F1A-R or possibly the 4.0 Whipple on Terminator??? Info needed please!

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
Hey guys I am looking to make some more power with my cobra. Its a 2003 with the Boss 5.0 Block, JE pistons, Full stroker kit, Stage 3 heads and XE stage 3 cams and ect... I currently have the KB 2.8 H on that I will be selling. I have been looking at everything from the procharger F1A through the F1R Cog race setup with bov, to the Whipple 4.0, possibly the 3.4 down to the 2.8 Mammoth by KB. I know that Turbo is probably the best for what I want but do not have the funds for that setup. Iv talked to a few shops and Venders. Of course they all say that theirs is the best. Im wanting to stay with 93 octane with possibly the torco additive. E85 is not available to me where I live unfortunately. So i am probably stuck at around 17 18 psi. My current setup is making 705 at the wheels on 93 done by SGS automotive in PA. I know everyone is going to say the whipple 4.0 is too big for the cobra's but whipple is reassuring me that it is not with the built engine. I also know with the procharger is a complicated setup requiring more parts to complete setup. I am looking for the most power that I can with the octane that I will be running. Please leave negative comments to yourselves if anyone has any. Some say I am dumb for wanting more power but o well. Just seeing what people seem to say about the best setup In their opinion. Thanks

95PGTTech

Established Member
The turbo is by far the best setup out of anything mentioned. With the money you have tied up into the car and the setups you're talking about, you're joking about a budget...right?

How much more power do you want to make on 93 octane than 705whp with a 300 inch motor? Seriously? Are you running 8 degrees of timing? Another guy just focused on the big dyno number.

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
The turbo is by far the best setup out of anything mentioned. With the money you have tied up into the car and the setups you're talking about, you're joking about a budget...right?

How much more power do you want to make on 93 octane than 705whp with a 300 inch motor? Seriously? Are you running 8 degrees of timing? Another guy just focused on the big dyno number.

... For a good turbo kit with all parts and install is thousands over what a Whipple or KB would be to put on. My cruisin buddy "Ruthless" from on here is doing a single turbo so I know how much it would cost. Like iv said, I know turbo is the way to go but I cant on my budget right now. And as far as the tune, SGS is a very reputable company and my wideband is at a solid 10.7 10.8

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My advice is to just wait. You make a ton of power already. Throw a smaller pulley on what you have and run 110 oct for a race tune. Or live the power that you have now until you save up enough for a TT setup or a single turbo setup. Why do things twice or three times when you can do it once and right the first time with just saving some more money :). I hope this helps you out.

95PGTTech

Established Member
... For a good turbo kit with all parts and install is thousands over what a Whipple or KB would be to put on. My cruisin buddy "Ruthless" from on here is doing a single turbo so I know how much it would cost. Like iv said, I know turbo is the way to go but I cant on my budget right now. And as far as the tune, SGS is a very reputable company and my wideband is at a solid 10.7 10.8

What does your AFRs have anything to do with my question about your base and computer advanced timing? You're going to end up with a car that makes a big dyno number and driveability like shit on the road you seem to want to travel...if you're not already there.

There is only so much power to be had on 93 octane as you are fighting detonation. You can't change the laws of physics, and that heat generating PD blower isn't helping any.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What does your AFRs have anything to do with my question about your base and computer advanced timing? You're going to end up with a car that makes a big dyno number and driveability like shit on the road you seem to want to travel...if you're not already there.

There is only so much power to be had on 93 octane as you are fighting detonation. You can't change the laws of physics, and that heat generating PD blower isn't helping any.

Being at only 16psi I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's running about 19-22 degrees of timing or so. 16psi is nothing for 93 that's like for if he was running 91.. To the op do one of two things. Get a smaller pulley for 21-22lbs of boost and run 110oct when you wanna feel a the power, or keep what you have now and wait to buy a turbo..

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
Being at only 16psi I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's running about 19-22 degrees of timing or so. 16psi is nothing for 93 that's like for if he was running 91.. To the op do one of two things. Get a smaller pulley for 21-22lbs of boost and run 110oct when you wanna feel a the power, or keep what you have now and wait to buy a turbo..

i think i need to sell my fox lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't go that far as to selling a car for a turbo kit. I'm dead serious man just up the boost and throw some race gas you'll be good to go.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
My advice is to just wait. You make a ton of power already. Throw a smaller pulley on what you have and run 110 oct for a race tune. Or live the power that you have now until you save up enough for a TT setup or a single turbo setup. Why do things twice or three times when you can do it once and right the first time with just saving some more money :). I hope this helps you out.

