F/I Questions: Turbo vs Centri

DIB_Coyote

Established Member
Currently have a 2014 5.0 MT-82 Track Pack car, this Spring I am planning to go boosted in some form. I was originally hell bent on getting a Vortech V3 setup, but after seeing a lot of Paxton/Vortech guys demod and go Turbo (CPR, JPC, On3) I've been rethinking my entire build thought process. The main complaint that I hear from Centri guys is the lack of Torque, which can be addressed with a TQ Booster. All things equal, is a Turbo car on the same psi, going to pull hard on a TQ Boosted Centri?

Also, what is everyone's personal experience with what Turbo Kits are best? CPR? JPC? On3?

I do a lot of roll racing and plan to track the car in the 1/4mi. Car will be going on E85 within a years time.

Thanks.

KPatrone

Established Member
Currently have a 2014 5.0 MT-82 Track Pack car, this Spring I am planning to go boosted in some form. I was originally hell bent on getting a Vortech V3 setup, but after seeing a lot of Paxton/Vortech guys demod and go Turbo (CPR, JPC, On3) I've been rethinking my entire build thought process. The main complaint that I hear from Centri guys is the lack of Torque, which can be addressed with a TQ Booster. All things equal, is a Turbo car on the same psi, going to pull hard on a TQ Boosted Centri?

Also, what is everyone's personal experience with what Turbo Kits are best? CPR? JPC? On3?

I do a lot of roll racing and plan to track the car in the 1/4mi. Car will be going on E85 within a years time.

Thanks.
I would go with JPC, CPR, or hellion for twins. On3 very budget friendly, but not the easiest to install. Any of the 3 I mentioned can get you north of 1000hp

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Here are two buddies of mine running.

[youtube_browser]vDSDJ4aGycs[/youtube_browser]

Camera car: Paxton 2200, 9.5psi, E85, o/r mid, axle backs. Made 675whp.

Car winning: On3, 11psi, E85, T56

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
the fact that threads like this are still being started is laughable.

go turbo. the options listed are all proven, and will just depend on what you're going to be using the car for. some of us have them set up for roll racing or half mile events. some for 1/8 and 1/4.

All will be faster than something belt driven.

your MT82 is going to be hating life though, so i'd look into other options for that.

happy hunting.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep wut he said. ^^

Take it from 2 people who have done both. Wakebum and myself both started with a centri and eventually went turbo.

Paxton/Vortech can be made to run, and run hard. But don't be fooled by the whole idea that a 6 rib and 1000 hp capable blower are going to play nice together. They won't. Been there done that.

A v3 will likely work fine 6 rib, but not a Paxton.

Al that said, the power curve is boring IMO unless the car has a fully built motor with a 8 rib 3.33 or smaller and e85.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
^^ agreed. Iv had 2 5.0 cars. 1 auto 1 mt82. Both had a Paxton and I had a blast with it. However Iv had my on3 kit on and on the street for about a week and already have more fun with it. Both kits are s bitch to install. On3 has alignment issues and the Paxton has cold side piping installation issues but not too bad. The real thing is, are you gonna install the kit yourself? Got tools? Mechanically capable?

KP_510

Established Member
I'm running the Vortech JT trim with the 8 rib & 3.15 pulley set up on my 13. I'm really just getting use to it, I have the torque booster and I'm having absolutely no trouble with torque whatsoever. I'm still on street tires and I could easily blow them right off but I tend not to drive like that in most situations.

I think it's really all about what you want to do with the car. My end goal is about 850-900HP on E85 I'll never wanna go over that amount so the Vortech was really all I needed. I'm around 610-620 now and that's already pretty damn quick when I get on it, it's enough to throw me back in the seat and the Tial BOV sounds amazing so I'm happy even before I start on the rest of my build. My advice is just think about your end goals and what you're willing to spend to get there and then make your decisions from there!

Last edited:

CPRsm

All things equal, is a Turbo car on the same psi, going to pull hard on a TQ Boosted Centri?
Had to go find this lol

Probably going to pull pretty good all things equal. This is the same car, fuel, Dyno, tuner, and boost level. Turbo vs Tq booster (wish I bought a turbo mod)
This was an older technology 75mm wheel. The 76 we run now is even better.

turbovstorquebooster_zps6d21706d.png

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I raced my buddies on3 car @ 8 psi and pulled him with my paxton tq booster car @ 9.5 psi. Both autos on same fuel. Same psi it would be close with him probably edgeing me. People on here are making it sound like the turbo car will blow the doors off a similar boost paxton tq booster car and I dont think thats the case. However, once you start going to higher than stock motor boost levels the turbo wins out for sure.

Doug1227

Established Member
Never had a centri...had a KB 2.8LC, now have Hellion Twin 62's....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the turbos!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yea if i wanted to roll race i would just go to the freeway. Roll racing is the only way you win anything with that stick shift turbo setup

4VFTW

Established Member
If you can complain about lack of torque in a centri car then you would probably complain about getting a blowjob from Kate Upton

Users who are viewing this thread