F-150 or Tundra

Jroc

Established Member
Toyota is not quite as good as they once were. I have owned Chevys, Fords, and Toyotas for the last 30 years. At one time, Toyota was way ahead of everybody but not anymore. They are slipping big time and the Tundra is proof to me they had no idea how to build a full size truck.

The best thing about the Tundra is the 5.7 engine. Other than that you can keep the rest of it. Oh, dont forget if you really plan on using as a truck to get a couple of extra tailgates that literally come apart at the seams when loading a 4 wheeler or something. Just google Tundra tailgate and see what you come up with. :D

While Ford may be down a bit on power they are by far imo the best built truck out there. Many will argue they are not down on power since you seldom drag race a truck anyway. There is a reason they sell so well. The Tundra sucks in the sales dept and has been an embarrassment to the company. They just figured everybody would buy one since it was a Yota but they thought wrong. ;-)

Excellent post!

If there one thing Ford does very well over all other things is they build a damn good full-size truck. Like I tell people go drive them all and come up with your own conclussion.

ff500

Established Member
We bought this recently, by far the best pickup I've owned. 6 speed auto is a great trans and it will tow 10200 lbs, very quiet ride and the sync is a great option as well.

IMG_0229.jpg

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Tundra will last longer.

was this a serious post? :lol:

As much as I bash ford for being behind the competition on powertrains even I will admit that the f-150 is the best truck out there by a long shot. The interior quality is on par with european premium cars and chassis/suspension is fairly indestructible. As far as which will last longer, ford trucks are way OVER-ENGINEERED and thus will keep going strong as the miles pile up. And should you need to do a repair the parts are available and dirt cheap. There's a reason why the f-150 is the best selling vehicle of all time :bash:

amxguy1970

Established Member
I would say the GM and Ford trucks are neck and neck, both are awesome trucks and will last a very long time.

Yes Toyota was alot better in the past (namely their Tacoma's though) and lately their quality has fallen off a bit.

As far as full sizes go I would put the tundra down with the Titan, it isn't even up to par with the new Ram's. American auto makers can make a full size truck, and they over engineer them to last and take abuse. Toyota trucks were designed with the handy man in mind and the urban truck owner who might make a run to Lowes or move their kid into College on occasion. American companies design their truck for Billy Joe who owns 10,000 acres in Montana and will overload the crap out of a truck if it means he can bring everything back in only one trip.

If you are looking for a truck that drives like the Camry you are trading in and is pretty fast then buy a Tundra. But if you are looking for a truck to last and use/abuse for 5-10 uears I would buy either a Ford or GM. Don't get me started on the laundry list of issues they have had. Most have been resolved (tranny/engine) but frame and bed still have issues. Want to buy a truck with 1980's frame boxing techniques?

Besides, Toyota's aren't even the fastest any more and once their newness has worn off as well as their marketing, well, see the sales for your self...

Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales, Year-to-Date, August 2009

No. 1: Ford F-Series
261,549 -27.3% YTD
August 2009: 45,590
August 2008: 40,429

No. 2: Chevrolet Silverado
209,987 -34.4% YTD
August 2009: 32,421
August 2008: 55,765

No. 3: Dodge Ram
129,753 -26.0% YTD
August 2009: 17,514
August 2008: 24,974

No. 4: Toyota Tacoma
78,260 -26.9% YTD
August 2009: 12,547
August 2008: 12,407

No. 5: GMC Sierra
72,189 -37.3% YTD
August 2009: 11,657
August 2008: 20,297

No. 6: Toyota Tundra
50,291 -52.7% YTD
August 2009: 7,872
August 2008: 14,401

No. 7: Ford Ranger
41,864 -17.8% YTD
August 2009: 7,746
August 2008: 4,920

No. 8: Chevrolet Colorado
25,472 -38.6% YTD
August 2009: 4,653
August 2008: 4,145

No. 9: Nissan Frontier
18,961 -51.8% YTD
August 2009: 3,875
August 2008: 9,140

No. 10: Nissan Titan
11,805 -56.3% YTD
August 2009: 1,534
August 2008: 5,871

That is my 2 cents!

Tyler

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
i have a 02 tundra with about 180k on the clock. it runs like a champ and i can tell you i beat the ever living hell out of this thing every day at work. with that being said after seeing my buddies brand new f150 and driving a few myself id prolly pick up an f150. but dont think id lose sleep over getting another tundra.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
How many Ford trucks have you owned? BTW- Your last paragraph doesn't really give a good argument bud.

Probably the best post yet :beer:

I havent owned any ford trucks. Just two cars (03 Cobra and 09 GT500).