X2.

How is the drivability on the car now? Has to be tough to put that kind of power to the street. Just try to "survive" on 700 horsepower till you can get a turbo system, lol. There are tons of kits used floating around the internet, just have money, and jump on one when you see it.......

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
X2.

How is the drivability on the car now? Has to be tough to put that kind of power to the street. Just try to "survive" on 700 horsepower till you can get a turbo system, lol. There are tons of kits used floating around the internet, just have money, and jump on one when you see it.......

Traction is not too bad, I run 305 MT ET's and hook decently. I would love to have a set of AFS 18's and run the 315 or maybe if they would fit with the lowering springs the 325's

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
I'd say procharger but I'm partial. What kind of compression is in the motor you have? A centri with like 9.1-9.5:1 would rock out

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
I'd say procharger but I'm partial. What kind of compression is in the motor you have? A centri with like 9.1-9.5:1 would rock out

The car is out at the shop now which is 1 1/2 hour away. Ill look at the sheets from SGS when I get her back. I was hoping that you would chime in since your one of the only ones iv seen with the procharger on here!

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
Why not up the boot and run a meth kit?

I had the same decisions as you, my tuners all wanted turbo, and if I was buildign from the ground up, I would turbo, but my car has always been a f1a car, so I wanted to keep the heritage to sacrifice some power...

I was/am running 22-23 psi on the F1a 8 rib setup running a meth kit

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
Why not up the boot and run a meth kit?

I had the same decisions as you, my tuners all wanted turbo, and if I was buildign from the ground up, I would turbo, but my car has always been a f1a car, so I wanted to keep the heritage to sacrifice some power...

I was/am running 22-23 psi on the F1a 8 rib setup running a meth kit

Hey, can I ask what power you putting down with that setup? Thanks!

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Cool. I'm going turbo, but I'm starting from scratch. Nothing wrong with Prochargers, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a kit. Love the sound of them!!

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
Hey, can I ask what power you putting down with that setup? Thanks!

On nothing but a forged bottom end and stock heads/cams everything else, it was in the 6xx range. But, I had issues through that whole motor...

I'll let you know the results as soon as I get the new motor in..... 5.1 stroker with built everything and done heads/cams... should be well into the 7's or low 8's...

EDIT- I made more power on pump and meth than running 108....

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
On nothing but a forged bottom end and stock heads/cams everything else, it was in the 6xx range. But, I had issues through that whole motor...

I'll let you know the results as soon as I get the new motor in..... 5.1 stroker with built everything and done heads/cams... should be well into the 7's or low 8's...

EDIT- I made more power on pump and meth than running 108....

Keep me updated!!! Seems like we will have about the same motor and mods, Will be interesting to see what she does! The sound is amazing esp with that big old red bov!

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
im running 21psi on pump 93, i should be around mid 600s with my bone stock motor but my clutch went out and i never got a chance to run it on the dyno. im running the cogged setup so i got no belt slip which is sweet

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
id keep your setup you got, you make great power on pump gas and a blower, like others said swap the pulley out if you wanna get more power.
like another said, you can only get so much whp out of 300 cubes and pump gas...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Go with the Procharger. With the Boss block and stroker=5.3L so your engine will make torque. Keep the compression around 9.5.1 and you can make 800+rwhp with the meth injection. I would say you would have a real shot at 900+rwhp with that kind of set up. The Procharger will also alow you to have a better chance of finding traction on the street. Here is the downside, its going to be expensive to go full blown F1C or F1R. I would say price wise it will be competitive with a turbo kit, especially if you want to do it right and that means using a dedicated drive, and not a cog set up as a cog set up is not street friendly. Nice thing about the centri system is you could run a waste gate on the cold/inlet side and bleed off boost, allowing you to be pullied for 22psi but only see 15#, thus making it pump friendly. Then when you want to make 800-900rwhp fill up with 100 ocatane and dial the boost controller to 20psi.

Users who are viewing this thread