation you are feeling. No tuning is needed for a PPRV delete.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
JMO, but if you're doing the PPRV delete then you're thinking about more power. I would set up to the GT pumps at that point. Nothing needs to be retuned for them to work.
Incorrect. The fuel pump voltage tables need to be changed along with the extra power the pumps draw, would need a modded FPDM or better yet, dual FPDM's to work properly

01yellercobra

Established Member
Incorrect. The fuel pump voltage tables need to be changed along with the extra power the pumps draw, would need a modded FPDM or better yet, dual FPDM's to work properly

Maybe it's the difference with the new pumps versus the old. I ran the old style GT pumps with a stock FPDM and a wire upgrade for years with no issues. I also plugged them into my 01 without a retune and they worked fine. I also ran them in my 04 with a Bama tune that came with the car. I doubt they changed the voltage table.

Though the next time I tweaked my tune I did load the GT pump value files.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The proper way to do it is to log all the voltages "Key On, Engine Off" and plug them into the voltage tables cell by cell. But the value file works good. If you want the feed forward to be correct, you should change them.

Users who are viewing this thread