Im in construction and always talking to people about their cars and work trucks. Thats just the opnions they have given me.

I was just giving the guy my opnion. I will be the first to admit that Toyota's quailty has gone down over the last few years. I noticed they started using more plastic parts than they use to.

I wouldnt buy a F150 but thats just me.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
The 2nd vid driving thru the course is what does it for me. I think I saw one where they ran a Chevy down that course as well, and it did almost as well as the Ford. The Toyota is a flexing piece of crap. With that said, I'm just waiting for the salesman from the stealership to call me tomorrow, and if the price is where I want it, I'll be ordering a new '10 F250 Super Duty Power Stroke :beer:

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
go look up Toyota Tundra frame rust and see how the "vaunted" Toyota reliability is for you.. no thank you I'll stick with my Fords that don't have the frame rust completely into many pieces....

Jroc

Established Member
I think the Tundra is the only modern fullsized truck to not use a fully boxed frame. That is pretty stupid BTW.

Still they do use aluminum blocks and forged cranks which are going to make it such a better truck.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
I love how a guy puts a 143k miles on a Tundra in 9 years and uses that as proof it will last longer. Solid argument.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I love how a guy puts a 143k miles on a Tundra in 9 years and uses that as proof it will last longer. Solid argument.

I was just giving my opnion. Take it or leave it. I could care less. Its a Ford forum so its gonna be lopsided opnions. If you go to a Toyota website they will give you total opposites of this site.

3Mach1

Established Member
Well, the older smaller tundras were dang reliable from my understanding. My parents have a 03 V8 4 Runner limited that has been flawless since day one. Its had one set of front brake pads and that is it in 7 years. Now, its not abused but it is used. This was a first year redesign and I was skeptical but you cant find a thing wrong anywhere and its as tight as a vault to this day. Its still on the original battery and even though its a gas hog they cant justify getting rid of it because they love the dang thing.

Somewhere around model year 2006 or so it seemed to me quality in general started slipping. Not just on the bigger Tundras that came out in 07 I think. Yota just got too big and some stuff got away from them and I think they took the buying public to be idiots. (Some are but enthusiasts generally have a good feel for what is going on elsewhere)

I personally owned a 1986 Toyota small truck with a 22RE and it went over 200K with nothing but regular stuff. Never had a minutes trouble out of that truck and I got scared of the mileage and got rid of it and my uncle drove it forever until it got totaled. Dumbass me went out and bought a low mileage S10 that was a bucket of crap. Got rid of that one thinking I got a bad one and bought another S10 2 years newer that was worse!!!!!!:kaboom:

Those were the days when Yota ruled but now Ford has caught up and I dont think GM is far behind. They would be my second choice on a full size truck though.

I would really like to see Ford get on the ball with the Ranger. I really dont need a full size truck but they have left the Ranger out of any updates forever. Im surprised its even still around as bad as Ford has neglected it and I promise you I know they are better trucks than the S10/s.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Gooch03

Established Member
I owned a 2004 F150 and I never had any issues with it. It drove like a cadillac (compared to my 02 WS6 I should say) and it was fun when the pavement ended. It towed boats and campers, lawn equipment, you name it and it did it effortlessly. 5.4 Triton FTW

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
I'm on my second F-150 now. Just picked up an '09 XLT after retiring my '88 with 297,000 miles on it. The build quality of the new one is light years ahead of the '88 and I have no reason to doubt it will last just as long.

chinchilla

Established Member
my dad has an 05 f-150, 140,000 miles, has not had to replace anything. It runs like its new. Seems to be a pretty solid truck. Don't know a ton about tundras but I love the styling of the new F-150 it is badass. I also love the new raptor if i had the money and need for a truck I would have one of those.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i recently bought my first truck and opted for the f-150, but i was only looking at domestics. but i hear the toyota has the powerful engine for that class.

so far i am loving it, and probably should have done this earlier

it is not too fast (thats what the cobra is for) but it is nice for a daily commute and hauling shit.

vortex03

Established Member
If you want a REAL truck buy a Ford F-150. The only proof you need is the F-150 has been the best selling truck for 30+ years in a row. That should tell you something. Most older farmers will tell you straight up to buy an american truck whether its Ford, GM, or even Dodge.I'm not crazy about seeing a jap truck haulling American hay. If I want a fast truck I'll buy a Lightning. Everyone knows that headers are for high end torque, where manifolds are for low end torque.

I know these links are a little old but it still proves my point.

Cracked Camshaft

Rusty Frames

Users who are viewing this thread